Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Question Vintage Dometic Refrigerator Repair Shop?

The original Dometic refrigerator from my 1961 Bambi does not work. I was told it would light (emiting a large flame) but the cooling unit was not cooling.

If possible I would like to locate the parts and get a local shop to fix it to save on shipping costs. Or would you recommend a specialty shop? She needs to be very reliable after the rehab, if not, well lets not go there...

Where is the best place to get parts or have it fixed, etc.? Anyone out there had this done? How much did it cost you?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Denver, Co
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 07:52 PM   #2

61 Dometic Refregerator

You can find all you ever wanted to know about amonia type and other type refrigerators at www.rvmobile.com
Old 04-14-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
What model is the original Dometic fridge?

I am trying to find the model number for the original Dometic fridge that is in my 1961 Bambi? Does anyone know what model it is?
Old 04-15-2002, 09:33 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Andy,

Once you figure out what unit came with yor rig, here is a site that offers manuals as well as rebuild parts and rebuilt units out west.

http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/dometic_manuals.htm

hope this helps
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 10:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Andy. Repairing a cooling unit is very specialized. Local shops cannot repair them. You must remove the cooling unit and send or take it to a cooling unit repair shop. A cooling unit contains ammonia and water at a very high pressure. To open that sealed system can be lethal, if you don't have the expertise on "how to." Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:02 PM   #6
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Talking The fridge is a Dometic M16

I found the model and the fridge is a 1961 Dometic M16. I do not see it listed on Dometic's website. I can't find it on www.gasrefrigeration.net either. I am going to contact rvmobile.com to find out if they can rebuild my cooling unit. I will keep you all posted. If anyone knows where I might find some info on this 41 year old fridge?
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2002, 11:18 PM   #7
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Response...

Quote:
Andy;

In general, we don't rebuild cooling units built before 1980, which
obviously includes yours. Also, if the burner is like a flame thrower that
sounds like someone has enlarged the orifice, and too high of a flame could
plug a cooling unit. Parts are almost non-existent for those older models.
I'd go with a new refrigerator.

T.J.

T.J. Gillmore III
mailto:tj@rvmobile.com
RV Mobile Inc.
11715 HWY 99 S, Everett, WA 98204
Phone 425 355-1170, Fax 425 348-3473
Old 10-07-2002, 07:06 PM   #8
hex

Question Hangin on the Refers Door Like a Magnet

Another hanging thread:
OK forum-Andy what is the disposition of this? Inquiring mind wants to know.

T.J. Gillmore III mailto:tj@rvmobile.com
RV Mobile Inc. Everett, WA 98204
states:
Quote:
In general, we don't rebuild cooling units built before 1980, Parts are almost non-existent for those older models.
I'd go with a new refrigerator.
Is this gospel? or just a minority vendor opinion ??
Yall know...the old "It Can't Be / Aint Worth Bein Fixed"...so "Buy IT New from ME" Spiel.
Have any of us had a pre-1980 refer repaired sucessfully??
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 07:46 PM   #9
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
It is not really gospel...

Basically, I found a place that would rebuild the cooling unit for $550 or so. For a little bit more you get modern technology. Plus a lot more cubic footage inside the unit.

I still have my old fridge and might just restore her. She needs some cosmetic work too, but it would be nice to have her working again. We'll see!
Old 10-08-2002, 04:08 PM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe

The PO of my 1971 Tradewind had the Dometic refrigerator repaired, and it does work well now. It needs help on hot days, and it will not stay lit during travel, but essentially it makes ice cubes after 5-6 hours.
So, as long as there are parts available, fixing should be possible.
There are rebuild units available as well.
If I had to do it again, I would install a new refrigerator and update the venting system as per the recommendations on the countless threads on refrigeration in this forum.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Auburn , California
old thread related to my current problem

I have a restored Bambi II with an old Dometic M16 frig that lights but doesn't cool. I've researched this on the web several times but all the leads turn into dead ends as all refused to take on a frig this old. Found this thread today and my hope was renewed (only slightly, given the date of this thread). Does anyone know of a resource for repairing a frig this old? Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
gflaig914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
You should compare the cost of a repair to purchase of a new unit. My father in law replaced the amonia unit in his and within a year he was having other problems. A new unit will also outperform the older unit and some of the new units provide more interior space with the same exterior foot print.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gflaig914 View Post
I have a restored Bambi II with an old Dometic M16 frig that lights but doesn't cool. I've researched this on the web several times but all the leads turn into dead ends as all refused to take on a frig this old. Found this thread today and my hope was renewed (only slightly, given the date of this thread). Does anyone know of a resource for repairing a frig this old? Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
I have had some success working on these old fridges. My 59 Ambassador has it's original fridge & it has presented challenges, but it still works 52 years later.

The first thing to do is sniff around & see if you smell ammonia. If you do, the cooling unit has leaked so it must be rebuilt or replaced. I have heard of places that will rebuild them but I've never had it done myself.

The next thing is the burner & although you say it's burning, it may not be burning correctly. The "flue" will rust over time & fine rust particles rain down on the burner & start to block the tiny orifices (orifi?). Remove the burner assembly & turn it upside down & shake. I've been amazed at how much rust particles that will fall out of a burner that appears to be clean.............& burns. It looks like pepper

The next thing is to get a round wire brush from a big box store (used for cleaning copper plumbing pipes before soldering) & ram it up the flue & down from above, using it like a chimney sweep. Again, lots of rust particles will fall out.

Reassemble the burner & test the gas joints with soapy water before lighting.

Assuming you get the fridge to cool again, you may need to repeat this process annually because the flue will continue to rust .
Good luck,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
TorpedoFamily

Currently Looking...
2014 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ozark , Alabama
Frig help

I have found a shop in Shipsheewana, Indiana that repairs absorption units. He has a large inventory of cooling units. I have mine at his shop right now being fixed. There is a shop in Shipshee that builds new cooling units and Leon gets his new units there. Worth a call.

Leon is 260-768-7059.

Hope this helps.
Torpedo Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedo Family View Post
I have found a shop in Shipsheewana, Indiana that repairs absorption units. He has a large inventory of cooling units. I have mine at his shop right now being fixed. There is a shop in Shipshee that builds new cooling units and Leon gets his new units there. Worth a call.

Leon is 260-768-7059.

Hope this helps.
Interesting........................Is he repairing a vintage unit or a late model one?
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Ours lasted a year after a "re-build." Granted we're full timers, but if you plan on keeping the coach and traveling, I'd replace the unit. The new Dometics are very much improved; we got seven years out of our last "Classic", which is not bad for 24/7.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Auburn , California
Wish I could get a new one...........

Thanks to all who replied with helpful suggestions. First let me say that I would love to purchase a new unit but unfortunately I'm dealing with all newly replaced cabinetry which I don't want to redo and none of the new models fit the opening. (Any one aware of one I've missed? Cutout dimensions for frig:
26 & 1/2 H x 21 W). Did find an icebox @ Vintage Trailer Supply that I think will work but that's my default choice if all else fails.

So at this point, unless this thread bears additional fruit, I'm going to pull the unit, try cleaning burner and flu as suggested. I've never smelled any ammonia but the leak may have been long ago. If that doesn't help will next take it to RV Doctor George in Sacramento to see if an adjustment will bring it back to life (his suggestion and the only person willing to even look at it so far). My intuition tells me that it probably won't and unfortunately he said he doesn't have any replacement parts for it in his junk yard so if he can't get it cooling and there are no other leads from this thread I'll be calling Leon in Indiana. Obviously I'd be thrilled to find a resource a little closer to home, somewhere in Nor Cal or at least the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks again for your help!
gflaig914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Try "burping" the fridge. Turn it upside down overnight and then right side up for another night. That is what brought mine back to life. It now cools very well unless it is hot outside.

Some of the passages are small in the cooling unit and over time small particles get concentrated in one spot or the other. The act of "burping" usually clears these passages, re-distributing the settlement. Eventually the refer will fail but this will help to prolong it's life.

FYI - I have a Dometic M-16 that works very well, so far....
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gflaig914 View Post
Thanks to all who replied with helpful suggestions. First let me say that I would love to purchase a new unit but unfortunately I'm dealing with all newly replaced cabinetry which I don't want to redo and none of the new models fit the opening. (Any one aware of one I've missed? Cutout dimensions for frig:
26 & 1/2 H x 21 W). Did find an icebox @ Vintage Trailer Supply that I think will work but that's my default choice if all else fails.

So at this point, unless this thread bears additional fruit, I'm going to pull the unit, try cleaning burner and flu as suggested. I've never smelled any ammonia but the leak may have been long ago. If that doesn't help will next take it to RV Doctor George in Sacramento to see if an adjustment will bring it back to life (his suggestion and the only person willing to even look at it so far). My intuition tells me that it probably won't and unfortunately he said he doesn't have any replacement parts for it in his junk yard so if he can't get it cooling and there are no other leads from this thread I'll be calling Leon in Indiana. Obviously I'd be thrilled to find a resource a little closer to home, somewhere in Nor Cal or at least the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks again for your help!

Try this place...aaarv.net... they're in Sacramento and have a lot of older parts . I found a thermostat for an m28 .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags