Old 11-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
I also have a the same leak. I believe it may be from condensation. The fan blades drip. There are water droplets on the top edge above the roofline. I resealed is the screws on the vent cover which did not help. I plan to reseal the fan and plumbing vents to see if that makes any difference.

Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
- Get a ladder.
- Get a water hose with a nozzle to turn water on or off.
- Get on top of your Airstream. (Place your feet on the riveted seams.)
- Turn on water. Dump a five gallon bucket of water if the hose is not enough.
- Have someone standing inside to notice first sign of water.
- Narrow down where you apply water, moving water supply (Water flows downhill, not uphill.)

- Repeat if necessary.

- If confused, narrow down where you apply water stream. Ask a neighbor who may be handy.

Appears to be the vent to the shower is the source. If not, go... upstream...

Water is flowing down the inside skin from a higher point. The fiber glass insulation is absorbing water. Eventually it will begin to mold. Then you may have worse problems than a minor, but persistent leak. This inner space may never dry out.

When you narrow down where the water enters the area between the exterior and the interior... figure out what needs to be caulked, taped or whatever you find useful and permanent.

If you are unable to figure it out. Hire a plumber. They understand the limited ability of water to flow up, unless under pressure.

Take it to a RV Dealer. Pay them to do this. Make sure you test the source of the water while there at the Dealership. Read their warranty posted on the WALL, before you spend one cent.

Good luck. When you discover the source of the water. Post it.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It.can be anything: a seam or rivet, a running light, an awning/awning pole, window, fan, vent, antenna, solar or antenna wire, or esp. The air conditioner around the gasket. And dont forget windows.

Sewer vents are often overlooked.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
I just came down from my roof attempting to fix this leak. There are eight screws that hold the fan vents in place. These eight screws are also in the condensation channel that drains out to the roof through a hole on the low side of the vent. I removed those screws, put a drip of caulk around each screw hole and put the screws back in. I also put a dab of caulk under the two screws that hold the vent top in place. And put more caulk around the plumbing vents making a smooth angle to the roof. There were channels from the original caulk where water could pool.

Hopefully this will fix the leak. I just don’t see any other places where it could leak and still believe it’s from condensation. I tested the repair with water and saw no leaks.

I will report back the results after more cold condesating days or rainy days.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #19
LDM
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Jonesville , Louisiana
I had the same problem found it to be vent pipe bushing had slip out of place. When it rain hard & wind blew it in vent. Remove it put bushing in right place caulk everything up good.
I found it by pouring water down vent out it came on floor. I removed the other vent and the bushing out of place also.
LDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #20
LDM
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Jonesville , Louisiana
This was sewer vent pipe.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Hood River , Oregon
The Ventline vents have a drain hole that should be kept clear. Below is a photo showing it on our 1994 Excella. If the vent is off center then the drain hole should be on the lower side.

We haven't had trouble with this vent leaking. If we did, then I would remove and remount it with a 3/8 thick spacer underneath to raise that drain hole above the roof line a little more. Happy to machine these for those folks who are experiencing leaks. Please PM or email me.

When a flat vent is placed on a curved roof it creates a low flat spot that can pool water. This can be seen in photo. That could conceivably let water run into the drain hole. The heads of the screws that hold the vent to the roof should be sealed when installed or water could come in past those if they work loose.

All the best,
Hein

P.S. Here is a install how-to (not mine) with good photos but no mention of sealing the tops of the mounting screws or maintaining an open drain port.
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
After putting a dab of caulk under each of the eight-to-ten screws that hold the vent to the roof, under the cover with two screws which I also dabbed. I did not have any leak in a one-hour heavy rain storm. I also added caulk around the plumbing vent pipes, making them look like the ones in Hein’s picture. I need a longer rainy and damp day to be confident that it is fixed, but am hopeful after this short rainfall test.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Hopefully this was our problem, we took it to the shop and they found the vents were not properly installed, in one of them the pipe coming out of the trailer was too short and the other one was wrongly installed, ill report later after we test it under a down poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM View Post
I had the same problem found it to be vent pipe bushing had slip out of place. When it rain hard & wind blew it in vent. Remove it put bushing in right place caulk everything up good.
I found it by pouring water down vent out it came on floor. I removed the other vent and the bushing out of place also.
Sol_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #24

Waco , Texas
Thank you all for the great tips. We're pretty handy so we appreciate all your suggestions!

We did take your suggestions and caulked the screws in the bathroom vent. We replaced the weather stripping that was in there too while we were there. We caulked around it, leaving the draining hole up we also caulked around the sewer vent. We're unsure where the "vent pipe bushing" would be but would be interested in checking it out if we could get more details.

It rained hard after re-caulking and we still have the leaks. One in the ceiling, at the seam, to the right of the fan and one along the wall under the cabinet, straight down from the one in the ceiling.

So we bought a suction cup and some Capt Tolley's and have been hitting rivets. We haven't had any substantial rain yet. Think our next step may be to do what Ray mentioned and/or a leak test.

Keep the suggestions coming and if I find the cure, I promise to post it!

Thanks all,
Theresa
emelaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #25
LDM
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Jonesville , Louisiana
The vent pipe bushing is under the black tank vent, and to tell if it is leaking pour water in the black tank vent and watch for it to leak. If it leaks pull the vent cover off and seal around black pipe at the roof.The bushing is between vent cover & vent pipe. Both grey & black tank bushing were out of place on my 25fb. I first sealed around vent cap, still leaked. Until i sealed around vent pipe itself and got bushing back in proper place, no leaks now.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #26

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM View Post
The vent pipe bushing is under the black tank vent, and to tell if it is leaking pour water in the black tank vent and watch for it to leak. If it leaks pull the vent cover off and seal around black pipe at the roof.The bushing is between vent cover & vent pipe. Both grey & black tank bushing were out of place on my 25fb. I first sealed around vent cap, still leaked. Until i sealed around vent pipe itself and got bushing back in proper place, no leaks now.
OOO my friend! You, sir, are owed a beer! We have found our culprit!

Question: I'm attaching a pic of our vent, can that top be finessed off or will we need to remove the caulk and unscrew it from the roof?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as2017fc25fb.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	327366  
emelaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #27
LDM
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Jonesville , Louisiana
Remove from roof and you will see black pipe & bushing. I would recommend checking both. They are not hard to get off.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #28
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelaich View Post
Hello Friends,

We are having this exact issue with our 2017 25FB. Did you all find a solution?

Thank you,
Theresa
Hi emelaich,*

We are very sorry about the leak you have. If we can assist, please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*