Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
clinton , Tennessee
Whats first? Axle or Belly Pan & Subfloor?

Hello-Brand new here, we have a 1962 Globe Trotter 19 that we just purchased a few weeks ago. We are planning on replacing the subfloor and belly pan and I was wondering what my sequence should be. Should we replace the axle first and then do the subfloor/belly or the other way around? We are also planning on using the POR-15 rust system on the frame itself, so again, where does this fall into the sequence?

Side note, I will be having someone else replace

If this has been answered before I apologize, I did try to use the search function but couldn't find an exact answer.

Thanks!
62GlobeTrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
I would start on the belly pan/subfloor project. That way you don’t have a significant materials outlay right up front and will get a set of eyes on the “bones” of the trailer.

A lot of folks dive into one of these projects and eventually become overwhelmed and give up, a near 60 year old trailer will need a lot of tic. Best to not have a pile of cash in it if you eventually hit that wall...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I would suggest you pull the belly pan first. That will give you a better idea if any frame repairs are needed. If repairs are needed, and they are adjacent to the axle, the repairs and axle replacement may be more economical to do at the same time. (Based on the idea the axle needs to be removed to do frame repairs.) I am assuming your torsion rod axle needs to be replaced.

If frame repairs are necessary, that area of the sub-floor should to be removed for the repairs to take place.

Photos of the sub-floor and frame would be helpful.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I would do the axles last. The rubber in a torsion axle has a service life. If you install a new axle and the trailer sits for a long time while other parts are being repaired that is not good for axle.

And know that very early years of torsion axles were welded on. Like your trailer.

>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
saint louis , Missouri
Also don't pull the belly pan unless it must be replaced. Mine is a '66 and belly pan pretty good! it would be a lot of work for me to pull it off. Zillions of rivets! If you are new need to understand what an undertaking this is if you cannot flip the whole thing over. Think about laying on your back replacing....
tripnfall76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
saint louis , Missouri
Vintage says pull it but since you are doing a full gut job, you will know the status of your frame w/o dropping belly pan during your floor gut. You also have a shorter trailer, they have a lot less problems for rot than the larger trailers you read about. Could be totally wrong, also depends on storage and upkeep, location, ect. Good luck.
tripnfall76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Lift and cribbage the AS so you can safely work beneath. You want to get enough height .. ideally so you can sit up underneath.. but most folks crawl underneath and do the work... to each their own...

Remove Bellypan.. make sure you use protection! There are nasty things which you do not want to breathe, get in your eyes, ears, etc..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
The corners of the bellypan are a royal pain to replace. The best thing to do is keep at least the outer foot for a template. It could save you hours of frustration.

Great trailer to restore!
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote