Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
AC on Roof

not sure I want to do this, but I am considering buying a used roof air unit I found. Could this be installed in the middle vent over the kitchen>
If so what do I need to know.
Can I do it alone with a little assistance?
Am I nuts?

Just thinking about Summer trip, we don't usually camp much in July and August and when we did we have used a window air unit Over the couch) that worked well but could be better...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I dont know it I would bother with a used unit, a lot of work for something that may not work well?
Here are some hints for installation:
http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/ai..._ac/index.html
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Factory installation

I could be wrong, but strongly suspect your trailer came from the factory set up for roof A/C installation. Most have wiring and condensate drain pre-installed adjacent to the roof vent over the bed area.
If so, the hardest part of the installation will be wrestling the heavy unit up on the roof without damaging the A/C, your trailer, or yourself. I have never attempted this. In fact, I paid a local shop to remove mine because I did not have a safe way to access the roof. I have heard of others doing this using two tall step ladders (one on either side of the trailer) and robust lumber planks run between the ladders. If do you step on the roof, make sure you are on a rib.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
According to Airstream, the pre-wiring for the a/c unit will be located 124" from rib #1 for the 1966 26' trailers. Rib numbering start from the front immediate aft of the curved end cap.

When adding a/c to my 1967 Caravel, the published pre-wiring information was not very accurate, but a starting point. As I had to add the condensate drain to my Caravel, I removed the interior roof and wall skins. Lo and behold, I found the pre-wiring exactly where I intended to add the a/c unit. No condensate drain was installed from the factory.

My method for getting the Polar Cub unit on the roof was to park my pickup truck mere inches from the side of trailer. Standing on the truck bed sidewall made it a simple task for two people to place the unit on the roof without climbing on the roof. To make it even easier, you can remove the trailer wheels and lower the trailer closer to the ground.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Just s thought. That wiring has been there for 50 years. When I restore cars, the wiring is usually the first thing to go. Unlike house wiring, this stuff is likely barely at minimum and has been subjected to serious heat fluctuations and movement/flex. If you keep the wiring, it's another reason to install a new AC unit as the current draw will probably be much less than the old units were expected to draw.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Second floor window that you can park near:
Two planks and some closed cell foam sheets for protection.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
According to Airstream, the pre-wiring for the a/c unit will be located 124" from rib #1 for the 1966 26' trailers. Rib numbering start from the front immediate aft of the curved end cap.
Did you contact Airstream for that information? I am considering A/C for my 1958 Traveler and read somewhere that they started prewiring around that time.
thanks in advance
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
ALAN,

Just wanted to note we did not find the factory installed wiring and drain line when we did our '68 Overlander. We were able to run the power and condensate drain through the overhead compartments with ease and without removing interior panels. We cut a new 14 x 14 hole for our unit to keep it just forward of the axles and to not interfere with the other roof vents (skydome).

We were inspired by WayneG's approach to lifting the unit. Our version of Wayne's lift is captured in posts 8 & 9 here, https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html All done by myself, although that wasn't the original plan.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I may be stating the obvious here, but, if I could get a new AC for less than a grand I would think twice about going through the work of installing a used unit.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
nice responses. I have read that the wiring is there and where it is.
I have to get my head around cutting a hole in the roof. Not hard but...well you know.
As for a new vs used unit...I have seen 50 year old ac units working fine and I would buy a recent one like 10 years old or so. The cost savings is large.
Truth be known I would really like a low profile model.

Not sure what the outcome will be, I have only missed having roof air once in 6 years of owning the trailer. Upper 90s in middle GA. Nights were ok with the temps in the 70s using my window air unit. And it pops out in a minute for travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	284185  
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Just got off the phone with a service guy who has done Airstream work for 30+ years. He gave me a number of reasons why in my situation a portable air unit would be best.
The drain tube in the wall is likely cracked and broken by now, the new drain pans don't work that well. There may not be sufficient electrical connection as it never had air when it was ordered ( I have the original order form) He says a portable air unit set in the bathtub where it will drain can do a great job. Vented out the back window
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 04-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Another option

I recently installed a mini split A/C with Heat Pump on my 67 Overlander. Details available if you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC front viewR.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	284189  
Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Did you contact Airstream for that information? I am considering A/C for my 1958 Traveler and read somewhere that they started prewiring around that time.
thanks in advance
Yes, information from Airstream. Information I have is good for 64-66 and close for 67-68
Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
Just got off the phone with a service guy who has done Airstream work for 30+ years. He gave me a number of reasons why in my situation a portable air unit would be best.
The drain tube in the wall is likely cracked and broken by now, the new drain pans don't work that well. There may not be sufficient electrical connection as it never had air when it was ordered ( I have the original order form) He says a portable air unit set in the bathtub where it will drain can do a great job. Vented out the back window
Hmmm. He might be right about the condensate drain if it is even there to begin with...it was not on my '67 but the aluminum wiring was there and the factory drew a square on the bottom side of the roof panel that read "NO A/C" in red permanent marker. I assumed this was to tell the factory workers to NOT cut a hole in the roof. The wiring was coiled right underneath this red square (about 16x16 roughly hand drawn).

I used 1/2" vinyl tubing for the drain line that is feed from a condensate pump added to a new Coleman Polar Cub (I think I got the name right). So, no condensate pan to worry about and if the pump fails, the condensate drains off the roof from the top side.

The Polar Cub is low profile, relatively light, and under $1000. The 13000btu unit will freeze me out in Texas heat. But, keep in mind my trailer is only 17' long.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
AC Install

I had a 13,500 BTU Dometic, Penguin installed in our 1967 22-ft., Safari in August of 2014. The unit cost $975 with additional $360 for labor. There was already a 14" x 14" vent at the AC installation location. It was pre-wired for AC from the factory. There was no drain. Drain was run between the skins exiting into upper cabinets then into closet, through floor coming out behind the wheel. The area immediately adjacent to the 14" x 14" vent hole was reinforced with wood (between skins) cut to the same curvature of the roof spreading out the weight of the unit as there was not a rib(s) very close.

Greg Anderson
Monona, WI
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150826_170049.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	284201  
gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post

Truth be known I would really like a low profile model.
I have a low profile Dometic Penguin. It is pretty noisy. Higher profile seem to be more quiet.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
I recently installed a mini split A/C with Heat Pump on my 67 Overlander. Details available if you are interested.
What is a mini split AC?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
ductless seen this done well but pricey..think I am taking the service guys advice. 10,000 btu for 200 bucks
Will report the results after a hot Georgia day
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Google it:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
What is a mini split AC?
Mini split systems are widely used in Asia and the Caribbean to cool small spaces. Essentially, the outdoor unit (compressor) is mounted outside the trailer and is connected via copper Freon lines to the inside unit which produces cold air (or hot if in heat pump mode). They are relatively light weight, very quiet, and draw less than 10 amps on max cool. Runs easily on a Honda 2000 propane genny.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I truly like that idea. Smokeless Joe was a guest at our N Georgia Rally some years back and he had this in his Argosy. It performed very well and the lack of noise inside made it really nice.
I ordered a portable 10,000 BTU unit. Shoudl fit nicely in my bathtub and vent out the back window with the addition of some clear thick (or is it thick clear) vinyl in there.
I have use that stuff on my front window with the unit place in there and it worked well even in heavy rains.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!