Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Tailgating

Tailgating seems to be the Provincial sport here in Ontario. It's fine when you're not towing because at least you can see the bloodshot eyes of the guy behind you, but when towing it's a nightmare. My mirrors are pretty good and I can see behind the Airstream quite well; except when the idiot behind is only 6 feet off my bumper! Sometimes the only clue to there being anyone there is the shadow on the road. Last weekend I slowed quite rapidly as someone was turning left in front of me and the guy behind ran off the road to avoid hitting me (serves him right).

What's the situation elsewhere in North America?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
No one likes to be tailgated. My solution to this is to slow down a little, if the person is still tailgating I slow down a little more. They will get the message...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tailgating

Greetings MrUKToad!

Tailgating is a problem in the US as well. As Richard mentions in his post, when I am aware of a someone following too closely, i begin slowing gradually and begin looking for a safe place to pull off to allow the impatient follower to pass.

Something that you may have not discovered (and it may not be true in your late model coach) is that Airstreams are/were often designed with a "see-through" floorplan. One way to determine if your coach has this design is to sit in front of your center front window and look to the rear - - if you can see all the way through your coach to the center rear window -- your coach has the "see-throug" design. Should your coach have this design, you can replace your center rock guard with clear Lexan rather than the factory dark tinted which would facilitate taking advantage of the "see-through" feature by leaving your center front and rear drapes open and securing any aisle doors in the open position prior to travel -- then, you can see through your coach and observe what is immediately behind your coach using your tow vehicle's rear view mirror -- this assumes that you are towing with a truck-based vehicle that is high enough to allow the sighting through the trailer. I enjoy this feature on both my Overlander and Minuet when I tow with my Suburban.

If it hadn't created such a dangerous situation, my Overlander provided what could have been a comedic interlude with an Oldsmobile Cutlass that was tailgating my Overlander in North Dakota several years ago. The road conditions were horrible and it was virtually impossible to find a safe pull-off point so I had slowed considerably to allow the car an opportunity to pass me. While waiting for his passing opportunity, the weld broke on the rear spare tire carrier on the Overlander sending the spare tire bounding to the pavement where it struck immediately ahead of the Oldsmobile's bumper then bounded over the Oldsmobile (without touching the car in any way) then hit the pavement behind the Oldsmobile and veered off the highway into the ditch. A fellow caravanner who was following us retrieved the undamaged spare tire/wheel/wheelcover from the ditch and we all met beside the road. Neeless to say, the spare tire carrier and any of its remnants have been removed from the Overlander's bumper.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
T except when the idiot behind is only 6 feet off my bumper! Sometimes the only clue to there being anyone there is the shadow on the road.
I suspect some tailgaters think they are getting a MPH boost by drafting.

I put a video camera mounted in my AS rear window. I can see what is behind me both on the road and backing into campsites.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I am anti social about this dangerous practice. Years ago I found that the best ..and positive...way to keep tailgaters off my rear wheel ( me on motorcycle) was to keep a handful of ball bearings handy. When tailgated ...just a few bearings dropped below the bike usually cleared the offender off and away quickly.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Well, truth to tell, I am much more bothered about tailgaters when I am driving the truck with no trailer behind - and most especially when I am riding my motorcycle, then it really bothers me!

As for when I am towing the trailer, it probably isn't a smart philosophy, but I really don't give a thought about who may be back there that I can't see! Even if I do catch a glimpse of them now and then on a tight curve.

Its his lookout - although I admit it could be quite a pain dealing with the damage he may cause if he hits me, even though the responsibility would be his, and would be very disruptive to our trip. Always possible he/she may have no insurance too!

Maybe now you have brought it to my attention, I will fret over it more - I hope not, I worry enough about my trailer or tow vehicle breaking down en route to want to add more worries to detract from enjoyment of our travels!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Tailgating is an unfortunate reality of any megalopolis or major city with heavier traffic patterns and people feeling rushed. Also as gas prices spike, some a******e decides that your AS is the best thing to NASCAR draft for a 10mpg bump on the highway. I should red sharpie on the outside of the shade of my rear window "CAUTION, MAKES SUDDEN STOPS" but I doubt it would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
...sending the spare tire bounding to the pavement where it struck immediately ahead of the Oldsmobile's bumper then bounded over the Oldsmobile (without touching the car in any way) then hit the pavement behind the Oldsmobile...A fellow caravanner who was following us retrieved the undamaged spare tire...
I wonder who retrieved the poop from the driver of the Oldsmobile's pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
...keep a handful of ball bearings handy. When tailgated ...just a few bearings dropped below the bike usually cleared the offender off and away quickly.
Incredibly missguided, criminally prosecutable behavior. Way to suggest a potential felony nevermind that if you want to get shot or ran down, damage agressive drivers cars when riding a motorcycle. If you are close enough to hit me with ball bearings/rocks/nuts and bolts I am close enough to see you did it. Dont even start with the "cars cant catch me on a bike". Mine can and does regularly. Dont get yourself killed, keep the rubber side down and practice being a good citizen.
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Around here tailgating refers to showing up early for spectator sports with a grill and a cooler full of adult beverages. In South Dakota the driving danger is hitting a deer or getting blown off the road by a cross wind. I have driven in Chicago . . . there they pull around the car in front and hit the brakes.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Ball bearings! outrageous. And hard to defend.

now...if a half dozen of your favorite golf balls fell out of your jacket pocket.....

that would just be a shame, wouldn't it.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Airstream had the perfect solution in the 70s, the Thermosan. It was a device that connected the black water tank to the exhaust manifold on the tow.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
one of those

2011 27 FB International
so, your stuff hit his fan...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
People here in Atlanta drive like angels. Don't know what you folks are talking about.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Airstream had the perfect solution in the 70s, the Thermosan. It was a device that connected the black water tank to the exhaust manifold on the tow.
Works for motor homes, not so well for trailers!

I like the bumper sticker that says, "GET ANY CLOSER AND I'LL FLUSH IT!"
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
This is how it's done in Buffalo......

Bills tailgating tradition continues - YNN, Your News Now
Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
People here in Atlanta drive like angels. Don't know what you folks are talking about.
Don't get out much anymore, do ya Brad?

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
One of my big fears with the Airstream (in addition to hail) is getting rear-ended... People can be such idiots behind the wheel sometimes. And they give you no leeway when you're pulling around all that trailer!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Remote control black tank dump valve. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #18
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
This is how it's done in Buffalo......

Bills tailgating tradition continues - YNN, Your News Now
Buffalo has long been one of the leading programs in the research to determine the effects of repeated re-freezing of brain tissue...
Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
If you brake, they know you did it on purpose and usually get upset with you. When I am not towing, I wash my windows. The over spray make them wash theirs. If they don't back off the first time, they usually do the second time. Now as often as this happens to me I should buy stock in washer fluid.
GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Bond. James Bond.