Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #61
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
Resorts on coast

If you go to my campsites pageBlogging in Aluminum » camp sites
I have started to review some of the coastal sites that we love. it is not completed yet but I will be adding more.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Lovingtahoe. Quite some blog you've got. Once I'm underway, I hope to start up a blog of my trip.

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #63
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
We'll leave Marina, and the PCH, and travel to Petaluma, CA. From Petaluma we then will get back to the PCH at Benbow.

My question here is how to continue north into Oregon from Benbow?

What to do, what to do? Actually, the trip planning is part of the fun in a trip like this form me. When time is not critical, it's no problem to make 3 left turns to go right.

________Tom
Oh my god no interstate! do not skip US 101, Peteluma to Oregon Border and north. It is beautiful!!!!!!!!!

Brookings has an RV park right on the beach. Very peaceful. I have travelled all of US 101 in ORegon. It is a lot of up and down left and right but the scenery is magnificant.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Oh my god no interstate! do not skip US 101, Peteluma to Oregon Border and north. It is beautiful!!!!!!!!!

Brookings has an RV park right on the beach. Very peaceful. I have travelled all of US 101 in ORegon. It is a lot of up and down left and right but the scenery is magnificant.
Hi Michelle. I agree about traveling on 101 in Oregon. It's the getting there that I'm concerned with based on the posts of NORCAL residents. I did the trip going south from Crescent City, and I know that some parts are really hairy even when you're not towing. Now I'll be going north pulling 34'. If I can make that leg in 4-5 hours I'll do it. I really don't like interstates unless they're unavoidable.

________Tom

Old 04-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I live in Eureka and have traveled 101 from Santa Cruz to Eureka- no problem. I also frequently go up the coast (101) to Oregon- Brookings is a close trip for us. Benbow is a great spot too and only an hour-hour and twenty from Eureka. Also- Brookings is about 3 hours north... so from Benbow you're looking at 4-5 hours.

I wouldn't be scared- It's a beautiful drive- I love it!! No 299... it's a doozy- doable, but not a good alternative.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
I live in Eureka and have traveled 101 from Santa Cruz to Eureka- no problem. I also frequently go up the coast (101) to Oregon- Brookings is a close trip for us. Benbow is a great spot too and only an hour-hour and twenty from Eureka. Also- Brookings is about 3 hours north... so from Benbow you're looking at 4-5 hours.

I wouldn't be scared- It's a beautiful drive- I love it!! No 299... it's a doozy- doable, but not a good alternative.
That's what I wanted to hear. A 4-5 hour trip will be a nice ride. While we're in Benbow we plan to drive around sans trailer to do all the looking and stopping we want to. I was concerned with 299, and will now cross it off of the list. Thanks Tanya.

______Tom

Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtahoe
If you go to my campsites pageBlogging in Aluminum » camp sites
I have started to review some of the coastal sites that we love. it is not completed yet but I will be adding more.
Maybe you already have, but adding those reviews here on the forum would also be great! We have a few, but more is more better.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #68
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Maybe you already have, but adding those reviews here on the forum would also be great! We have a few, but more is more better.
I will get right on it!

TAC - # CA-9
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #69
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
Quote:
Lovingtahoe. Quite some blog you've got. Once I'm underway, I hope to start up a blog of my trip.

_________Tom
I am glad you like it Let me know if you have any questions about our travels or campgrounds I have reviewed. We will be making a trip to the Santa Barbara coast soon too, so I will have some new reviews for you.

TAC - # CA-9
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
At Brookings the only place to stay is at Harris Beach State Park. About 2-3 miles north of Brookings. Ask for a back in. Absolutely beautiful!

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
At Brookings the only place to stay is at Harris Beach State Park. About 2-3 miles north of Brookings. Ask for a back in. Absolutely beautiful!

John
John, several people suggested Whales Head Beach RV and it does seem interesting. I'll be sure to check into Harris Beach SP before I finalize. Offhand do you know if they have any size restrictions. I gave up looking at the CA SP's because so many of them could not accomodate a 34', and the one's that could would have made a travel day either too short or too long.

_____Tom

Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
other suggestions

[QUOTE=Stream 1529]I'm in the process of fine tuning the northern CA leg of my trip, and will then begin work on the return leg.

First an update. As much as I really wanted to stay in Malibu, I just couldn't get past the daily fees, and surcharges if you were to stay during the July 4th period. Astronomical comes to mind. So, my CA stops will begin at the Pomona KOA out next to the LA fairgrounds. I will be there from 6/27 - 6/29, and would provide a cold beer and warm greeting to anyone wishing to come over. From there we travel to Morro Bay, and will stay at Morro Dunes Rv Park from 6/30 - 7/6. I did the reserve america thing on 1/2 to get a spot at the state park to no avail - I didn't realize that I could have called the month earlier because of my June arrival. From Morro Bay we will begin our first of two legs on the PCH up to Marina, CA. We'll leave Marina, and the PCH, and travel to Petaluma, CA. From Petaluma we then will get back to the PCH at Benbow.

Have not stayed at the Pomona KOA, East Shore RV park is in the same area and has nice sites with grass overlooking a lake. Morro Dunes Rv park is mostly fulltimers, very small dirt spots. If you stay in Pismo Beach this Pismo Coast Village RV Resort is very nice.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
[

Have not stayed at the Pomona KOA, East Shore RV park is in the same area and has nice sites with grass overlooking a lake. Morro Dunes Rv park is mostly fulltimers, very small dirt spots. If you stay in Pismo Beach this Pismo Coast Village RV Resort is very nice.
We have friends in Morro Bay so we'll be staying there. The folks at Morro Dunes took my reservation through 7/2 and put me on a waiting list. They were good enough to call me when they had a cancellation. Our friends have said that the people at Morro Dunes are heavy in community functions and fund raisers.

As I'll probably be faced with small spots, some are dirt and gravel, until I get north - and maybe west as well - I won't mind the neighbors. I did check out Pismo Beach, and it does seem nice, but we've heard too much about Morro Bay to not stay on this trip.

_______Tom

Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #74
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
Quote:
We have friends in Morro Bay so we'll be staying there. The folks at Morro Dunes took my reservation through 7/2 and put me on a waiting list. They were good enough to call me when they had a cancellation. Our friends have said that the people at Morro Dunes are heavy in community functions and fund raisers.

As I'll probably be faced with small spots, some are dirt and gravel, until I get north - and maybe west as well - I won't mind the neighbors. I did check out Pismo Beach, and it does seem nice, but we've heard too much about Morro Bay to not stay on this trip.

_______Tom
Do remember that wonderful state beaches that usually book up 6 months in advance, can be yours for the camping if you show up early that day (usually after 9am) and ask if there are any open spots. You can't book online or by the phone the same day, you must be at the front office to do this. EVERY time Rome and I have tried this it has worked. I have been astounded at the terrific sites and times of year we have managed to secure water/beach front sites. You may have to change sites every few days (if you are staying for a week or so) but it is well worth the trouble to hear the sounds of the occean as you fall asleep w/o reservations!

TAC - # CA-9
Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I have seen "big rigs" at Harris Beach in the 38' to 40' range. The back in site we were in could easily have taken your trailer. We called two days ahead for a reservation in early June of last year.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
I have seen "big rigs" at Harris Beach in the 38' to 40' range. The back in site we were in could easily have taken your trailer. We called two days ahead for a reservation in early June of last year.

John
That's something to look into. Thanks John. I always enjoy staying in State and National parks when I can. I've got my national parks pass in the Excursion as we speak. I'll be putting it to use beginning next week on a trip to Big Bend.

___Tom

Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtahoe
Do remember that wonderful state beaches that usually book up 6 months in advance, can be yours for the camping if you show up early that day (usually after 9am) and ask if there are any open spots. You can't book online or by the phone the same day, you must be at the front office to do this. EVERY time Rome and I have tried this it has worked. I have been astounded at the terrific sites and times of year we have managed to secure water/beach front sites. You may have to change sites every few days (if you are staying for a week or so) but it is well worth the trouble to hear the sounds of the occean as you fall asleep w/o reservations!
That is something to remember. When I'm on a clock I get nervous and need to know where I'm going to be staying. My clock is off, but my wife's is still on. She needs to be home in time for the Fall semester to begin. Next year we will be meandering a bit, and can put it to use then when we go east. Thanks for the great tip.

______Tom