Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2002, 09:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Coast To Coast Rv Resorts

Here is a photo from Camp Cherry Log, in N. Georgia. Nice small and friendly park. The hosts were great, and the lodge was comfortable for games and big screen TV.
It's a member of Coast to Coast Rv Resorts, and if anyone has any comments on joining, I would appreciate hearing from you, as there are a number of these in Georgia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	train 009.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	705  
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:05 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Membership fees

How much are the fees and what are the perks?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
not sure about it,but
http://www.coastresorts.com/
is their address. and this is some info from it- Part of the RVNET family. There isn't a lot of info on the site as per membership fees, but lots on the programs and benefits.

Camp Coast to Coast (CCC):
This is our classic Coast to Coast membership designed for RV travelers who primarily want RV hookup privileges. A CCC membership gives you the following:
Two visits of up to seven nights per visit at $6 per night at each participating resort with RV sites.
Access into the Good Neighbor Park network
Toll Free Member Services Support Line
Quest International
Coast to Coast Travel Services
National Car Emerald Club membership
Lens Express Discount Vision Plan
Coast to Coast magazine

Good Neighbor Park Network
600 plus open-to-the-public campgrounds located in popular areas to provide site availability during high demand seasons. These parks are accessible by Coast to Coast members for $10 per night plus 1 $1 Good Neighbor Park camping card.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:30 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Angry Coast to coast resorts

Alan, been there done that!! Would not do it again!!! Yes some parks are better than others but I have found that most affillated parks don't want you in there. Some are DUMPS!!!!!!That is why good neighbor parks was started!! If one of the CC parks wouldn't let you in the GN park would ------ at a price. They used to reimburse you [ I was] if a park refused you------now the tell you to find a GN park!!!! You camp where they tell you to camp -----or pay anyway!!!! You loose your freedom .Try and sell your membership??????? I gave mine away!!!!!!!! Because I was paying for it and couldn't use it. Then there is the subject of transfer fees------to get rid of your membership!!!!Read the fine print-----some transfer fees cost more than the membership!!!!! You just can't stop paying for it!!! You must sell it [HA] or find some one to take it at a fraction of what you paid for it!!!!!!!! I've met people who lost thousands of $$$ buy memberships in parks. Remember you are paying for it whether you use it or not!!!!! If there are no parks where you travel----tough! Then you have to pay for one anyway. Try getting into a CC park in Florida or around St.George, Utah or Tenn.!!!! The one in Gatlinburg hated CC members. First hand experience. Then there is the subject of parks closing. Try to get your mony back????? Many parks close all the time. Parks will sell memberships up to the day before they go bankrupt!!! Look in a CC magazine.There are usually pages of parks that have closed. Some parks are built just to sell memberships by glifters. Why should you have to sign 6 pages of fine print to go camping??? Shall I go on??? And on............and on...... ITS A SCAM-- LEAVE IT! Tom
Old 10-23-2002, 12:12 PM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Huh?

Had a good time huh?
Smily
Old 10-23-2002, 01:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Coast to coast resorts

Quote:
Originally posted by niftypkg
Alan, been there done that!! Would not do it again!!!
We got a certificate for 3 free nights at a local CC campground when we bought our trailer. To "validate" it, we had to make an appointment to "come tour the facility." We did so and got a mail with a key to try to open a new Chrysler PT cruiser and promises of free gifts if we showed up. That sent up flags right away since this is the type of marketing I'd seen real estate scammers use in Florida. We almost didn't go.

We showed up for the tour, and didn't get a tour. We got a sales pitch from the park manager, who was supposed to turn us over to the "closer" once the "tour" was done. He answered my questions honestly, and they revealed there were so many requirements for booking at other places, and so many disclaimers, that it would be a pain to use.

The guy was just doing his job, but I told him, hey, I'm just here for the free 3 nights and I'm not gonna buy anything. He wasn't supposed to tell me, (the closer's job) but I ask what the cost was. He said $7-8K up front and 100-something annual maintenance fees, and they say the offer is only good during the "tour." I told him, yeah, if I come back in 2 months with an $8K check, your closer will crawl across the floor on his hands and knees to get it, if that's what it takes.

Anyway, our key didn't fit (surprise), we got a $2 watch, and a pass for 3 free nights. SCAM flags were up the whole time we were there. Not sure we'll even use the free nights.

That's my experience with Coast To Coast. Since then I've heard of people who can't give their membership away because of the transfer fee, but I've also heard some positive comments.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
In theory I imagine those "package deals" would feasibly work well. I have talked to quite a few "Good Sam" individuals, they seem pretty happy about their choice - however they also admitted it was a bear to actually find places - decent places - that were available when and where they wanted. I think for the most part that most of those deals are modeled after the "timeshare" marketing model - for some it has advantages - for a non full-timer - you really have to do your homework to determine what the best avenue will really be.

So far my experience with being out in Seattle for the last 5 months - Monthly Rates are usually the best deal - followed by weekly.

So far I have used my AAA to save a few bucks here and there at RV Parks. Heck it even worked at some KOA places along the way.

Parks that typically become associated with these programs typically - end up not giving the kind of customer service that the typical walk-in customer would get. This is in part that :

1. They are forced to give reduced rates and the amount they recieve back from the program is usually less than there desired minimal.

2. Customer involved in those programs feel they have already paid for X this and y that - and when the only spots available to them are the water and electric hook-ups only etc... they are determined to get their $ out of the deal.

IN reality - if its a big enuf park who gets substantial business from these kind of programs you will be better off. But parks that only join these wholesale programs becuase they are convinced that it leads to more advertising and exposure to their site - are more than likely to accomodate with the bare minimum essentials required.

For a full-timer or person looking to spend several months a year at a set location - you can actually approach the owner of the park and negotiate for a set fee kind of deal.. But for the casual weekender - investigation into the programs - the type of parks etc is crucial before outlying that kind of cash. My humble opinions of the matter - and the fact I am at worked bored - prompted this response lol
Old 10-23-2002, 05:04 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Angry Campground Memberships

Smily, I had a ball!!!!! I actually had a membership in a decent clean park in Utah, that was well funded----most are not. To join CC you have to buy a membership in one of the parks in the system. Those parks were only $1/night at that time, Now $6.......soon $8. I gave away my membership!!!!! Affilated parks don't have to let anyone in that shows up. There is an allocation. I've gone to parks that were 50% empty and refused me. CC has no control over them!
That park in Utah HATED dogs. We were incouraged to leave our pets home...........WITH WHOM ???????????? I live in NJ. When you got to the park you were handed a list of instructions of there dog policy. Get this.....You were not allowed to leave your dog in your camper if you left your site. Any infraction and you could be fined $25. Don't pay and you couldn't camp. That's after the initiation fee AND dues. Need I say more??? There are many beautiful state and county parks through out the US..... Tom
Old 10-24-2002, 08:16 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Unhappy Coast to coast, Memberships, again...

Forgot to mention......... fine print again. If you stop paying for it, they [management] claim that they could auction off your membership ......... and charge you for the service. DOUBLE WHAMMY!!!!!!!! Good Sam is not C-C. Good Sam is OK if you like magazines... TRAILER LIFE-same thing, without the membership!! When I joined there were 2 parks in NJ now there are none.......none in the state I live. Did you know about the 200 mile rule??? Can't camp at another CC park within 200 miles of your home park , the one you joined. Some parks are so obscure that you can't find them, anyway!!! How many times I passed by good State and federal Parks trying to find a CC park.......
Tom
Old 10-25-2002, 07:51 AM   #10
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
No membership for me

Wow,

There are some strong feelings out there about the CCC.

Enough to scare me away, ( am I in the wrong thread?)

Scaaaaaaarrry!

Smily
Old 10-25-2002, 09:04 AM   #11
Finally Retired

, Washington
WE stayed at Hart Ranch in Rapid city a couple of years ago for 7 nights with our grandaughter. Great place for kids 6 bucks a night everything for them to do. Huge park 300 + sites plus cabins. It was on CC problem was they moved us every other day. For no real reason I think to Jack us around, because you can't reserve sites so that wasn't the reason. But if we joined Hart Ranch they would not move you. One of the selling points was when you bought you got guess what " a membership to cc" that they touted as wonderful. We expressed our feelings on the subject. Of course we didn't buy. Our cousins own Liesure time and seem to be very happy. ?????
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 09:36 AM   #12
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Arrow Leisure Time

Okay everybody, New thread on leisure time.

Smily
Old 10-25-2002, 04:15 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
LKappenman, I've heard that Hart Ranch is a good CC park in SOUTH DAKOTA!!!! But, I live in NJ!!! How often would I go there???? Hart is one of the only ones that I have heard any thing good about. From the discription of your experience it appears that even there they were hustling you around. MY experience has been that the affiliated parks don't want anyone but their members camping in their park. I was in one park when the manager called the Police to remove me. Never did. When I complained CC paid me to camp elsewhere and the good neighbor scam was born!!!! The park owners seem to have memory loss, and forget that there members paid dearly to stay in your Home park and you expect the same. When they do let you stay there you get the worst site [almost impossible to get into]. I remember one incident when a fellow arrived and needed 36' to park--sorry too big, no room!!! Liar!!!!! Where was that poor fellow to go then??? The carrot to join a Home Park is CC, trouble is it's a lemon. Camp any where?????? Try to find a park in Nebraska!!Stayed in a Motel that trip. Then there are the park restrictions. Each one different!! You have to plan your trip like the Normandy Invasion. Freedom of the Road??????? Remember you are signing a LIFE TIME MEMBERSHIP 6 pages of fine print.
Tom
Old 10-25-2002, 07:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
wow- thanks for all the info- I am going to use the free pass for 3 nites I got as soon as I finish putting hot needles under my fingernails!!
Actually I balled it up and put it into the circular file.

I guess I am sticking with my KOA camp discount card, presidents club from Camping World, and .......AARP.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:28 PM   #15
Finally Retired

, Washington
Actually those free things are good if you know how to say NO
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up CCC revisited

Okay..I've heard enough...lol

Quote:
There are some strong feelings out there about the CCC.

I've read everyone's comments. Good/bad, what have you.

This is my take.. Since I got started late in this hobby, I figured I had alot of catching up to do. So, I listen and, read alot~!!
The gentleman that I bought my unit from, told me about Coast to Coast and, said it might be something that you might find worthwhile. It has proven to be both good and bad. Depends on how you look at it. (half glass of water concept applies here)
I won't go into all the requirements as most of you already know them.
My first CCC 'home-port' or timeshare, was won in a contest. I looked at it this way. It was free, given that I acquired it without spending thousands for it. The transfer fee was paid as part of the prize. I did pay the first year's dues upfront. (89$)BIG DEAL~!!
Since this was also a charter membership, my fees are locked in at that rate too. The location is on the West coast, which means, I never have to worry abt the 125 mile restriction~ So, what does this do for me? It gets me into CCC for almost no monies except for the cost of my annual membership in CCC, which is tied to my membership in my homeport on the West coast. The total for both is again, no big deal. I've ordered the coupons for use during the vacation travel and, as a result, have met some very nice people where ever I've stayed~ Not once have I've ever been turned away from a CC park..Not even when I showed up with no advance reservations. I can honestly say, I've had a restful stay and, in several cases, gone out of my way to revisit.
Three summers ago, we stayed at a 5 STAR resort in Sandbridge, Virginia ...Lov'd it~!! We later stayed at a CCC just down the road from it and, felt drawn to it so much so, we begin to inquire abt buying into it. Prices were steep in some cases..Felt like maybe, we'd just end up being "guest". As luck would have it, a titled share become available to us. Here's what happened..
The couple had bought into this resort back in the early 80's, paid over 12k for their timeshare and, the couple used it for many years worth of camping. The husband finally greww ill and, died. His wife continues to use it and, upon her death, it's passed on to her daughters. Now this is where I come. Both daughters are now grown, married and living in different parts of this great country of ours..They wanted to sell it. Since neither of us really knew what the value of the ownership was..I was asked to make an offer. I did and, both daughters accepted. I paid the daughters for the title. The papers were turned over to my lawyer, who filed the papers for me and, now it's recorded in the city of Virginia Beach's property book. I paid the lawyer's fee, the transfer fee, the money to the daughter's and, lastly after all of that, I now pay my annual dues to the 'Owner's Assoc.' that I'm now a part of. My annual dues covers my share of the resort's taxs, the expense to run the place, salaries, etc. This comes out to be just under 400$ a year. In return, I get all the rights as a member of my owner's assoc. plus, I can stay there for unlimited times each year.
When the time comes for retirement, I figure that I'll be able to stay here, as well as, the place in CA in my travels. Plus, I have the rest of the country to chose..It may be in a CCC system, it may be in the NPS or it might be in KOA..I don't really care..the choices are mine. The main thing is..The ability to have choices.
My goal is to enjoy my time traveling, not to worry abt petty things like I've seen mention on here..Makes one wonder why some even bother to take up camping. Maybe, it's a learning curve that they're going thru..I always say, "experiences that which comes to you in it's fullest and, remember this..these are what memories are built upon. "learn to smile."
I have also listen to all this crapping about, how bad A/S, CCC system and, gawd only knows what else. Maybe some of you need to ask yourself, "If this is for you??"
At this point, I'll just say...
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:00 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Thumbs down Campground Membership

Fying Cloud, believe me, I tried to make a go of it. At one time I belonged to BOTH CC and RPI [cost about $160/year] [Resort Park Internatioal] but when I saw what they did to their members and treating them as second class citizens. I wanted no part of it! MY dues at the Utah park were $150/year and it was a nice Park! But they hated dogs and there owners!! How would you like to travel 2500 miles and then be ORDERED to take your dog to the campsite and don't leave the site with out it!!!!! You KNOW what my answer to that WAS.Why did I buy into a Park in Utah. The whole concept of this Membership arrangement is to allow all the members to use all the parks. It's baloney!!!! A member should have the same privilages as any member of any park, to travel nationwide and use the parks. Just try to stay one week in a Park. In Bandera Texas I was told that if I wanted to stay more than one day I'd have to sit through their sales pitch and put up a $20 deposit so I wouldn't skip!!!!!!!! I was ALREADY a member of CC&RPI!!! Then I was allowed only 3 days. Couldn't get in a Park near St. George, Utah because the two CC parks nearby were soliciting new members, Iwas told, Real reaon: it's near Zion Park! I stayed in a motel one night and the public Temple View Park for two weeks. So what the hell good was my membership??One week?????????? Who needs that crap???? Between my Home Park dues and CC/RPI $310 and I could not get into those Parks!!! What was the cost to me? I've already paid for CC, and I'm paying again for Temple View[a great park] Just one incident??????? No! one of many. After going to one Dump after another, I finally gave up. These Park owners milk the Park and then don't want to maintain them, and finally go bankrupt. Who pays, YOU DO! CC doesn't care because they want to claim that they have these Parks all over the US to attract members!!!! As far as " is this for you" : I started camping in a tent, then two pop-up's. If I didn't like it then I wouldn't be here now. By the way it's crabing not craping. See I'm smiling. Tom
Old 10-28-2002, 03:45 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Thumbs down Campgroung Memberships

Right now I can show anyone campgroung memberships given away FREE. Yes FREE!!!!!!! Just sign on the bottom line and pay dues till death!!!!! { unless the camp goes bankrupt} How many answered my FREE add and explained that their Camp went belly-up. Would you believe that the Campground can offer a better deal to someone than my for free ad. How?? My dues were $150, the transfer fee was $350. So Joe Camper goes to apply with my free membership, which I have to divulge [the by-laws] to management. They tell Joe they will wave the membership fee or reduce it and Joe's dues will only be $99!!! Now they have you and Joe on the hook!!!!!! Who brought Joe, YOU DID. My best camping days were boondocking on the gulf.....no membership required. Tom
Old 10-28-2002, 04:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking niftypkg

Just keep smiling~!

In the quotation below, the usuage of the word 'crapping' was very proper as it fits to a 'T' the meaning in my text.
I said:
Quote:
I have also listen to all this crapping about, how bad A/S, CCC system and, gawd only knows what else.
crapping has a universal meaning. But, just in case you don't know..This should put a smile on your face.
www.geocities.com/gpsyco_99/crapper-rules.html

I quote your misquote of me..BTW,If you're gonna quote me, plse be correct about it..I didn't say "craping".
you said:
Quote:
By the way it's crabing not craping.
crabing means what??
Even in NJ, they use the right spelling for this sport.
www.njfishandwildlife.com/blueclaw.htm
Just so you know..I'm smiling as well.
Attached Images

53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:13 PM   #20
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Trans-Continental Trip Camping

Guess I will stick our 2 cents in - After reading all of the prior posts, As we did on our trip, we will continue to utilize the facilities of US Army Corps of Engineers, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Armed Forces Fam Camps, and when none of those are available, we either do the WAL*MART thing, or look-up a Good Sam - However, we did learn that Good Sam Directory and Trailer Life Directory Listings were never correct on prices - Always $2.00-$5.00 more than the listing in the Book and grossly exaggerated facilites. So we will avoid all these camping deals and clubs, and stick with Uncle Sam.. With a Golden Age Passport, we vever paid more than $6.00 a nite at any of these facilities - No hard time about our dogs, no problems with arrival and departure times, nice clean and serviceable facilities I doubt that we will buy another issue of Good Sam or Trailer-Life due to the lack of credibility in the ads.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote