Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella3287
I hope when you get back or when on the road and the opportunity permits that you share your travels with us. When are you planning on taking this trip?
This trip is going to be my retirement gift to myself. We'll be traveling the bulk of summer '08. My wife pokes fun at me when I start planning a trip so far in advance. For me, I like to figure out my route, gain an awareness of alternative places stay, and then spend the rest of my time finding things to do along the way.

The last trip we made I kept a blog going while on the trip, and I'll probably do the same. Now that I'm on this forum, I'll be posting updates here as well.

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Benbow

Quote:
Again forgetting to mention when making reservations at BenBow request an end spot that comes with patio furniture already setup plus in the morning they deliver to your door orange juice and bagel along with the local paper.
Wow! My wife will really be impressed. May be worth staying there awhile longer.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Ventura RV park

Is ok, has concrete slabs with grass next to it. If you walk to the north end of the park you can go under the freeway and get to the beach. Malibu RV park would be a much easier drive to LAX and it is more scenic. You are on a bluff just above PCH and there are good restaurants on each side of the park you can walk to. If you stay in Ventura you will need to leave at least about 3-4 hours to get to LAX at 1730. From Malibu maybe 1 1/2 hours -- you could go all the way on PCH to LAX to avoid the 405 Welcome to LA! OOPS I missed the part about the town car---well it would be less expensive to have them bring her to Malibu. There is also a nice hiking trail loop in Coral Canyon for the dogs--make sure they are up on their tick protection.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Malibu is OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
Malibu RV park would be a much easier drive to LAX and it is more scenic. You are on a bluff just above PCH and there are good restaurants on each side of the park you can walk to. If you stay in Ventura you will need to leave at least about 3-4 hours to get to LAX at 1730. From Malibu maybe 1 1/2 hours -- you could go all the way on PCH to LAX to avoid the 405 Welcome to LA! OOPS I missed the part about the town car---well it would be less expensive to have them bring her to Malibu. There is also a nice hiking trail loop in Coral Canyon for the dogs--make sure they are up on their tick protection.
Thanks Str8. I'll look into the Malibu park. The Ventura park was suggested because it would put me onto PCH from the start, and the directions I was given, don't have them with me, keeps me off a lot of the freeways.

Yes, it's the that helped me decide that it would be best to let someone else handle the trip to/from LAX.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Ventura RV

Tom, NO NO NO I know this place all to well let me give you pros and cons. Pros hmmmm its 30 minutes closer than Ocean Mesa well that's it for pros. Cons you are right next to the frewway and the noise, my solution drink wine lots of and a sleeping pill. People that work there are rude, no cable, but you have satelite so np, its old. But if you must call way in advance and get the cement pads in the 60's numbers they are towards the back. A much better choice is Ocean Mesa and perhaps Ron and Debbie can chime in here with which are the best spots there, I only know that the upper area has the better views. Instead of waking up to the noise of a freeway you could wake up to peace and quite with a morning cup of joe and a very scenic view of the ocean and coast line. Downtown State Street in SB is onlt 20 min. away and the pier is worth the walk, luch end of pier lobster sandwhich $10 with a view or Brodys in the harbor.Your wife will be impressed with a wonderful start instead of welcome to LA freeways.

The farther north you go the prettier it gets. Florence is a beautiful area and there are RV parks right along the river. Don't know if the private membership parks allow non-owners but will find out for you. Some day I'm going to make that trip and visit friends in Bend OR and end up in Boerne Texas to visit friends and will count on your travels as where to stay. When are you planning to start this trip?
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Str8strm

Tom listen to str8strm and you will be very happy. Thanks Ron and Debbie look forward to seeinf you in Malibu along with the margarita ball.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Boerne

Quote:
Some day I'm going to make that trip and visit friends in Bend OR and end up in Boerne Texas to visit friends and will count on your travels as where to stay. When are you planning to start this trip?
I'll check into the alternative y'all have given me for Malibu et al. You've been a wealth of knowledge for me to tap into. Thanks. You can park your Prevost next to my AS anytime. You can sip your wine, and I'll knock back a brew or two.

When you visit friends in Boerne, check out Buckhorn Lake Resort Home Page . It's in Kerrville, but is much more accomodating than the rv parks in the Boerne area. Kerrivlle is about 40 minutes from Boerne, so it's no big deal distance wise. They have an adult section, but I've never stayed in that section. They have some nice spaces next to their stock tank, excuse me their lake, that are nice. Good friendly people. The owner is from the Washington, Oregon area. They may try to sell you one of their MH villa spaces while you're there.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Thanks

Tom thank you for your offer in camping maybe while in Texas we can do dinner, that would be nice and thanks for Buckhorn it is now in my favorites list.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
They have some nice spaces next to their stock tank, excuse me their lake, that are nice.
Oh c'mon, make the rest of the world wonder and call it like a Texan -- it's a tank. Don't know how many times I've let that slip out and left northerners scratching their heads.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Oh c'mon, make the rest of the world wonder and call it like a Texan -- it's a tank. Don't know how many times I've let that slip out and left northerners scratching their heads.
They get the same expression when we show them most of our rivers. I guess that's why they claim we brag a bit.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Morro Bay State Park

Tom one of our flamboyant members, Cowboy, is there now and posted a couple of pics that I thought I would share with you.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Morro Bay

Nice park and nice rig. We have friends that live there and close by, so we're planning to stay there for 5-6 days.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Malibu RV

Even if you only do one night at Malibu it does start you on Hwy 1. Ocean Mesa is very nice. We stayed up on the Ocean Premium bluff and it had the best view. You have to walk down to Refugio State Beach if you want to give your dogs a good walk but there is a bluff trail that runs north for about 2 miles very scenic. It is a new park so the trees are young and the spots are fairly close together, nice store, heated pool and jacuzzi
Old 01-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
When are you starting your trip?

A few of us are going to be at Malibu RV in February
Old 01-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

When

Ron and Debbie I don't believe that this trip will happen till the summer of 2008 its his retirement gift to himself. Well @#%% if we can get his agenda maybe we could do Malibu or Ocean Mesa with him and give him a real California welcome or maybe there could be a rally set up for that time frame for his enjoyment and celebration we have the time.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Ron and Debbie I don't believe that this trip will happen till the summer of 2008 its his retirement gift to himself. Well @#%% if we can get his agenda maybe we could do Malibu or Ocean Mesa with him and give him a real California welcome or maybe there could be a rally set up for that time frame for his enjoyment and celebration we have the time.
If it's a retirement celebration, we might have to join them for part of it. 2008 is when we are hanging up our axes. It's been fun but 31, years is enough. We'd rather camp (read that; rally). Ron
Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Retirement

Gosh I love this group, promise to come back in three. I think your on to something here.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:50 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
If it's a retirement celebration, we might have to join them for part of it. 2008 is when we are hanging up our axes. It's been fun but 31, years is enough. We'd rather camp (read that; rally). Ron
Ron and Debbie,
Off topic, but you only retire once. Usually. Congratulations! No way I'll make 31.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Meeting Up

Quote:
Wow, it would be great to be able to meet y'all. Now that's Texas hospitality, California style.

I can't say exactly when I'll get to Malibu. My wife's arrival is linked to the Chinese New Year. She will be teaching college level courses in China that Spring. Their Spring term does not begin until after their New Year has begun, and their celebration has ended. From what I've found out she will start sometime in early February, and finish up around the third week in June.

She will be teaching at University of the Incarnate Word - China. It is a branch of the university here in San Antonio. I know, a Catholic university in China is a bit strange, but they've been there now for about 7 or 8 years. It seems having a campus over there can be fairly political, so things are always in a fair state of flux. From year to year they never know if they will be allowed back, or even where the campus will be located. So she may not even go, in which case we can begin the celebration whenever we like.

Regardless, I'd really enjoy the opportunity to meet y'all.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Update & Question

I'm in the process of fine tuning the northern CA leg of my trip, and will then begin work on the return leg.

First an update. As much as I really wanted to stay in Malibu, I just couldn't get past the daily fees, and surcharges if you were to stay during the July 4th period. Astronomical comes to mind. So, my CA stops will begin at the Pomona KOA out next to the LA fairgrounds. I will be there from 6/27 - 6/29, and would provide a cold beer and warm greeting to anyone wishing to come over. From there we travel to Morro Bay, and will stay at Morro Dunes Rv Park from 6/30 - 7/6. I did the reserve america thing on 1/2 to get a spot at the state park to no avail - I didn't realize that I could have called the month earlier because of my June arrival. From Morro Bay we will begin our first of two legs on the PCH up to Marina, CA. We'll leave Marina, and the PCH, and travel to Petaluma, CA. From Petaluma we then will get back to the PCH at Benbow.

My question here is how to continue north into Oregon from Benbow? We want to travel on 101 in Oregon to the Columbia River. All of y'all have told me how trecherous the PCH is north of San Francisco, and I really need some sound advice. Our first stop planned in Oregon will be Brookings, and that is about 170 miles north of Benbow. From what y'all have said that could be about a 9-10 hour drive, and a bucket of nerves. Should I head west on 299 at McKinleyville to IH5 and forget Brookings, or what?? I could get back to 101 at Coos Bay using 42, but I remember from long ago that some of those roads can be just as bad as the PCH.

What to do, what to do? Actually, the trip planning is part of the fun in a trip like this form me. When time is not critical, it's no problem to make 3 left turns to go right.

________Tom