Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Life is way too short. We'll keep traveling and just pay it. We won't like it, but we will just do it anyway.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
$$$ gas $$$

Don't worry about tomorrows problems.Each day has trouble enough for itself.BUT
I guess the first thing is to save gas,so I will start farting in a jar.
Then lets see I can stay 6 months in Quartzsite AZ on BLM land for a total of $180.There I do not use much gas.That takes care of a nice warm winter.
Now lets see it is 270 miles up hill to the campground that we host above the mogollon Rim over looking the Tonto Basin in Arizona.So that would be about $180 worth of gas. The best part is our house is right in between.So that takes care of the 6 months for a cool Summer.
Since we boondock in both places we may have to look at more solar power so we can run the generator less.
Then if all fails and gas goes up above that I may do just like our Government does to save themselves,I may just go to printing money .
Wisdom is realizing you're riding down the wrong trail...AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Our 3 month trip this year will not be as long, mileage wise, as previous years but not because of the diesel prices. It just worked out that way. We will spend lots of time at TCPC before making our way the the International. For us the added fuel expense just takes away any free money for shopping and eating out from time to time.

Around here I feel sorry for the truckers. The truck stops price their diesel at least 50 cents over other stations off the Interstate. When we travel I never use truck stops. Thanks to the total length of my rig I can get into any convience store. In the past week diesel has gone up 30 cents a gallon.

If it goes like it did several years ago the economy will not recovery for many years and a lot of folks are going to be out of employment.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
First of blame the money grubbing speculators, the same ones that helped to wreck the mortgage market and that we were so careful not to raises taxes on, it's tough living the high life I guess. Us serfs will just have to belly up to the bar so they can maintain their lifestyle. On our trips the marginal difference really won't matter too much, if need be we will skip eating out while camping, something we might do once or twice on a normal 3/4 night trip. Eating out is a bigger waste of money than gas anyway in my book, but that's another thread..... If we were taking a long, cross country trip the impact would be greater. I do most of my own maintenance both auto/truck and home, I figure the bucks I save on that helps to pay for our Airstream/camping expenses Heck I just traded in my Jetta TDI, I did the math and was willing to pay the extra fuel cost on my 100 mile RT commute to get out of that nice, but utterly boring car. LIFE IS SHORT have as much fun as you can AFFORD (that's the key word, affordability will vary between different folks and their circumstances). Also, there are tons of places to camp around here within 50/75 miles, I'll bet there are where you live too. I hope everyone is able to keep enjoying RVing.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
and here comes the second wave...i told you so...or did i ? this is the second half of the crash. get ready for the inflation part it's loads of fun! do you think the gas lines will be longer than they were in the 70's?....that's why i bought an airstream. i wanna look good and be comfortable while i'm waitin' for my gas! see ya'll at the pumps or the cheese lines....
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Gas to Hit $5 a Gallon by Memorial Day(Perhaps)

I will admit to being more than a little worried about the potential of fuel prices nearly doubling by the time travel season arrives. I just finalized the last of the plans for a Wally Byam Caravan Club International/Vintage Airstream Club Caravan that I will be leading, and I am worried about the impact such drastic fuel price increases can mean -- I know the last caravan that I was on happened during similar scares in 2008 -- and I only paid the maximum scare price on two tanks during the caravan the rest were much less scary. Participation levels are a different question as my 2008 destination was Yellowstone National Park while this year the caravan will be touring Illinois -- not quite the same excitement level.

The consolation for me is that the caravan takes me no forther than 500 miles from home.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I won't like paying it, but it won't stop my 3000 mile trip coming up in April. Gas will cost me $2000 instead of $1500. As others have said, you only live once!
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I'll maybe start going out late at night with a siphon hose.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
$3.99 in Redding

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to Tazameir Send a message via Skype™ to Tazameir
We crossed into over $4 a gallon yesterday in Gerlach , NV. But we're always a good 50-70 cents more then Reno. We had over $5 a gallon a couple summers backed. Sucked bad for me considering I work all summer, and drive my pickup for work which gets 8-10 MPG. My car gets around 30, so the rest of the year is not so bad.
1965 Safari - 1987 F250 4x4 | Member Black Rock Desert Rats 4x4 club | AIR #53724 | TAC NV-3
1997-Current Burningman Participant / 1999-Current Staff member.
--- Life is an endless stream of choices ---
Tazameir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:15 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Overlander64:

Kevin when and where is your caravan going in Illinois? I will be up in Anna in the begining of June. I will be working on the property. Illinois gas prices are just terrible. I fill up in Kentucky and re-fill in Kentucky when I head back from Illinois.

Brian
Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazameir View Post
We crossed into over $4 a gallon yesterday in Gerlach , NV. But we're always a good 50-70 cents more then Reno. We had over $5 a gallon a couple summers backed. Sucked bad for me considering I work all summer, and drive my pickup for work which gets 8-10 MPG. My car gets around 30, so the rest of the year is not so bad.
Wow- $3.10 for regular in CO yesterday. Always amazes me what price differences are but guess a lot is due to local and state taxes..

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
and here comes the second wave...i told you so...or did i ? this is the second half of the crash. get ready for the inflation part it's loads of fun! do you think the gas lines will be longer than they were in the 70's?....that's why i bought an airstream. i wanna look good and be comfortable while i'm waitin' for my gas! see ya'll at the pumps or the cheese lines....
YOUR RIGHT ON.
BUT I dont think we will have the cheese line because I dont think we will have a Government left by then that could run them.
By then $5 a gal gas will look cheap.
Remember when fuel goes up so will the price of every thing we get from China.You cant move cargo without fuel for the boats,airplanes and trucks that haul it.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Our travel plans will not change. Enjoy the fuel prices now because five-plus years from now people may wish for fuel to only be $5.

Big Ag food prices will increase dramatically because of increased transportation and synthetic fertilizer costs. Maybe by then it'll make even more sense to create local, fresh and organic food sources such as community gardens.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
While the prices continue skyward, Amy and I am actually relieved we do NOT have a trailer currently. Yes, our summer isn't looking to interesting right now, but we can take some real vacations to other areas for far less than the cost of gas and buying a junk airstream just for summer use. When we finally find the trailer that will last us permanently (13 panel 24-26 footer), we will then finally start taking trips again.

Steve
Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hope you find your special Airstream Steve. I think that restoration project would make the perfect staycation for your summer and "keep you on the right road," as a happy camper, dry docked or not.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Gas to Hit $5 a Gallon by Memorial Day(Perhaps)

Greetings Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Overlander64:

Kevin when and where is your caravan going in Illinois? I will be up in Anna in the begining of June. I will be working on the property. Illinois gas prices are just terrible. I fill up in Kentucky and re-fill in Kentucky when I head back from Illinois.

Brian
The Caravan is set to rendezvous in Highland, Wisconsin on June 15 and June 16. We will depart Highland, WI and make our way to the International Rally in DuQuoin, IL on June 25. Most of our stops are two nights each with two exceptions. I will be posting additional information here on the Forums shortly.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Hope you find your special Airstream Steve. I think that restoration project would make the perfect staycation for your summer and "keep you on the right road," as a happy camper, dry docked or not.
Carol,

With my current school situation, selling many "Airstream resto tools", and wanting to spend full time with my family, I am likely to have someone else do the work for us.

Steve
Old 02-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Natural Gas is my bet for the future. Maybe we will all finally take the plunge and start converting our rigs to accept NG if gasoline does hit 5 bucks. I know I will start looking seriously into it
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
It would help if we had some leadership out of DC that actually tried to help stop the destruction of the middle class. then develope an actual energy policy start drilling here and use our own resources while developing alternatives build some pwr plants
think farther down the road thn the next election. Maybe we could get some of those
arab guys to do their majic on wall st. Na that would hurt those of us that have tried to prepare for the golden years. just wish things would stablize, but looks like that ain't gonna happen in the middle east for a while. Trump said it could be a good thing but it will take a year or so to find out. Maybe the Myans were right 2012 The end of the workd as we know it.