Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
Truma controller not operating

Planning the first trip of the season and we have found that the Truma system will not turn on. Apparently the controller is bad. We are still going and will simply camp without heat or hot water. This is not a leak/water damage issue as been described elsewhere. The controller will simply not allow heat or hot water seetings to be changed from OFF. And suggestions are appreciated.
Bullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Have you tried pulling all the automotive style fuses to force a complete reset? I think the controller and the unit are on separate circuits.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Bullwinkle,

We're sorry to learn about the issue you described in your 2017 Basecamp. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Have you tried pulling all the automotive style fuses to force a complete reset? I think the controller and the unit are on separate circuits.

No but we did turn the top of the furnace off and on. And also turned the main battery switch off on on with the trailer not on shore power. That is I believe equivalent to pulling the fuses
Old 05-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Bullwinkle,

We're sorry to learn about the issue you described in your 2017 Basecamp. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

When I saw you quick response to my posting I was impressed. However I did send you a direct message AND an email with the information requested. I have heard nothing from you. I AM NO LONGER IMPRESSED.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
We had to have the controller module replaced. We had it done at a local RV dealer rather than drive 150 miles to the Airstream dealer where we had bought the trailer. This dealer Harvey’s RV of Bangor, ME did the work under the Truma warranty. Kudus to them for a job well done. Their performance has turned me into a loyal customer.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #7

2018 Basecamp
South Jordan , Utah
@Bullwinkle how did they determine that the controller was bad?

My first trip with the base camp featured snow and below-freezing temps, which the heater worked flawlessly on...until the last couple hours of the last morning when it just shut off. I couldn't get the control panel to come back on at all, charged or on shore power. Took it to the dealer and showed them, but by the time it made it to the mechanics a day or two later it was working so I got the "you just didn't know what you're talking about" looks (I showed it to the dealer when I dropped it off, so they believed me because they saw it with their own two eyes at least)

My suspicion is the controller is a little flaky, but I haven't taxed the system that heavily and it really has been working fine ever since, but you know it'll happen again at the worst possible moment for me, so any tips on reproducing or identifying the issue would be stellar.
jgoeglein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
[QUOTE=jgoeglein;2111288]@Bullwinkle how did they determine that the controller was bad?

Since my Airstream dealer is 150 miles away, I had the unit serviced at a local RV dealership (Harvey’s RV of Glenburn, ME). While not an Airstream dealer, they do sell and service many units with Truma systems, and were happy to fix it under Truma’s warrenty.

The problem I had was different than yours. Mine would not allow you to turn or adjust the heat or hot water. The furnace unit itself was fine, but the controller module on the wall near the door needed replacing. Your problem sounds like it resolved itself with a system reboot. Harvey’s service manager told me they diagnosed my problem with a Truma representative over the phone and determined the controller needed replacement.

Harvey’s got Truma to send them a new controller and replaced it under warrenty with no out of pocket expense to me. And I was only without my trailer for a few days while they waited for the part. Kudos to Harvey’s
Old 11-25-2018, 05:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Memphis , Tennessee
Truma

My BC 18 Truma kept us plenty warm in 5 degree wind chill weather with 20 mph winds. However, I am not sure why I need the timer on the unit. Does anyone use ‘‘this feature? We also had to install a new thermostat.
BC18 is offline   Reply With Quote