Old 08-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Protecting Plasti-coat / Clear coat

I know this has been brought up many times. I did a quick search to see if there was a thread dedicated to it and didn't find anything in one place.

I've posted here before about how I strive to maintain and prolong the life of the 26 year old plasti-coat on my '90 Excella. It was in excellent condition when I got it three years ago and I'm trying to keep it that way. I've worked extensively with concours cars (vintage Porsches) and have done a lot of reading and research on detailing. I used to use the best quality carnuba wax on my cars and really like the rich, deep shine it puts on a car. But it's expensive, time consuming to apply, and it doesn't last very long. I looked for better alternatives and a Ferrari friend told me about acrylic polymers.

Thinking I would look into given that it was endorsed by a Ferrari owner, a very finicky group, I did some reading and decided to try it. I chose Liquid Glass, one that has been available for a long time, and I've never gone back to wax.

An acrylic polymer is akin to another layer of clear coat. It will never crack or yellow, it lasts a long time, it builds layers with frequent application - and it creates a deep lustrous shine. I apply it 3-4 times a year to my trailer. The process is very easy as it wipes off so well when dry. My hope is that I will be able to hang on to the plasti-coat much longer than normal with the frequent applications of Liquid Glass.

I'm interested in hearing what others are doing to preserve their finishes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	268181  

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Liquid Glass

Thank you for the information on this product.

I will contact P & S Travel Trailer Service in Ohio to ask them their opinion on this as we just had ours polished & recoated there. It would be good to be assured that this will be beneficial after undergoing this process.

P & S had highly recommended Wizard's Shine Master and gave us a bottle to take with us. It is touted as giving a "breathable" coat.

I was interested in Liquid Glass' website which says their product builds up coats to protect a clear coat finish. These products seem diametrically opposed to their protection approach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wizards.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	268598

911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Liquid Glass P.S.

By the way your trailer looks beautiful!
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote