Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Hortonville , Wisconsin
Back up cameras

Hi all! I’m wondering what the consensus is regarding back up cameras.. wireless or wired? What brand is best? I’m hesitant to punch a hole in the back and have to run a wire down between the shell and the skin, is there a way around that?

Thanks a lot!

Sheela
AirSheela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Actually, there is little consensus, just shared information and opinions. Try a search for "back up camera" in the blue search box at the top of the page, and you get lots of hits.

Like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=back...=airforums.com

Personally, I've gone with a three camera system that (gasp) requires drilling at least 4 separate holes into the trailer skin. That gives me views from left and right side plus rear. The view changes automatically with turn signals or putting the tow vehicle (TV) into reverse. There are other ways to do it.

Here is where I went for a wired setup: www.rearviewsafety.com

They have several different models.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Summerfield , Florida
I now have condensation in my Voyager rear wireless camera. Any suggestions on how to deal with the moisture?
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have a Voyager on my 25' and have never had a dropout, so my vote is for wireless.

Yes, it was painful to drill a hole in the skin to mount it, but the provided grommet seals well and I added sealant around it.

Just do it. You won't regret it. No blinds spots ever.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm probably in the minority, but my camera is the Garmin BC-30 mounted INSIDE the back window and the wireless transmitter just sits on the bed. I get power from a USB charger port nearby. No holes, no weather.
I'm not crazy about the resolution of the BC-30, but I'm totally happy with the inside installation.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Even if the backup camera signal to the display screen is wireless, you're still going to need a power source for the camera itself. Assuming it's mounted externally, that will require drilling into the trailer and tapping into, most likely, the running light circuit with a short wire run. You won't have to run wiring all the way through the trailer. The camera will then operate whenever the running lights are on.

FWIW, Airstream included a Voyager wireless LCD monitoring system and camera as standard on my Classic. It provides both audio and video wirelessly to the monitor in the cab. Nothing special, but it's worked without issues so far.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote