Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
Are scratches repairable?

What do you guys think? Are these scratches and hail damage repairable without removing/replacing panels? Think the panels will function fine WITH the damage? Aesthetics are good but a few scratches won't particularly deter me.

Got a line on this trailer but don't want to get in over my head.

TIA
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3846.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	354258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3847.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	354259  

bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If you're anal about perfection, move along to another trailer, as the damage is not repairable without panel removal, OR body filler and painting the trailer silver; it is an option.
If you're looking for a great deal on an Airstream trailer with a bit of history, and you want to help save the world and reuse instead of refuse, get the trailer and enjoy.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There is a very slight chance that some or all of the hail dents will pop out over time, but I would not count on it. The scratches appear to be so deep that they can only be repaired by panel replacement.

You are looking at an extremely expensive repair or a possible total by your insurer. The damage should not affect the usability of your trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
If it has a salvage title, it will be tough to sell down the road
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I did not realize you were looking to purchase this trailer, so forget the insurance comment. Most likely it has been salvaged and bought from an insurance company.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
Owner claims title is clean. He is upsizing to a class a. Looks like most of the scratches were all done in one fell swoop. eek.

I wonder how much they will affect resale once our family grows. It will be our first trailer so I doubt it will be our last.

I know I've seen vids of dents getting pulled but that was on cars with steel/plastic panels. Aluminum doesn't behave this way?

I wonder if it's possible to "lessen" the scratches instead of get rid of them completely with panel replacement.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #7
gsp
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
The exterior damage covers 40% ~ of the trailer, and necessitates panel replacement. I’d only purchase at salvage cost, because that’s all you’ll be able to eventually sell it for (though it might be a good deal at that price).

Run the photos by your insurance company and ask them how they’d cover it. (full-replacement is obviously out)
gsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
send photos to Jackson center: they can give yo a rough estimate of the cost of repair. take that# , subtract from what the current owner is asking. re-sale will be less because of the damage. kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The scratches would be less visible if you waxed the Airstream. There used to be a product called Liquid Glass... and I cannot for the life of me bring up the name of its successor. Google is your friend.

As for the hail dents, SOME people who do paintless dent removal on cars can work on aluminum. And some of people report success using vacuum dent removers. Brute force is NOT your friend in this, and practicing on a sheet of scrap aluminum (or the roof where it can't be seen) is a.good thing. Warming the metal with a hair dryer helps too.

It won't be perfect, but the first scratch? So?[emoji57]
Old 10-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
If it's here in CO, hail damage doesn't show up as a salvage title (even if they "total" the vehicle). I've got two jeeps that were "totalled," but the titles are clear.

Those dents won't be coming out. When they're that "pointy" on the inside, the aluminum is stretched and can almost never be returned to original state. Scratches would be even more difficult to repair unless they are *really* shallow.

When negotiating a price for the trailer, know that the owner has already been paid for the trailer by the insurance company (likely full bluebook minus salvage), so they should be willing to accept *substantially* less.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Curious... are all the damages caused by hail? I was expecting to see vertical scratches rather than horizonal scratches. some of the dents are too low like near to middle over the curve. The dents aren't at top on roof...? That is where I am confused.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

I only see 2 dents on lower side, may be from rocks thrown or bb gun, if that is all of dents no big deal as you will get many more on front from gravel, as for scratches I don't think any structual damage. I would look for reduction of asking price unless already figured in. Replacement panels on side I est. $3500 t0 $5000 JC can give est. down to penny. Research comparable models & average asking prices then make offer less cost of repairs. If you pur I would leave damage alone and enjoy a AS w/out a high priced AS that will get dents.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
what say you

Thanks all for the input. I've told the owner we are going to pass. However, he "might discount the price to replace the scratched side" if it would change my mind. He said it's 2 panels. He has an offer of $30k.

Does anyone have a more exact figure for replacement?

In other words, what would be a reasonable discount? Still don't know if it was totalled but he did say the title is clean. Uggh. We were really excited so I'm hoping something comes up this winter that fits the bill and our needs.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
See post #8 again.

A quick scan, but I didn't see the year, trim level, or length. Is 30K a great price? Need that info to help judge. Could be.

Plus... what is going on with the discoloration toward the back? A reflection? Dirt? Or heat damage from making a campfire too close? (Have seen that)
Old 10-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
See post #8 again.

A quick scan, but I didn't see the year, trim level, or length. Is 30K a great price? Need that info to help judge. Could be.

Plus... what is going on with the discoloration toward the back? A reflection? Dirt? Or heat damage from making a campfire too close? (Have seen that)
Sorry yes. It's a 2006 International CCD 25'. Don't know about discoloration. He's been pretty limited with info but he's an older gentleman and the trailer is in storage away from his home.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
Just spoke to Chris at Jackson Center-super friendly guy. He told me all end panels run between $2200 and $2600. And the side panel is $6500. Those prices reflect parts and labor. I failed to ask how long something like that takes.

YIKES!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #17
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I don't think that trailer is worth more than about $15k and that price is if it everything works properly and the floor isn't rotten.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I don't think that trailer is worth more than about $15k and that price is if it everything works properly and the floor isn't rotten.
Seems to have some missing things as well. In the few pictures he's sent the tv is not on the wall, nor is the mount and the bed has no linens. It does have a lift and we're told a solar system which does add some value.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
Ppi

Is anyone in the Denver area (it's stored in Longmont) willing to go with us for an inspection so we can either make a fair offer or walk away? We have yet to see it other than the pictures he's sent but we may try to do so in a few weekends.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
2003-2006 Airstreams - many have OSB floors instead of plywood. Even moderate water incursion can cause damage that turns the subfloor into mush. And the installation of the trim over the rear bumper was often done without any sealant, thus funneling water onto the subfloor from both the outside wall and rear compartment. SNIFF the rear floor - soaked OSB has a strong chemical odor. Use a moisture detector around the edge of the carpet or vinyl. If it goes in like buttuh, run like hell.