Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
one last attempt

Hey thanks again to all who gave their input. The owner has reached out to me again this morning with an actual estimate of part of the damage. He said he was willing to take off $6k. However, like others have said I'm still not convinced its work 27,500. When I called, as I stated above, it was for 2 panels; the side and the end panels.

What do you guys think? I'm going to contact that person in Ft. Collins to see if a PPI is worth their time.

Thanks again.

BTW, I believe the trailer is already winterized but I haven't confirmed. But I DO want to see all systems are operating correctly.
bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
As I'm sure you've deduced yourself, $6k won't even come close to covering repairs.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #23

2004 22' International CCD
Leander , Texas
I purchased a 2004 22' International CCD with hail damage a couple of years ago for $18,500. It had all of the typical issues common to this model, rotten floors, under-engineered frame, etc. I spent 4 months doing all necessary repairs to make it road worthy. Even though it still has the hail damage, and probably not worth any more then what I gave for it, I love the trailer and already have over 12K miles on it. It has a clean Texas title, but I'm pretty sure it was totaled to salvage in another state, i.e. New Mexico. In my humble opinion, the one you are looking at is still substantially over priced.
AHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
We bought an older (1988 Excella) Airstream that has extensive hail damage on the roof. There are no leaks, just "dimples". Because we wanted an AS with no "mortgage" and already have a history of bumping into things we decided we didn't care about the hail damage. We are not worried about resale since we bought it "right" and are doing the restoration ourselves. View it from our perspective: Do the "dings" and "dents" really need repair? Or is it for appearance and future potential value? Check the important stuff others have mentioned including floor, etc. If the owner is older he may not be aware of some of the potential issues on a unit this age. Then, make an offer based on the overall condition. If the rest of the AS is in good condition and you use it for 5 years, estimate the value with the dents at the time of future sale? Might, or might not, be worth it.
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Rifle

Left early from Colorado Springs one morning just to have
Breakfast At Shooters Cafe.

Trailers can be repaired at Jackson or maybe Vinnies Airstream Repair in California

I bought a Airstream to travel and visit my son in the Springs. Unless I want to
relive a stream of Hail like the bullets in Saving Private Ryan I’m keeping our rig
far away from there.

If I lived in Colorado I’d buy it at below value and then Enjoy it not having to sweat the Hail as it’s already looking like a Titleist Golf Ball.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #26
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Are scratches repairable?

2006 25’ with that damage is worth $15-$20k MAX.

You’ve got $15k damage repairs at a minimum. That year also had rear bumper water ingress issues - so $15k to repair the skin could be just the start.

I’d go get a different trailer.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not repairable without changing panels. Only buy that trailer with the intent of using it like it is and accepting a lower resale value when you are done with it. Estimates of repair costs from a seller who is not going to repair the trailer are probably worthless. Would love to buy a trailer like that if it is priced right.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote