Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #221
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagy_007 View Post
I just bought 2 Honda eu2200i's/ic and tested them in a number of scenarios on our 30' FC Bunk 2018 with 2 15K BTU AC's:

- Tested with 1 AC, all lights and TV on non eco mode. Status: lights remained green.

- Same test as above but on eco mode. Status: lights remained green

- Tested with both AC's on lights and TV's. Status: lights remained green

- Same as above but on eco mode. Status: Lights remained green.

I haven't tried with microwave on may test today but we rarely use the microwave. In my humble opinion you can get the Honda Companion kit for a little over 2K with all the cords and covers. Wife found a place that sells them online with NO TAX and free shipping for ~$2200. Each one weight wise compared to the eu7000 is much easier to handle, lift etc. You also have the option of just using one which will also power 1 AC unit and save on fuel.

I had also looked at the eu7000 since it provides a single generator to power all. But in my testing I can get the same power support. Hope this helps.

Best,
Hoagy

So, I could get 2 Honda 2000’s for $2200 each ($4400) or I could get 1 Champion 3500 Dual Fuel for $1100? RV ready 30 amp plug, electric start and within 1db to 2db of a single Honda, plus only one unit to maintain. My choice was simple economics and so far extremely pleased with the Champion after almost 2 years.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #222
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
So, I could get 2 Honda 2000’s for $2200 each ($4400) or I could get 1 Champion 3500 Dual Fuel for $1100? RV ready 30 amp plug, electric start and within 1db to 2db of a single Honda, plus only one unit to maintain. My choice was simple economics and so far extremely pleased with the Champion after almost 2 years.
No, Honda 2000s are right around $900, with some shopping.. Compare $1800 vs $1100. What is weight of Champion 3500? I guess if you never take it out of the back of the truck it’s not a problem.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #223
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Addressing posts 220, 221, & 223.

Weight of 30# tank's on my AS are 24lbs empty and 54lbs full. Not too difficult to remove for filling. (I'm only 68!) The 20lb bottle is in a milk crate which makes it easy to store in back of my F250 and move around when needed.

I agree on the Champion Dual Fuel decisions posted here, and in many previous threads on generators. For me it was also economics; the 3400 Dual Fuel was less expensive then 2 Honda's or 2 Yamaha's. Also, I did not want to fool with 2 generators, nor carry gas cans in the back. Propane was an easy decision. The 3400 is fairly quiet (as stated), efficient.

Honda 2000's weigh in at around 47lbs each, empty; the Dual Fuel weights around 95lbs. I can still move it in/out of my TV bed if needed and the handles with the retractable pull bar, make handling it or moving easier. I have a 20' hose so I can connect to the AS quick disconnect or also use my portable 20lb bottle in the bed of the truck. If I am staying a few days or if parking close by with my TV is an issue, I remove the generator from the bed and pull it around the camp site as needed. Not an issue, "yet".

This set up works well for me and was half the price of 2 Honda's without the hassle. I always in the back of my mind, thought about getting up in the middle of the night to add more fuel to one or both of the Honda's which I would be using to run my AC, during a rain storm... Likely never happen, but if it did, I would be fine connected to my propane. (I think>
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #224
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Does anyone know about how long a Champion Dual Fuel 3400 will run on a 20 lb propane tank when powering a 13,500 BTU AC on a 90 to 100 degree day/night?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #225
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
No, Honda 2000s are right around $900, with some shopping.. Compare $1800 vs $1100. What is weight of Champion 3500? I guess if you never take it out of the back of the truck it’s not a problem.

Just went with Hoagy_007’s math. Said $2200 for a 2000. Even at your price you still have to add for the propane conversion kit on each one, plus the parallel kit. You are well over $2000 at that point and no 30 amp RV outlet, electric start, wheels, folding pull handle, etc. $999 on Amazon without propane conversion kit. They didn’t get to be the number one inverter generator by making lousy stuff...they are just real proud of them at those prices.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #226
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Addressing posts 220, 221, & 223.

Weight of 30# tank's on my AS are 24lbs empty and 54lbs full. Not too difficult to remove for filling. (I'm only 68!) The 20lb bottle is in a milk crate which makes it easy to store in back of my F250 and move around when needed.

I agree on the Champion Dual Fuel decisions posted here, and in many previous threads on generators. For me it was also economics; the 3400 Dual Fuel was less expensive then 2 Honda's or 2 Yamaha's. Also, I did not want to fool with 2 generators, nor carry gas cans in the back. Propane was an easy decision. The 3400 is fairly quiet (as stated), efficient.

Honda 2000's weigh in at around 47lbs each, empty; the Dual Fuel weights around 95lbs. I can still move it in/out of my TV bed if needed and the handles with the retractable pull bar, make handling it or moving easier. I have a 20' hose so I can connect to the AS quick disconnect or also use my portable 20lb bottle in the bed of the truck. If I am staying a few days or if parking close by with my TV is an issue, I remove the generator from the bed and pull it around the camp site as needed. Not an issue, "yet".

This set up works well for me and was half the price of 2 Honda's without the hassle. I always in the back of my mind, thought about getting up in the middle of the night to add more fuel to one or both of the Honda's which I would be using to run my AC, during a rain storm... Likely never happen, but if it did, I would be fine connected to my propane. (I think>
Let's not make problems where there is none. 2 gallons in the 2 Honda, and six in the tank. Two gas 2000s will run a long time. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140818_114932_546.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	314239

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #227
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
My Genconnex-modified Honda is quiet and simple. No gasoline tanks, no gasoline hoses. I just hook it up to my low-pressure port start it, and it works. Given we’re 30 amps with an Easy Start, no more than this will ever be necessary. Have fun with your huge generators, multiple tanks / hoses, et. al.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I like my little Hondas. They are quiet. They are easy to move around. My wife can handle them if necessary, and I use them at home when I run a power washer etc. I typically just take one with me if I know I won’t need them. Handy for emergency purposes (like electric going out) and don’t want to run batteries down. Gas is much easier to get than LP. And gas is cheaper. This past spring I had to use extra propane due to cold spring. They want a fortune to fill LP tanks. It cost about $4 a gallon for LP. Some places more. Plus gas can be used for other things if necessary. And I can take my gas tank empty and fill it any time.n Reduces payload.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
My Genconnex-modified Honda is quiet and simple. No gasoline tanks, no gasoline hoses. I just hook it up to my low-pressure port start it, and it works. Given we’re 30 amps with an Easy Start, no more than this will ever be necessary. Have fun with your huge generators, multiple tanks / hoses, et. al.
Sorry, I wasn't aware it was a contest. I just want accurate information out there, so someone who wants to make an informed decision...can. BTW, I'm not interested in propane conversion. For my lifestyle and needs, gas is more versatile, but that's a personal decision, not a challenge.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #230

Not a contest, but there’s been a lot of chest thumping about big generators, gasoline-powered generators, and cheap generators.

As volunteer camp host at a NP campground without hook-ups, we’re seeing a lot of different genny units roll through. Some are horrendously stinky, some insanely loud, some quiet and inoffensive. The Hondas and Yamahas are always quiet and as non-stinky as a gasoline-powered generator can be. Champions are often quite stinky, and generally noticeably louder than the two big names above. The smaller Predator generators are loud, though their 3500 produces a tolerable noise level. The various contractor generators, immediately identifiable visually as a motor hung from a metal tube frame, are all insanely loud and stink so bad they could knock a buzzard off a fertilizer wagon at 50 feet, after first deafening the poor bird for life.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #231
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Not a contest, but there’s been a lot of chest thumping about big generators, gasoline-powered generators, and cheap generators.

As volunteer camp host at a NP campground without hook-ups, we’re seeing a lot of different genny units roll through. Some are horrendously stinky, some insanely loud, some quiet and inoffensive. The Hondas and Yamahas are always quiet and as non-stinky as a gasoline-powered generator can be. Champions are often quite stinky, and generally noticeably louder than the two big names above. The smaller Predator generators are loud, though their 3500 produces a tolerable noise level. The various contractor generators, immediately identifiable visually as a motor hung from a metal tube frame, are all insanely loud and stink so bad they could knock a buzzard off a fertilizer wagon at 50 feet, after first deafening the poor bird for life.

I have followed your blog with enthusiasm and it helped me immensely when purchasing our first Airstream. You, obviously, have a lot of RV experience and it is admirable that you are willing to share your knowledge with those of us just starting our RV experience. However, as a Champion owner, I find it difficult to believe that a 1 to 3 dB difference in noise level between my Champion and your venerable Honda is so noticeable to your, apparently, sensitive hearing. I have been around both and find both run quietly enough to pass muster and neither stink, as you put it. Easy conversation can take place with the Honda or the the Champion running nearby. The Champion is California CARB compliant so I doubt seriously there is a stinky issue. Maybe the big, non-inverter type Champions are stinky and noisy and I would agree. The inverter models test out at 2 dB louder than the Honda. I am ok if you like Hondas, great product, but you seem to not be ok that the Champion is a quality product that performs well, is NOT stinky and is significantly less costly than similar power from Honda or Yamaha. I think it is great there are so many quality choices for all of us to pick from. That’s why all cars aren’t black anymore. You like red, I like yellow. Cool!
Old 06-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I have followed your blog with enthusiasm and it helped me immensely when purchasing our first Airstream. You, obviously, have a lot of RV experience and it is admirable that you are willing to share your knowledge with those of us just starting our RV experience. However, as a Champion owner, I find it difficult to believe that a 1 to 3 dB difference in noise level between my Champion and your venerable Honda is so noticeable to your, apparently, sensitive hearing. I have been around both and find both run quietly enough to pass muster and neither stink, as you put it. Easy conversation can take place with the Honda or the the Champion running nearby. The Champion is California CARB compliant so I doubt seriously there is a stinky issue. Maybe the big, non-inverter type Champions are stinky and noisy and I would agree. The inverter models test out at 2 dB louder than the Honda. I am ok if you like Hondas, great product, but you seem to not be ok that the Champion is a quality product that performs well, is NOT stinky and is significantly less costly than similar power from Honda or Yamaha. I think it is great there are so many quality choices for all of us to pick from. That’s why all cars aren’t black anymore. You like red, I like yellow. Cool!
Mojoe,
You are aware the the dB scale is not equally incremental, but rather, exponential in it's actual noise rise? 2 dB is a pretty noticeable difference. I'll let the audio experts explain, but it has been explained adnausium in other threads. I dont own stock in any genie company, but I do know what is offensive in a campground.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #233

Which Generator??

Thanks. All I can say is that I report what I see, smell and hear, and you decide. I don’t have anything against any particular brand...when I smell it before I hear or see it, it’s a stinker. When I hear it before I see it, it’s louder than I would like for my own unit. I of course know zero about the maintenance regimens folks are following for their units, only how they are behaving as deployed in the campground. [emoji6]

If not believing my reports helps you feel better about a particular brand, it’s no problem for me. [emoji41]

Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #234
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
It’s not a matter of believing your reports, nor do I need to justify or rationalize my purchase. But based on your response you seem believe you are right and I am wrong, basically my experience is not as qualified as yours. You know, that’s ok, you’re entitled to your opinion but it doesn’t invalidate mine. I’m out on this thread as it beginning to sound like the threads on which TV is better or which hitch is superior. Everyone has an opinion. At my age I should have learned by now to just keep my thoughts to myself.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Does anyone know about how long a Champion Dual Fuel 3400 will run on a 20 lb propane tank when powering a 13,500 BTU AC on a 90 to 100 degree day/night?
7-8 hours continual run time, I believe...but it really depends on the draw from your AC use...we also use the QD on the AS if needed...We typically get 4-5 days of occasional use with the smaller 20lb bottle...including microwave use occasionally...never really concerned me even when boondocking since I know I have the AS larger tanks as backup.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #236
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Denver , Colorado
Devil in Details

Great intel from the group...

Can anybody tell me the difference between the Yamaha EF2000iS and the Yamaha iPower SC2000i(Costco)?
RChrisClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #237

Quote:
It’s not a matter of believing your reports, nor do I need to justify or rationalize my purchase. But based on your response you seem believe you are right and I am wrong, basically my experience is not as qualified as yours. You know, that’s ok, you’re entitled to your opinion but it doesn’t invalidate mine. I’m out on this thread as it beginning to sound like the threads on which TV is better or which hitch is superior. Everyone has an opinion. At my age I should have learned by now to just keep my thoughts to myself.

Ah, not really. I think we can both be right. You report based on what you've seen, heard, smelled and read about. I do the same. It's clear we're experiencing different generators, regardless of brand (e.g. you're not here, and I'm not there). It's also entirely possible that a properly maintained generator, of whatever brand, would run cleaner, quieter, and more smoothly than some of the stinkiest / noisiest ones I'm seeing here in this campground. Who knows what folks here have done (or not done!) to care for the gennies they bring with them?

Old 06-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
The bottom line is the sound level under the same load, of two Honda 2000's and one Champion Dual Fuel 3400 are the same (any difference is imperceptible) all running on propane.. I have heard them side by side and it's inarguable. The "stink" factor is non-existent, neither of them smell (no idea where that came from). The Honda\Yamaha diehards and the Champion diehards should call a truce on these two points and keep their debate on the other quality, features, and pricing of their respective units.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
The bottom line is the sound level under the same load, of two Honda 2000's and one Champion Dual Fuel 3400 are the same (any difference is imperceptible) all running on propane.. I have heard them side by side and it's inarguable. The "stink" factor is non-existent, neither of them smell (no idea where that came from). The Honda\Yamaha diehards and the Champion diehards should call a truce on these two points and keep their debate on the other quality, features, and pricing of their respective units.

The Champion I complained about previously was obviously running on gasoline. It stank to the heavens, and was revving up and down frequently. Just an awful knock-you-on-your-heels level of stench. Again, that was one particular unit. Maybe others burn gasoline more efficiently than this one did.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:41 AM   #240
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Can a Honda eu3000is generator be run uncovered in the rain?

I keep mine covered with a tight fitting fabric cover with an elastic bottom, and uncover when it is running. But once it starts to rain I stop it, let it cool down then cover.

I do this because of concern that it might short out and self destruct or possibly cause a shock to someone standing nearby.

I have seen tents that purport to allow the generator to be used in the rain but I am not certain if it is truly needed, or if it should be used with the open frame type of generator rather than the more enclosed inverter type of generators.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote