Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #201
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Which Generator??

Saw this limit posted on recreation.gov for campsites in Yellowstone and / or Grand Tetons.

Please, please, refrain from buying cheap noisemakers if you just can’t camp without a generator by your side. Don’t be that camper, eh?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Saw this limit posted on recreation.gov for campsites in Yellowstone and / or Grand Tetons.

Please, please, refrain from buying cheap noisemakers if you just can’t camp without a generator by your side. Don’t be that camper, eh?
Agree; but the 60 db at 50 feet is not an issue for the Champion Dual Fuel, Yamaha, or Honda models in the 2000W to 4000W that I could see. They all came in way under that db range, especially at 50 ft? It's those cheaper $$ industrial models I was referring too that folks pick up at Harbor freight or Costco that are not the Inverter models...which are typically louder...when being used with an air hammer or tool at a job site, not really an issue with all the other noise. But they are very noisy when in a quiet campsite.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:26 AM   #203
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I could not find that limit...I know when I asked in Glacier last year where those guys had industrial noisy generators, I was told by the Host, there was not a noise limit they had...please post if you see something that is National....
It’s actually statutory. I imagine a warning followed by removal...but removal is the specified consequence.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title36-vol1/pdf/CFR-2010-title36-vol1--12.pdf
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
It’s “Glamping” not “Camping” nowadays. Need air conditioning, kitchen, shower, comfy bed, and nice Airstream. Too old to handle sleeping on ground in a tent any more.

The problem with the ground is that it’s very difficult to get up off the ground in the morning—too old and creaky. Besides, over fifteen years as a Boy Scout leader comping almost anywhere has worn me out on ‘roughing it.’

x3!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #205
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Generators Are Loud(er) Than You Think

Quote:
... but the 60 db at 50 feet is not an issue for the Champion Dual Fuel, Yamaha, or Honda models in the 2000W to 4000W ...
dB measurement is not linear, but logarithmic.

Unfortunately many think that the constant, high rpm drone of a 60 db generator is acceptable to other campers. However, I and most others camping in provincial, state or national parks would prefer to hear the sounds of nature - typically 30 db or less than drowned out by the hum of any generator, especially one at 60 dB.

60 dB Noise Source - Half as loud as 70 dB.
Conversation in restaurant, office,
background music,
Air conditioning unit at 100

50 dB Noise Source - One-fourth as loud as 70 dB.
Quiet suburb,
conversation at home.
Large electrical transformers at 100 feet.

40 dB Noise Source - One-eighth as loud as 70 dB
Library, bird calls (44 dB);
lowest limit of urban ambient sound

30 dB Noise Source One-sixteenth as loud as 70 dB
Quiet rural area.

20 dB Noise Source
Whisper, rustling leaves
Old 05-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
dB measurement is not linear, but logarithmic.

Unfortunately many think that the constant, high rpm drone of a 60 db generator is acceptable to other campers. However, I and most others camping in provincial, state or national parks would prefer to hear the sounds of nature - typically 30 db or less than drowned out by the hum of any generator, especially one at 60 dB.

60 dB Noise Source - Half as loud as 70 dB.
Conversation in restaurant, office,
background music,
Air conditioning unit at 100

50 dB Noise Source - One-fourth as loud as 70 dB.
Quiet suburb,
conversation at home.
Large electrical transformers at 100 feet.

40 dB Noise Source - One-eighth as loud as 70 dB
Library, bird calls (44 dB);
lowest limit of urban ambient sound

30 dB Noise Source One-sixteenth as loud as 70 dB
Quiet rural area.

20 dB Noise Source
Whisper, rustling leaves
Great; and if you don't like the noise, you can always move out, right? Hours for use typically are reasonable at most parks. There are also areas that don't allow generators, so the choice is yours. Not sure it's worth getting worked up over someone's generator unless unusually loud or being run outside use hours. Most of the time, we're out doing stuff during the day anyway. I am happy with our Dual Fuel...it's within limits, works great, and uses propane....did I already mention that?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #207
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
... Most of the time, we're out doing stuff during the day anyway.
Thanks for your kind consideration - leaving your generator running while you are away all day.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Thanks for your kind consideration - leaving your generator running while you are away all day.

I would only do that if you were camping next to me...just to irritate you! No one leaves their generator running when not there, do they? But seriously, if your not happy with a neighbor, who could have screaming kids ridding bikes, or a noisy radio controlled car, or toy vehicle...which we have had happen...you can always move if you are unhappy. It's not a generator making the noise...
Old 05-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #209
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Maybe my handicapped grandmother is in the RV.
Jeez, the generator police are gathering with their torches and pitchforks.
How about my neighbor who chained his pit bulls so they could reach within 2' of my RV and prevented me from walking around my own space?
How about the kids who raced their bikes through my site all day?
How about the campfire up wind that made everything stink of smoke?

My generator is nothing compared to all the annoyances possible.
Everything is relative.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Maybe my handicapped grandmother is in the RV.
Jeez, the generator police are gathering with their torches and pitchforks.
How about my neighbor who chained his pit bulls so they could reach within 2' of my RV and prevented me from walking around my own space?
How about the kids who raced their bikes through my site all day?
How about the campfire up wind that made everything stink of smoke?

My generator is nothing compared to all the annoyances possible.
Everything is relative.
Forgot about those also...yes...dogs and fire smoke can also be very annoying, and can happen after generator running hours...good points.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #211
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Our solution....

...if your neighbors are close, always ask, offer power if they don't have a genset, of if they be tenting.
Our 2000i resides in a tent while running, believe it or not, if they can't see it, they don't complain about it. 👍😂👍

Bob
🇱🇷
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 140.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	618.1 KB
ID:	311102  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:03 AM   #212
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
In the tent it can’t be seen , and it is a quiet model Honda has min noise. And you can run it in the rain. Nice.

There are any number of issues when in camping, but adjusting to to the situation, in at least a not overt negative manner, is part of the human condition.

I have a Honda eu300is but may try one of the other brands if/when I loose this one. Most likey would go w/ 2 2200’s however.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #213
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I heard a Predator inverter / generator at a campground yesterday (Fruita in Capitol Reef). Don’t even try to tell me those things are “almost as quiet as a Honda.” OMG, so much noise from such a small genny.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
A generator does not bother me. What gets me boiling is people who play loud music in campgrounds. That's when I develop an anger-management problem. The difference is that between personal comfort needs ... and simple loudness without regard for others.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #215
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Mackay , Idaho
Which generator

After reading up on the forums, talking to my AS dealer, and other friends who RV, the Honda 2000’s are a popular choice. I have an Int’l 27’ FB with 2 AC units (with soft starts), and opted for the Honda EU7000i. It’s powerful and quiet with a great runtime. Only downside is that it’s heavy, which means it will stay in the bed of the truck.
Gmccloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #216
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmccloskey View Post
After reading up on the forums, talking to my AS dealer, and other friends who RV, the Honda 2000’s are a popular choice. I have an Int’l 27’ FB with 2 AC units (with soft starts), and opted for the Honda EU7000i. It’s powerful and quiet with a great runtime. Only downside is that it’s heavy, which means it will stay in the bed of the truck.
I just bought 2 Honda eu2200i's/ic and tested them in a number of scenarios on our 30' FC Bunk 2018 with 2 15K BTU AC's:

- Tested with 1 AC, all lights and TV on non eco mode. Status: lights remained green.

- Same test as above but on eco mode. Status: lights remained green

- Tested with both AC's on lights and TV's. Status: lights remained green

- Same as above but on eco mode. Status: Lights remained green.

I haven't tried with microwave on may test today but we rarely use the microwave. In my humble opinion you can get the Honda Companion kit for a little over 2K with all the cords and covers. Wife found a place that sells them online with NO TAX and free shipping for ~$2200. Each one weight wise compared to the eu7000 is much easier to handle, lift etc. You also have the option of just using one which will also power 1 AC unit and save on fuel.

I had also looked at the eu7000 since it provides a single generator to power all. But in my testing I can get the same power support. Hope this helps.

Best,
Hoagy
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #217
Georgia Rolling Stone's!

2018 25' International
Peachtree City , Georgia
Which Generator

Just ordered the Champion 3400 Duel Fuel. After using (2) Yamaha EF2000iS
I got tired of gas. I am really looking forward to propane. This was a cheaper option than purchasing a Honda outfitted with propane from GenConneX.
FYI.....in a couple of months Champion will have their 2000 watt generators in dual fuel. Lots of great options when you are in need of a generator.

Keeping mama cool in this Georgia heat!
hstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:54 AM   #218
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Talking

Han stone, that is interesting comment.

I may need to rethink this issue. I seem to run out of propane at the worst possible times, and far away from propane dealers. I also seem to encounter a lot of propane dealers that require me to take my tanks off and manually take them to the filling station. It could be because I keep my tanks in a metal box with a locking door on the tongue of my trailer, rather than a cover that lifts off. So gasoline has been my fuel of choice to date. I will pay more attention this year. Maybe I need to go back to the lift off propane cover.

On the other hand, maybe I just need a new trailer...
Old 06-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #219
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Han stone, that is interesting comment.

I may need to rethink this issue. I seem to run out of propane at the worst possible times, and far away from propane dealers. I also seem to encounter a lot of propane dealers that require me to take my tanks off and manually take them to the filling station. It could be because I keep my tanks in a metal box with a locking door on the tongue of my trailer, rather than a cover that lifts off. So gasoline has been my fuel of choice to date. I will pay more attention this year. Maybe I need to go back to the lift off propane cover.

On the other hand, maybe I just need a new trailer...
Most if not all propane filling stations require portable tanks be removed from vehicle before filling. It's the law, I believe. As for running out of propane, I carry a portable 20lb tank which is easy to move around and facilitates my Champion Dual Fuel set up nicely. Easy to get filled up or swapped out even at supermarkets handy marts, Home Depots, etc. if needed. Never had an issue...my 30lb tanks on my AS I also use from time to time.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:27 AM   #220
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I have (2) 20 lb tanks on the trailer.

Gypsydad, are you saying that you have to physically remove your 30 lb tanks when having them filled?

I can barely heft 20lb tanks.