Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Coffee at Jim and Rod's place...
Sounds good to us - after all, it will be too early in the day and a little too chilly for limoncello, ...and I betcha Richard and Jan will be bringing doughnuts too!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Ya know, at the RMVAC rally 2-3 years ago, I went to the local hardware store, bought about 5' of flashing, 6-8" wide, and Steve applied the two metal screws to hold it in a hoop...lasted the rally, and threw it away...cost was about $6...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Here is what a I did. Found a metal inner washing machine basket that has been enameled. Cut the agitator out. weld the hole closed. There are plenty of small drain holes in the bottom and sides for ash and ventilation. I used 1/2 inch metal conduit for the legs and wing head bolts and wing nuts to attach them. the vent holes had to be enlarged for the bolts. I marked there placement with white heat paint. A grill from my webber fits nicely on top as well as the cover. It does take up a bit more room perhaps than a fold up store bought model. However it did not cost much and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	119221   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	119222  

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	119223  
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Washing machine tubs are cheap, but with all the holes hot cinders can drop out the bottom and there is no spark screen for the top! Could be dangerous in a dry camp area ! We went with a contained bottom screened top retail unit with grill so as to double as a cooking unit! $80 with free shipping on Amazon, much safer! If you're a wood burner!

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
If you can lift it, drive over it, or apply flammable fluid, well, it might be a fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelin View Post
Washing machine tubs are cheap, but with all the holes hot cinders can drop out the bottom and there is no spark screen for the top! Could be dangerous in a dry camp area ! We went with a contained bottom screened top retail unit with grill so as to double as a cooking unit! $80 with free shipping on Amazon, much safer! If you're a wood burner!

Curt
I'm a 4CU member...what is wood burning??? Desks, pallets, plywood, RR ties, and downed trees I can understandm
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
I'm a 4CU member...what is wood burning??? Desks, pallets, plywood, RR ties, and downed trees I can understandm
I think we even had a telephone pole for the Picacho Rally.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #47
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Granted they are heavy, but it works very well and can really be an asset with a cooking grate top to put the skillets on or a clean grill.

Truck rims.

Mine do not have the center hub flange they are older split rim types, name unknown but I have one the has seen 25+ years of off/on service and it is still strong, heavy yes.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1966 20' Globetrotter
johnsoncity , Tennessee
Old Speedqueen washing machine tubs are made of stainless steel, they work great(with 3 legs) and don't rust. Be careful with the porclain coated, a friend had the rim of one to explode,sounded like a bomb,lucky no injuries. Stay with the stainless tanks.
donh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
I love fire....everyone should have an outside firepit...there is a firepit under that cardboard!

Name:	DSC00375.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	616.4 KB
ID:	119829

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We prefer wood fires if we can have them...some of the state parks we frequent don't allow ground, but fires in "containers" are OK...just so it's off the ground... Lost Dutchman State Park in AZ is one of those. We spent Christmas Holiday there and we really wanted a camp fire, so we found this one at the Ace Hardware. It's light-weight...the legs fold up under it and it comes with a carrying bag and a dome top that catches sparks... we loved it...it's about 36" across but when collapsed it's flat enough that we can pack the truck and put it on top of everything even with the tonneau top on the truck bed... The price was right, too...under $40. (We've seen similar set-ups at Home Depot, etc. by the way...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9074_Sm.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	119889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9073_Sm.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	119890  

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We take with us Thor's Cauldron of Death. It is made of steel, but is light enough I can lift it with one hand. Attached is the only picture I could find. We load firewood on our roof rack and then turn Thor upside down and strap it on the roof.

Unfortunately, we bought it at a place that has since gone out of business, but originally it was built as a potter for plants. We use at home (and usually attract neighbors) and take it on the road with us when we camp for all the reasons listed at the beginning of this thread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	912.3 KB
ID:	119895  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Brad... That's a great set-up, too...we use a very similar one at home...nice to be able to move it to wherever you want the fire to be... and great for gatherings... We replaced the grill on our Weber Grill and put the old grill in the bottom of the "cauldron" to hold the wood and give it some breathing room... Burn on!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Island Lake , Illinois
Hot embers should be burried anyway...yeah water too...or not...water conservation?
Near every year neighbors toss out old weber grills. Praly due to leg problems. So there you have a nice burn pit. From Smokey Joe's (20") to 24" which are most common. Saw the legs short, saw other left over pieces a bit longer if wanted. As far as ember burying goes why not do it where ya just killed off the foliage, underneath. Lower makes it low enough to keep ones tootsies warm in cold weather, unlike the average out of the box portable @ what 15-17"? ...bury is tread lightly we've all seen. If legs are gone from the dumpster diving retrieved grill, three rocks will suffice...tis all free! (carp, I didn't check out how to post a pic yet)
You've got a weber grill looking sad, buy a new one for home? They do make ample fire pit with just the bottom grid..or not.
It's a covered if one want's to retire before coals or procured wood is spent..vented. ~what a bain to post a pic er two here er profile. ~erm.
~But I'va tripod I had made by the village blacksmith at a re-enactment gathering of whatever era. But it's three piece, iron but all together...hooks for height adj. as well isn't but 10-15 lbs. 'n will last a lifetime. It will do tripod plus taken apart horizontal stabbed in adjacent to fire, with cross bar to do other hanging tasks of heating..or! one section stuck in next to fire/heat with a coiled worm fabricated thingy that slides/sits where what height you place it, more weight holding tighter..with hook on end for handles, foot and a half long...ahh poop. I'll work on the picture thing. No sense giving Lynn work to do posting a link when Googled don't have the same perfection of a tripod setup. ~~lol, I uploaded a pic but it went somewhere I dunno. ~tips me hat.
justbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #54

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Your pic ended up in your photo gallery

Nice setup!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Island Lake , Illinois
fanks wady I was just bouncing around and there thrice. I never saw it but in general photos page.
umm, the vertical piece chosen here doesn't show the other hooks to make adjacent to fire support, horizontal hang. Thats the horizontal section stabbed in. So just one photo per non paying member?
Btw those too thick perhaps Lodge cast iron this 'n that are great for heat dissipation. I've fry pans of various sizes that one could sit kinda on a rock but right in the fire and it doesn't burn...lol, lest one falls asleep bringing it closer to flame not knowing. That there re-heated pizza (likes lotsa stuff) turned to say pizza smores. Greasy was gone with no drips on me jeans. lol pizza cookies. Vs nuked? Hell'o I hold to fire, 'n hold to those that do. ~~thanks Steph. lost my snot bubble lookin' 'round I did.
~~that's all oak a burning my friends, in a very light 24" dumpster dove weber grill the lady across the street tossed out...and have another justin case..they come with aluminum legs to be sawed..'n broken wheels we don't need. ~~I've a very rare 27" (hang onto as gold ifn ya got one) burried up at gramps old place. There are fire restrictions when dry..ifn ya own land/keep your AS at a camp, half hour of digging/rounding hole is well worth the time to put level with ground like a bon.

If there were emu's runnng wild we'd cook them cuz it takes long, so we settle for chicken. well..yeah..cuz it takes longer 'n goes well with fingers not unlike dat boondockin'.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Island Lake , Illinois
lol, well looky I found the folder to add to...
This being of grills/Boondocking~ this is what I like to use as a pan for simple stir fry(ish)
6" lodge (sorry if heavy) no muss no fuss thing jackknife meal is one of my favs.
First used on a portable woodstove running boarderline high temp @ 500F. So I like it hot. The sizzle and quick of rare meat, al dente veggies I love so.
~As boondocking is partly of water conservation..after second helping it only takes a cup if that, water that doesn't have to be of drinking quality. Just let 'er heat up, stir with an errant "brissled" end stick if need be. Wipe out, and hit with some oil. Done..cook pan and dish in one. way cool, except the handle of course.
~For those who don't know of cast iron cooking, tis all about seasoning the metal. After following seasoning insructions as Crisco smeared liberally/heating to? 400 degrees was it. Shut the oven off and go to bed, let cool.
But cook a bunch of hamburgers whatever in the catagory of to aid seasoning...blacker the better. yes it sounds funny. But avoid tomato (acidic) for a bit. They are very good hand me downs as it will outlive you. Recieved blackened cast iron Dutch oven/pan as hand me down iza great gift to get.
I have another thing to say 'er two but I think it will take another post. Shall see.
~nope, lost the other photo.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Island Lake , Illinois
How silly is this? I couldn't have posted this without a URL. Now is says I've only 1 image when this is the second of three~erm
So the more info one puts when uploading, the deeper into abyss the uploads go?
Why would I click favs? tis my pic.

Anyhoo~the second was jista photo of same cooking but on my ice fishing heater inverted 45 degrees, as made to do. It works great for hot quick cooking..yes it's hot. Via 12' propane tank hose/hooup.
The neat thing about this type of cooking this time of year is everything can go. Fried green tomatoes, green peppers that won't make it, errant apple from a neighbors tree...what ever is left. umm, anyone know thistles are delish skinned?
6" cast iron and a decent jacknife makes life simple ena bit fun.
~~Black fonts, how boring.