Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2017 Colorado High Country Adventure

I have opened my Colorado Atlas and have enough to forge another Rocky Mountain Adventure. This time Colorado High Country west of the Front Range.

Elevation might be a consideration for some.

Acclimate at the Chatfield State Park with 189 full and electrical sites. This is about 5,200 feet and a wonderful large reservoir and an unobstructed view of the Rocky Mountains in their morning glory. I found "Reserve America" is available to make reservations as time nears in 2017.

Maybe... TWO ten day Adventures. If interest develops.

June 2017 (for those with kids for Summer Vacation)
August 2017

Again... Off the Grid and Base Camping is the primary objective.

Yes. There is plenty of time to plan and prepare. I expect some of those interested at first that might not be able to attend. That is expected and will have a flexible number of trailers/other in mind after I pinpoint campsites this year for capacity and scattered camp sites.

Anyone in Colorado High Country who wants to help put some accessible site(s) together can contact me in Castle Rock, CO. I am in the telephone directory or PM me on the Airforum.

This will be a bit different that Wyoming, as there are more towns in Colorado. Tourism will also be a part of the Colorado Adventure... but emphasis of passing through, spending several hours in town... and to the next Base Camp.

A bit higher elevation. A bit cooler at night. A bit more morning humidity followed by dry, hot sunny days is the norm.

IF you are determined to make this Adventure... the word is out.

IF a 2016 date can be fitted into our planning... the Early Birds get first chance to listen to John Denver and his ballads in America's Switzerland!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
2017 Colorado High Country Adventure

As a Colorado native one of my favorite places will always be the headwaters of the Rio Grande.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Count me in for August 2017.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Ray, we had planned to do a CO loop last year but ended up going 15,000 miles in other directions! So yeah, I might be interested in some altitude in the home latitudes. And would prefer to include some lakeside locations in the mix. And although I know of a few remote places, so do a lot of other people, which means it might be a big surprise showing up with a group. May have to include some USFS sites where some spots can be reserved individually, or for a group.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Sign Connie and me up, assuming we don't get eaten by a rabid Sasquatch on the Wyoming trip this August.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Ray, I would like to give this a try, although I will use O2 to tolerate higher altitudes. My philosophy...nothing ventured....nothing gained. Being in Colorado, if I find it too arduous, I can go to lower elevation to camp. (Hope you won't mind a lil' 'ol white haired lady tag along). August sounds reasonable. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Ray, if a 2016 Colorado trip becomes possible...I would assume , prior to the Wyoming trip? I may be interested in that, as well as the 2017 adventure. I do plan to do some camping in Colorado prior to our trip in August and September to JH, WY, then on to Oregon.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Ray, I would like to give this a try, although I will use O2 to tolerate higher altitudes. My philosophy...nothing ventured....nothing gained. Being in Colorado, if I find it too arduous, I can go to lower elevation to camp. (Hope you won't mind a lil' 'ol white haired lady tag along). August sounds reasonable. Evelyn.

... if you do not mind me tagging along, we will get along very well.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The highest elevation would be driving through Leadville, CO at 10,000 feet and down hill from there.

Colorado and Wyoming have enough to make THREE individual ten day adventures for different parts of each State. If anything comes up earlier... it will find its way on the Airforum. I prefer to drive less and explore more...
Old 02-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Thanks Ray, Brent, your beautiful spouses, and Maggie; Jan and I are open for late June or early July of 2016 and would like to also join you all in 2017 in the mile high country (would this be an old timers " mile high club").
These posts are a kick in the pants to read and get to the subtle philosophy and underlying meaning woven throughout. Thank you. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Ray, you cannot tag along....for, you and Nancy are the leaders! Silly man!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Ray, you cannot tag along....for, you and Nancy are the leaders! Silly man!
I sure do not recall taking on that much responsibility.

I consider myself and unifreck as involved bystanders, with someone more involved than most. We are all equally responsible for ourselves on these trips and if things go well... I will take credit for those parts.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:37 AM   #13
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
I have always noticed that when things don't go right, the trip is more memorable. Shelly and I are in on this one.
traveluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Ray, I promise I will 'babysit' any of you who cannot handle the rigorous terrain, (while I rest and recuperate!) LOL!

Actually, I am much too independent to be dependent on anyone. The difference in this situation...you folks are much more knowledgeable on some subjects than many of us. The rest of us are never too old to learn from you youngsters. Haha!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
As bystanders can tell... we Westerners are rather independent.

Just FYI on Colorado maps. The DeLorme Atlas of Colorado is pretty good. There might be better ones out, but there is a lack of well defined BLM and National Forest areas in the Colorado Atlas. Since all of the mining and patented claims... much private property exists in the middle of Public Domain. A Keep OUT is the best indication with a barb wire gate...

The US Geological Survey sells wonderfully detailed Forest Service maps in Denver, Colorado. I am sure they have a website... but then again, your guess is as good as mine. I have a carton full of National Forest maps for my own references. The main roads are as detailed as you would want to take your Airstream. USGS Quadrangles are for Mule Skinners and Hunting Parties...not trailer traffic.

As warm weather opens up the High Country roads... there will be a trickle and then a flood of information available on the Airforums from our staging camps to use in 2017 Colorado High Country. When camp sites for Base Camping are confirmed... then the process will begin. For a couple of individuals wanting to work out these Base Camps, contact me with any questions to accompany this disaster.

I call it Organized Chaos, as it takes a couple Base Camps for everyone to understand how everything works. Once the routine is understood, we will all be happy and those that finish the Adventure... are seasoned Base Campers.

If you are an individual who prefers calm traveling on Scenic Highways... Colorado may create some anxiety. As those travel along the scenic highways, we will be watching, while camped in the trees, along the creek... making light conversation, why would anyone find that more interesting?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
Bill and I would be very interested in joining you in Aug of 2017.
Gloria
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm going to start interest lists for these...organizing things is what I do.

Colorado June/July 2016

Ed & Jan/unifreck
Evelyn/Colorado Lady
Ray & Nancy

Colorado August 2017

Brent & Connie/Thalweg
Evelyn/Colorado Lady
mojo
Ed & Jan/unifreck
Gloria & Bill/gghayes
Maggie & Lily
Ray & Nancy

Maggie
Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Due to the large volume of emails coming into my regular home email account, I am today, officially using an email address just for any Boondocking Adventure Threads and interest. This also alleviates the Private Messages needed on the website as well.

My wife Nancy will be keeping records and maintaining them. I appreciate the work Maggie has done in 2015, but now it is time for me to step up and keep everything under one trailer roof.

This is my direct email address for 2016 and beyond.

boondockingairstream@gmail.com
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That is a great idea, Ray!

Maggie
Old 02-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Colorado High Country Adventure 2017

August 14 (Monday) to August 23 (Wednesday) Ten Days, maybe + 2017 ONLY

Maggie on Post #17 has the current list of those interested. Please email me with the following information:

Please use the "new" email address to hold a spot.

boondockingairstream@gmail.com

Names
Home Phone
Mobile Phone
Handle on Airforums
Home
Dog(s)
Trailer length

I have a spread sheet now and use this to FIT each trailer into the Base Camp, when necessary. For me...this is sophisticated.

This trip is for 15 Trailers.
Tent or Pickup: NO limit. Dispersed camping.

This number can change once I have gone to and looked at each potential camp site.
There will be a Trailer in Waiting list as well. When an opening is available, you will be notified directly from the list I will be keeping.

If more space is possible, more can fit into the Adventure. One area I am thinking about could fit 50 trailers. Others... 7 and scatter the others. That is why I need trailer lengths. It is important. I will also "rate" the access of each Base Camp site for up to 25 foot, and then a percentage of difficulty of larger trailers from 100%. If I can get in and out without any trouble... 100%. It is down hill from that as I can only guess how fantastic your second set of eyes are watching your plumbing and rear bumper on a longer trailer.

If traveling SOLO, I will try to match you up with a pair of eyes for the Adventure when parking your trailer.

These are Adventures, not a Wally black top wine tasting in a RV Park, or a Balloon Festival viewing in an assigned parking spot. Not that that would not be bad... this is a totally different experience.

IF there is more interest than expected ADDING later a... JUNE or JULY 2017 is also possible, but not on my things to do at the present. The hot prairies of TEXAS brings the BIG other brand trailers to elevation... so be aware of that, as well.

This would include FLY FISHING. Be prepared for fly fishing if interested. You catch them and other members will help you clean and eat them...

I NEVER find a Base Camp on a Friday PM, Saturday or Sunday AM. Also never when a Monday is a holiday, or anything that brings the hordes into the Back Country.

Out of Colorado Springs, CO highway 24 on a Friday to Sunday is gridlock. Bumper to bumper. Gold Camp Road along Pike's Peak... a death trap for the casual tourist and insane for a trailer in tow.

Colorado is a destination State across the World. Much like Las Vegas, Nevada. We will be camped in between the destinations... at all costs. You may not have cell phone service, HDTV television, AC, electricity hookup or see a street light... you will find this Adventure not the Casual Tourist with a silk smoking jacket holding a fly rod.

This is Base Camping. At one site you could find yourself perfectly level and at another site needing to block for left to right leveling AND figure before hand if you can level Front to Back. WE have people to help. YOU will learn. NO reason to worry, sweat, grit your teeth or think the World is going to END. This will be fun, a new learning experience and anyone can go on their own, anytime with no hard feelings from other members. (I always say that, but nobody has ever taken me up on it.)