Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
2017 Honda Ridgeline...looks interesting

The Honda Ridgeline returns for 2017

So, I happen to really love our 2010 Platinum F-150 and I have always assumed that the next vehicle would be another one. I do not think that I'd be happy towing with a car or SUV mostly because I want all of my "stuff" in the bed, not with me inside the vehicle.
Our 16' Bambi is pretty easy to tow so I can get by with lots of vehicles.
I never warmed to the styling of he previous Ridgeline so it wasn't anything I'd seriously consider. That is about to change!
I think I will actually give one of these a gander when they are introduced! I'd really have to like it, fit in it comfortably, like the sound system, like the way it drives, etc.,etc., but it is the first "mid size" that actually appeals to me...
Just "internet" shopping for now but intrigued!
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
While it won't appeal to the 1-ton, lifted, massive tire, truck owners, that only tow their own shadow, the 2017 Honda Ridgeline will be the most truck, most people need.

I like the idea of a 7/8th truck; a little bigger than the Canyon/Colorado/Taco/Frontier, but with a full size (actually bigger than full size box), 5' between walls, 4' between wheel humps, that only are a couple of inches above the bed of the box, with a massive trunk in the bed of the box; big enough to put a 64L cooler into it.

Economical but powerful V6, independent suspension all around for a great ride, so it doesn't beat up your Bambi and a dual action tailgate, making it easier to get to that mall stuff in the box. It should have 5,000+ towing capacity, more than enough for a Bambi.

The only mod I would get for the truck would be a VCMuzzler that would disable the dreaded VCM system and allow the truck to run on 6 cylinders all the time.

Great truck Honda and you'd be a very smart person to take a look at it.

MADE IN AMERICA with American parts and labour. Most parts for Fords and GM models are made in China and Mexico.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I'll have to look into the VCM system... I didn't realize it was a problem. Then again I used to think Cadillacs original 8-6-4 engines were kind of cool!
In all honesty though, it is interesting enough that I will want to go and test drive one. I'd have to fit inside comfortably first...
We will see
Old 01-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We had a honda pilot for 10 years and it was the best handling vehicle we have ever had.
If their truck meets your towing needs I am sure you would be very satisfied driving it.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I love Hondas and have had many. My garage has two in it now. Great engines and great cars to go with them. I tried to find the towing and payload capacity of the new truck without success. Must not be too much since it appears that they are not publishing it yet.

In the absence of published data, the statement above that it will be "the most truck that most people will need" is a disservice to the readers here. I doubt seriously that it will be adequate for "most".

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
My 2015 Chev Colorado has a tow rating of 6000 lbs and if one wants to get the diesel it can have a 7000 lbs tow rating so I see no advantage of getting the Honda. The Colorado/and GMC models were truck of the year for 2015. You will have to wait to see how the Honda stacks up. So far it looks like the Chev/GMC wins.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Consumer Reports on 2017 Ridgeline

Would really be interested in a Honda built pick up with rear wheel drive.

Looks like the new iteration of Ridgeline is front wheel drive, so to tow you would need the 4WD option.

Here's CR's blurb on it.

2017 Honda Ridgeline Pickup Truck Looks Conventional but Still Innovative - Consumer Reports

No one seems to have the mfgr tow rating in either 2WD and 4WD configuration, but it does seem that vehicle is same as Pilot with different body panels.

The 2016 Honda Pilot 4WD is rated at 5,000 lbs.

So looking like not enough towing capacity for modern 25' and larger Airstreams.

Would love to be wrong about this--our Pilot has been a great vehicle.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We have always found Honda product to be good value and would likely have one now, except that their seats never seem to be comfortable enough for travel. Our experience has not been with the SUV/truck lines so that may not be the case with those products. If comfort is important to you, it might well be a point worth verification prior to purchase. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
I'm a long time Honda fan and I admire their engineering roots. The current Ridgeline is a superior road machine, has great ergonomics, and works great towing under 5K trailers. It's a ten year old design so I expect the new model to be even better.

Obviously if you want to tow larger trailers it's not a good choice.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Good color match too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1688.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	255875  
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Honda said it's payload was going to be around 1600#, but that will most likely be the base trim.
CaptMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
1600 pounds is 400 pounds more than my current F-150!
As for the GM and Chevy Canyon/Colorado, I am not interested. Before I'd go that route I'd simply purchase another F-150 or its equivalent GM/Ram.
No I am interested in the Honda precisely because of its independent rear suspension and the car like handling.
I am incredibly pleased with my current F-150. With 130,000 miles and at six years old it has had remarkably little go wrong.
The Honda is intriguing though and I will certainly take a look when they hit the dealers this fall.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Believe I heard 280 hp for the new Ridgeline which is an increase of 30. Perhaps a similar increase in torque.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I really like the Ridgeline, but it doesn't compete with full size trucks.
It competes with Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado/Canyon.
A very nicely styled pickup indeed.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
My spousal unit has a Ridgeline. Like the many Hondas we've had in the past, dating back to my 1979 'Lude, it is a wonderful vehicle. It does everything well and nothing poorly.

We're newbies. She bought a '68 Safari sight unseen two months ago and we left early from Tulsa to retrieve it in Gatesville, Texas, about 400 miles. We headed south with a full tank of gas and pulled into Gatesville several hours later, running on fumes. We hitched up, refilled the gas tank and headed north. We got home a bit before midnight, having used 4 1/2 tanks of gas for the return. 😳 At times, we were going through it at around 6 miles a gallon.

I've never had any other truck and never pulled anything to speak of. Does towing do that to all vehicles?

Jay & Lisa
splyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Jay and Lisa

We have set up over 1000 Honda Odysseys to tow since 1999, they are the same basic drive train as the Ridgeline and Pilot. We have also set up a couple of hundred Ridgelines and Pilots so we have plenty of experience with them. Most are towing 25 to 30' Airstreams or other brands that are harder to tow.

Your fuel economy is not normal at all unless you were trying to tow at 80 MPH. If you tow at 60-65 MPH you should be seeing 11-14 MPG quite easily. Perhaps the trailer has a bad alignment or you have an engine sensor problem, plugged catalytic convertor etc. You can improve the mileage and performance of the Ridgeline with a better tire size next time you need tires.

I saw the new Ridgeline in Detroit on Monday and it looks good! Definitely the best riding and handling pickup you can buy.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by splyb View Post
-- snip -- We got home a bit before midnight, having used 4 1/2 tanks of gas for the return. 😳 At times, we were going through it at around 6 miles a gallon. -- snip -- Does towing do that to all vehicles? Jay & Lisa
Yes and no. Brother has a Chev 1/2 ton and gets around 20 deadheading and 8-12 when towing his SOB trailer. The 8 was against a stiff headwind. We get around 20 deadheading and about 12 when towing our 23FB. We get no worse than 6 mph on a steep climb. So, most TVs do get reduced economy when towing, but not to the extent you report. Sounds like you have excessive drag somewhere and a bit of investigation ahead of you. Good luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:58 AM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
After review and subsequent housekeeping by the Staff, this thread is now open.

<<Mod Mode>>

In keeping with the spirit of the OPs' question our expectations going forward are that this thread will remain largely on topic. We understand that thread drift occurs, but all to often the staff is forced to intervene when tow vehicle threads boilover into name calling flame wars because of differing opinions regarding TV selection.

Keep this thread on topic please.

On behalf of the Site Team.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I also did not like the original styling, but the new ridgeline looks much better. As I trim volume of junk I carry in the truck bed, i could easily use the honda. If i ever get a smaller, lighter trailer, it would be on my list. Cant beat the reliability. Good camping.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yes, the new Ridgeline styling is great.
Never considered the 1st generation Ridgeline a game changer- not even a player-
This one is a game changer for sure.
I like it, but back seat room will determine whether I would ever consider purchasing one.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote