Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2016, 06:18 AM   #301
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
All this talk of bears made me think back to a black bear my wife and I encountered in a relatively rural area of New Jersey. That bear was easily two times my size and we noticed it when we were less than 100 feet away. We stopped in our tracks, turned around slowly and quickly walked the other way! Don't know if that's the best answer but it worked in this case.

And it reminds me of the old joke... you don't have to outrun the bear, just outrun your friend!
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #302
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Reminds me of the tale of the lady who carried a .22 revolver for bear defence. When asked if she thought that that was adequate she replied, "Just kneecap the most obnoxious person in the group and then run. No need to harm the bear."
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #303
Rivet Master

Well, then...I guess I'll leave the 22 at home and bring the 38 instead.! Does a bear know the meaning of a laser pointed "red dot" on it's nose?.....or must I explain it to him? If I do, will he run away? Just asking for clarification.....it is wise to be fully prepared, don't cha' know?!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #304
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Reread Post #205 on the Sunday August 14 departure at 9AM

This Thread is getting a bit bulky with posts and some members might have forgotten much of the information from the beginning to the end.

I was 'reminded to remind' everyone that are on the 'list' to go back to Post #205.

If EVERYONE is at Laramie, WY to tour the Territorial Prison on Saturday August 13th or arrive that evening... the plan IS TO DEPART Laramie on Sunday August 14th at 9AM to Beaver Divide. We will gain one day leaving on Sunday, rather than Monday August 15th.

If EVERYONE is accounted for on Saturday, August 13th... and early enough to depart Laramie... ONE and a HALF days can be gained to be put to better use than pacing the pavement in a parking lot.

- PLAN to depart on Sunday August 14th at 9AM.

- IF everyone is accounted for by Saturday, NOON, August 13th... and anxious to get on the road... great. Some individuals might be a bit nervous about 'Custer Decisions' but you might have to get adjusted to that reality once in the mountains. Things change for good reason.

Go back to Post #262 and if you are on this list... Email boondockingairstream@gmail.com which day YOU plan on arriving at Laramie, Wyoming.

Which day are YOU planning on arriving? Saturday August 13th or early enough to catch the Caravan by 9AM Sunday August 14th?

The DATE TO DEPART:
Sunday, August 14th, 9AM to Beaver Divide to begin the Adventure

For anyone who is not able to arrive on time... GOOD LUCK. Finding a group of Airstream trailers in this part of Wyoming will be easy to find.

Again: August 14th, Sunday, Departing at 9AM. Rain, Shine, Sleet, Solar Eclipse, Earthquake, Parade blocking road to Prison, Lost, Confused, Need better directions, Map, GPS not working... Sorry.

Myself. Mentally I have been on this Adventure several times and am anxious to see what kind of trouble awaits us just leaving Laramie! Those who live in Wyoming understand that in many places of the World the weather changes from day to day. Wyoming... the CLIMATE can change from day to day.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #305
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We plan to arrive Saturday August 13th, following Thalweg down, so whatever time he estimates.....

Maggie
Old 05-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #306
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I note that Prickly Pear cancelled May 21, 2016.

I read the latest email from Prickly Pair and am looking forward to finding both of you in 2017 Colorado High Country.

The list posted was on May 20, 2016 and my current roster is now updated.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #307
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bummer, Prickly Pear!

Maggie
Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #308
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
We'll be there on Saturday. Probably not by noon though. We'd have to be on the road by about 6:00 AM to do that, and I'd be in big trouble if I suggested such an outlandish thing. I wouldn't want to start out on the trip already in trouble. Give me a couple of hours for that.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #309
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
August will be here sooner than you can... plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
We'll be there on Saturday. Probably not by noon though. We'd have to be on the road by about 6:00 AM to do that, and I'd be in big trouble if I suggested such an outlandish thing. I wouldn't want to start out on the trip already in trouble. Give me a couple of hours for that.

10.4 & Roger on that.

An Itinerary was sent to everyone that on the top has the name of the Superintendent of the Territorial Prison. If you did not find that on your computer, email me and I will get it to you. I know that some have it as they have been following the route on Google. It is four pages long and the usual point by point narrative that I find myself addicted.

Once we get rolling, there are refueling issues that will be covered PRIOR to each leaving one camp to the next. You cannot have everyone diving into the same truck stop to refuel and then departing. This has been worked out for the most part.

When I say 'for the most part'... some towns do have limited options. You will have fewer options, if you run out of fuel.

The Donner Party of 1846 had problems with incorrect maps and food. They did travel through the area we will be finding ourselves without incident. The maps of Wyoming at the time were accurate. Short cuts through California during a snow will not be a problem for us.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #310
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Is it time yet?

Maggie
Old 05-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #311
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
This is ONLY a test for what is to come in 2017...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Is it time yet?
Maggie

I have been ready the day after making the post on this Thread.

We are finishing up business in southern Nevada and going to be heading through Nevada, Utah and into Colorado the first week of June to get to the Greenhorn Boondocking Adventure early enough to see what trouble is awaiting these adventurers. I hope they have done their homework before starting, leaving time to do what they never thought possible...

I am taking GPS, making notes and planning to turn some Greenhorns into Off the Grid Campers by 2017. A little of miserable Off the Grid sites to make up for the cool stream and shade of the cottonwoods and willows Base Camping. There is no shortage of oooh and aaaw... so add some yuk and 'you have to be kidding' to just make it interesting. I kid you... not.

Some places have A live bird or two. Some have so much agate that you have to be very picky. Some have views of Moab, Utah sweltering in the heat while you are fighting off gnats and flies in cool discomfort. Some... places are in between National Parks, mountains and mesas that will draw your fuel tanks down faster than one can imagine.

At the same time making notes of other miserable places to take you, Lilly and the Survivors of Wyoming to easier places to eat dust and have a good time.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #312
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Still fully comitted . . .

Being halfway through my ten Walt Longmire novels, I am - and remain - fully committed to this Adventure.

I'm arriving in Laramie a day early so I can take my leisurely time visiting my long time Airstream friends, Jodi and John Guerin, at both of their Laramie businesses: Coal Creek Coffee, 110 Grand Ave, Laramie, WY 82072 in the morning and Coal Creek Tap right next door at 108 Grand Ave. from noon onward. They are located on the East side of the railroad tracks, directly opposite (and a bit aways from) the Wyoming Territorial Prison. See y'all in August, pardners.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #313
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I have to pick up DW in Denver on Sat AM @ 09:00 That is when her plane lands, Lord willing and no delays. Visiting relatives as well so I don't see us leaving Denver for Laramie before mid afternoon. 150 miles after that puts us into Laramie in time for a late supper. Noon is not going to happen.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #314
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Depart Date: Sunday August 14, 2016 9AM

OK... we have the definite date:

Departing Laramie at 9 AM on August 14, 2016 SUNDAY from the Wyoming Territorial Prison parking lot. Have your fuel topped off, groceries and water you plan to take on board.

Dogs walked, watered and fed.

Thank you for the Feedback.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:48 AM   #315
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think this is a good plan.

Gather on the 13th, do a little meet and greet amongst the humans, and let our dogs do their thing.

I don't remember the dog total for this gig, but it is high.

I am planning on being into Wyoming by early August, to avoid the frenzy of Bike Week , and to poke around the Big Horns a bit....an area just touched on by us in previous trips.

So much to see out there.

Maggie
Old 05-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #316
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
santa fe , New Mexico
We plan to overnight in Denver on the 12th then drive up to Laramie on the morning of the 13 th.

Tom & Vicki
tmcguffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #317
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Initial Fresh Water needs... while in Wyoming

As of today, we have 18 trailers, 32 Human Beans, 12 Canines. There have been three cancellations from an original number of 21 trailers.

One trailer is meeting at DuBois, Wyoming.
Seventeen are meeting at Laramie, Wyoming.

With several months until D-Day (Depart Day), there is a possibility of one or more cancellations. Please email me if you are unable to attend.

Laramie and Cheyenne, Wyoming city water is excellent if you are to top off your fresh water tanks and flush your water lines. Better to wait... if you do not want to haul the extra weight upgrade into Laramie. Once at Laramie, top off your fresh water tank as it is well worth the quality of the City Water to hold out and not tow up from Cheyenne. Find the Fresh Water where ever you can in Laramie... the local truck stops are the best to check first.

Water will be found in Laramie, Wyoming.
Water will be found at Forest Service at Lander, Wyoming.
Water will be found at truck stops along I-80 (Rawlins, WY).
Well water is available at the Double Cabin campground.

Some on the Forum have said that carrying a full fresh water tank does not affect their towing mileage... It may cost you 10%+ in gasoline mileage going from Cheyenne to Laramie on I-80. Maybe true if on flat highway grades. The extra weight will lower your center of gravity and any cross winds will seem minor while traveling is an advantage.

Most of our travel once at Laramie and onward will be on two lane asphalt roads. All of our Base Camps are on good gravel or decent graded roads, maintained by the BLM or County.

If you hold out for Laramie or Rawlings to top off your fresh water, you can avoid pulling the weight 50 miles up and over the climb into Laramie from Cheyenne. Once at Laramie and beyond, it is a good idea to keep what fresh water you are comfortable with maintaining. The extra cost in fuel is not much, but for those already carrying too much already... it could help.

It is not necessary to carry full jugs of fresh water in your tow vehicle. Carrying one or two EMPTY water jugs IS a good idea once we are Base Camped to bring or to refill from local well pumps, when available.

When we are arriving at a town for groceries and filling fresh water tanks after Rawlins, Wyoming a meeting spot will be determined in advance where to meet. It may be in that town OR a town further down the road that is convenient. This way everyone can scatter throughout town to refuel, pick up groceries and be ready to move on. Rawlings will be the first stop after Laramie and testing the 'where to meet' system.

The towns for 'adding' groceries are Laramie, then Lander, then Jackson and then... well, things begin to become scarce at DuBois and smaller towns.

All of this will be discussed at Laramie, but now is a good time to develop any questions you may have in advance. For some this is not new. For others, this will be a new experience and once the routine is understood, no daylight will be wasted waiting.

Anyone who needs an emergency restroom stop, will know where our next town to refuel will be in advance. If you get disorientated... cell phone service can be 'spotty' as we travel to locate the caravan AND yourself. Having a Wyoming State Map from the AAA and an Atlas of Wyoming is highly recommended.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #318
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
santa fe , New Mexico
I read this article in the NYT this am found it interesting. For those with literary bent, you might bring a copy of Lolita along. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/tr...=36608240&_r=0

Tom
tmcguffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #319
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Member Introductions are the first big step...

Members of this Wyoming Adventure. Since there are more members than one can introduce at one time, tell some things about yourself/yourselves.

- Why are you even considering to attend a two week excursion into the wilds of Wyoming with people you may have never met personally, other than short posts on the Airforums?

- Have you camped in Wyoming Off the Grid or anywhere else?

- Is this a minor or a dramatic change in your use of your Airstream?

- Which spouse thought this was a... good idea? ... and why? Did one spouse need some assurances that this was in their best interests as well?

- Do you feel prepared and confident that this is not a casual vacation trip, but something different?

- Describe how you plan to prepare for something that you have no idea what to expect, other than generalities that one member offered?

- Have you even looked at a map of Wyoming and get a sense that we are traveling in one large circle and still end up in nowhere?

Everyone on this Adventure has a story. Mine... Nancy, myself and our two Blue Heelers are totally comfortable doing what we do, ourselves. We are not necessarily comfortable among a large group of more than ourselves and dogs. It becomes hard to predict how some are going to react to situations that are outside their comfort zone. This is our challenge on these Adventures.

Yours... is on the other side, not knowing what to expect.

We all would appreciate your impressions of where you are going to find yourselves very soon. You are unknown to everyone but myself and yourselves. Is it the 'unknown' that makes this all appealing to you?

When we depart Laramie, Wyoming... I will be assigning 'jobs' to those who actually do show up. This will include several who will help myself to organize where I find the best arrangement to park and set up campsites. Some may not want a responsibility. That might be true, but this is a group effort, not an individual guided tour by one Forum Member, his wife and two dogs.

So, please. Give the group and idea of your expectations.

You never know. Somewhere in the 2017 planning for any possible future Adventures... those who participate will be invited to attend future events. There is a cost to everyone to share some responsibility. There is also reward for those who are not tagging along for the... comforts of numbers. A smaller group has its own rewards and the more valuable you become as a 'team member' the easier everything becomes for smaller, more efficient groups.

'You never know.' Well, I do know. If this is no fun for ourselves and those who take the time from their busy lives to share these Adventures... we all have better options.

Myself. I blather enough on the AirForums until your eyes glaze over. It is because there is so much to say, while most individual's attentions are within two paragraphs complaining about toilet paper clogging their black tank.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #320
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am going simply because I know it will be interesting and an overall great experience, which I would otherwise not have.

Maggie