Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #441
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I'm inbound. Camping in desMoines tonight left Kitchener Sunday morning and spent last night in Benton Harbour Mi. Could be in Denver by Wednesday night at this rate. Have to be there by Friday night. My father's saying was "There's nothing wrong with early, late is another story. .
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:02 AM   #442
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am poking along the North Platte River....if I could just find a fishing pullout, I would be really happy to spend a night on the banks.

Going to be into Laramie on Wednesday, I've decided, as there are things I need to do in preparation which are best done in "still" mode.

I still haven't bought bear spray, and that is on my shopping list...

Maggie
Old 08-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #443
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Cheyenne or Laramie, WY vicinity... Off the Grid site

If anyone will be in the Laramie or Cheyenne, Wyoming vicinity Friday afternoon, call Nancy at her cell number, Friday after Noon. West of Cheyenne and East of Laramie off of I-80.

Two of us are hoping to find an open Friday trailer pull through campsite along I-80, spend the evening and leave for the Wyoming Territorial Prison Saturday AM. If there are any campsites to be found once we are there, a quick look over of the area can be made to accommodate others, arriving early. Otherwise, the Territorial Prison is Option Number Two...

I do not want to say too soon, where... as Friday can be a busy day for locals, as well, to camp out the weekend. If there are open sites when we arrive, I can give directions and try to appear disgusting enough to prevent others from wanting to camp near me.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #444
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Wyoming Migration has begun

I had an inquiry if any posts will be made on the progress of the Wyoming Adventure, for those who would have liked to attend, but were unable.

Nancy and I have 'dumb phones'. I have a $10 a month cell phone and rarely use it. Neither can do much of anything.

Some on this trip have sophisticated cell phones and tablets. I encourage any that can, to explain what is happening and add a photo whcih is worth a hundred of my words, any day.

I heard from Ice Man, to tell Maggie, that Wiggins Fork, ten miles downstream flowing into the Wind River is at 54 degrees, Sunday. Some mountain rains were clouding up the Wind River... but as you near Riverton, Wyoming the 'badlands' wash into the river, adding lots of clay in suspension.

One member is hunting for a tire for their Tow Vehicle in Wichita, Kansas.

One member is coming by Castle Rock around noon. We are offering our washing machine and dryer, as well as dumping trash for our Thursday trash pick up.

One member is going to miss our departure from Castle Rock, Friday AM and will be parked along our cul de sac for a peaceful evening. Anyone else is welcome.

One member is catching up with us at DuBois.

So the migration begins to Laramie. Some members I have not heard one word, or two words.

The moon is filling on this trip. The forecast for next week looks great. Fuel will be cheaper, than in Colorado. Costco at $1.95 yesterday for unleaded. We will have a member with a telescope and I want to see Mars and Saturn before they are gone for the season.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #445
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Just met Burnside Bob, SDunkin and Mrs. Fig at Idaho Rest Stop and wanted to book mark thread as we too are heading to Medicine Bow.
Burnside Bob & SDuncan it was a pleasure meeting you....as discussed I'm sad to leave Oregon!
Safe travels,
FCloud9 ( Sharon & Nick )
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #446
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ray, how about a current list of attendees?

Maggie
Old 08-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #447
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
12 more or less out of an original 21....

Traveluminum left here about an hour ago. MasTerra will be here tomorrow, PM. Tmcguffy will be here Friday PM. Maggie is on her way to Laramie. We will be leaving Castle Rock, Friday AM with MasTerra to catch traveluminum at a remote Off the Grid site for Friday evening and drop into Laramie Saturday AM to catch the Territorial Prison Tour.

IceMan is back in Tucson, AZ after scouting western Wyoming. Double Cabin was dry and brown. Tucson was wet and green. Figure that weather pattern out. Nita... see you in Tucson this February... get feeling better!

Out of 21 original date closed number of members, 11 for the entire two weeks.

I expect 11 and a 12th meeting at Double Cabin. There could be... more, there could be less.

FCloud9... you know where to find us. The same with anyone else that just... happened to be in the area.

I heard from Thalweg that Wyoming's gas is a dime or so higher than Colorado. There was a ten cent tax increase when gasoline bottomed out several years ago.

I am reading the Ford F350 manual on how everything works... this is going to be a On the Job process.

Traveluminum has 8 Michelin's on the ground... I am going to catch his opinion on how they are working out. Same for me. Anyone else? This Adventure will be a great test for tires, rivets and a few grey hairs in the process.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #448
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We all owe a big thank you to Neil Freeman/Ice Man, for his efforts on behalf of those of us attending this shindig....he doing a lot of scouting and checking out and looking into in advance of this trip that he and his wife cannot attend.

Thank you, Neil.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #449
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We're crossing NE and plan to spend a Thu and Fri nights in Cheyenne. Will be at Prison early Sat AM.

Hope it's cooler in WY.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #450
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's very comfortable in Laramie...a welcome break from the heat.

The morning tour at the prison is 11am.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #451
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Cooler, alright... you may find our evenings... 'nippy'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
We're crossing NE and plan to spend a Thu and Fri nights in Cheyenne. Will be at Prison early Sat AM.

Hope it's cooler in WY.

Cheyenne is at 6200 feet elevation. Laramie is at 7200 feet elevation. As the sun begins to set, you begin to add layers of clothing. By morning you will do the reverse of stripping down after the sun is up. Denver is at 5200 feet and it gets very nice after sunset.

I prefer short pants and tee shirt with a long sleeve shirt as a day jacket. By sunset you will be most likely wearing all of this and a jacket. Even though it was in the 90's in the flat land... Wyoming can be hot, cold, moderate, humid, dry, windy, no wind and a snowstorm... all in an hour. I will rent a spare wooly jacket for $5 a night, if needed.

We average 30 degree drops here in Castle Rock from the high to morning low... if it is clear. Double Cabin and clear nights... this could go almost any direction. We had 18 degrees in July one morning at Double Cabin. Froze the dog's water bowl solid and our water pump needed to thaw out. The rest of the time was in the upper 40's to mid 50's. This year... your guess is better than my guess.

Maggie... I think Neil bought his own trout for that photo op. There was a price tag from Albertson's on its tail if you look close. Maybe...

I am bringing all of my sockets, breaker bars and torque tool to check:

- Tow Ball nut is tight on hitch. Mine was LOOSE from dealer.
- Equalizer Hitch owners... swivels need to be torqued at 45 pounds. Mine were loose and maybe closer to 30 pounds... from dealer.
- Large bolt and nuts I have the standard and the weird MM sockets.

Once at the Territorial Prison Parking Lot... they may have a preferred way to arrange the trailers. I am thinking length wise and in parallel rows so not to crowd the other Prison visitors. So if someone gets there first, just stop into the Prison and find their preferred arrangement. It is a pretty good size parking lot.

Top off your fuel in Laramie and anything else you need. If you take the first exit on the East side of Laramie, there is a Walmart as you get close to the Football Stadium... on your right. Do NOT use the gas station as you come into town. It is tight and awkward, unless you want to plow the side of your trailer on a concrete pole.

There are two truck stops on the west side of town.

The Prison is on the west side of town... and EAST of I-80. (I-80 swings to the north on the west side of Laramie.) If you miss the third exit into Laramie... you are on your way to... Rawlins. So ANY turn into Laramie is better than finding an exit while on your way to Rawlins. OK?

Anyone who wants to post photographs as this Adventure develops on this Thread is encouraged to do so. I have maxed out my Regular Membership photo quota. I was told by a Member attending this Adventure, had the photos I sent to everyone of these campsites were on this Thread... we would need to speak four or five languages to handle everyone attending with those Grand Canyon rental RV's.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #452
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Dang, caught again with the Old Albertson's Trout Trick, only the nearest Albertson's is in Jackson -- this one was an IGA trout!

Thanks for the kind words. As you can tell, the only place I'd rather be than with you adventurers is with my my main girl and my three little girls. Don't often go anywhere without em. (As Mark Twain said: "If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go.")

And the signs - image of a big Grizzly front paw and the words "Be Bear Aware," you'll see 'em on this adventure.

I've got my maps and I'll be following you each step of the way. Post Pictures.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #453
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Currently 53 degrees in Laramie, with a projected high of 77.

Maggie
Old 08-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #454
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I'm in Denver awaiting DW's arrival on Saturday. See you in Laramie.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #455
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Ray and Nancy
We (Jan, Ed and Sir Guinness) are in Niwot (near Boulder Colorado) visiting daughter and Grands. Will be leaving today late or tomorrow to arrive Saturday for our incarceration at Laramie. Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new friends. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #456
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Unifreck offers First Aid at Prison Tour on Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
Ray and Nancy
We (Jan, Ed and Sir Guinness) are in Niwot (near Boulder Colorado) visiting daughter and Grands. Will be leaving today late or tomorrow to arrive Saturday for our incarceration at Laramie. Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new friends. AEW

How many Airstreamers have started their trips the day Released from a Prison Tour, or escape?

This may be a record, considering Laramie has had two huge Airstream gatherings in the past. Yet... none held at the Prison, that I am aware.

These WBCCI, I guess, gatherings would be when you exit the first exit on the East Side of Laramie. It is now Graduate Student housing and towards the Football Stadium to the North of the main drag into town. Thalweg had some great vintage photos of the 'City on Wheels'. His trailer has a sticker as being a survivor Airstream from that occasion.

I am unsubscribing from this Thread, as I am low tech and leave that to those who know how to answer a cell phone and connect with the internet. I am a 19th Century Cowboy living in the 21st Century. If you have not developed a sense of humor from following some of these Posts... you will by the end of this Adventure. A Wyoming... Howdy to All.

No good deeds go... unpunished. Good bye, So Long and I hope Pink is not the Color of the Week in Laramie!
Old 08-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #457
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Susan and I are on our way to Laramie. At this moment we at Lincoln County Library in Kemmerer, WY. Hope to make it to Snowy Range Pass today. See you Saturday at the Prison. Nice meeting you too, FCloud9.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #458
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470943686.428342.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	268829we got set up in vedauwoo. It's beautiful, 72 degrees. A great start to this adventure. As of 1:30, there are about 6 spaces left that will accommodate trailers, and about that many more smaller ones for short trailers or motor homes

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
traveluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #459
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
The water system is not working here, so anyone planning on coming here, plan on filling your water tanks first

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
traveluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #460
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Looks like a beautiful spot, Richard.

Jennifer Rettig has just arrived here at the Laramie KOA, so now we are two.

Maggie