Old 09-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #519
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Hmmmm, that Stanley Idaho area looks like an area worthy of some exploration. You might be onto something there Bob. And just south of Stanley is Obsidian. That sounds like a place worthy of some Ray Eklund geologic investigating.

I think it's too far out to plan right now, but we should talk in the Spring.

Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #520
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico

Stanley is a big crowded tourist area. I have stayed in Grandjean which is a little wsw of Stanley. It is in the National Forest and has a rustic campground with a hot spring fed pool called Sawtooth Lodge and a couple of miles further a National Park campground and hiking trails. Hot springs also on the Payette River which runs parallel to the forest road access. Other National Forest campgrounds in the area.

Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #521
3 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
The last time we went to Grand Jean the road was pretty rutted. I'm not sure that I'd even want to take our beat-up Phoenix down that. Maybe it has been graded. There certainly are a lot of Idahoans with high clearance TT's boondocking near the hot springs. As far as hiking goes, it is at least 8 miles in from the trailhead before the magic happens.
Stanley is pretty bad, so is Redfish Lake. However, take the ferry then hike a bit, then Cramer Lakes or Baron Lakes---so special! I think God goes there on weekends.

duncans is offline   Reply With Quote