Old 08-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #491
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Thanking the Map Makers....

Tmcguffy and Thalweg did everyone a service putting maps together.

Some did not need 'no stinking maps'. They never finished the trip either. With the dust and mud... and dog vomit by Lily on Lily&me's detailed directions, it was a miracle all found their way around.

All remain memories, some of which, I will consider treatment for in the near future.

With an original 21 signed up before being closed to those most likely to have completed this venture into the unknown... FIVE survived. Some found Jackson rough enough to explore and others... who knows what kind of tall fish stories will come from total fiction of MasTierra and those heading to the blank spaces on a map of western North Dakota and the over populated Black Hills.

We all should share our stories, even if you have to make it up. No one on this Forum would know the difference and I truly believe that Wyoming is better off today with our hard earned cash and our sucking, mostly dust, maybe some mud, for two weeks as a thank you. You would have lost your money from the holes in your own pockets in time, anyway.

So off we will all go into the recorded history of this Forum and if you remain silent... you will also remain unknown and lack any linguistic skills of combining nouns, verbs and adjectives into one complete sentence.

Ignorance and poor grammar are common skills, now taught at all colleges and university staff, today.

So from Prison to... well lacking the view of Oregon Butte... we were pioneers and Parted Ways along the Oregon Trail. Some of us followed the directions of the Donner party with an appetite for adventure, and others the maps of Tom and Brent. God bless their souls where ever they are hiding. The Vigilantes of this group are looking for you.... Single Cabin and Out House was a farce.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #492
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
sssshhhhh.....

What happens at Oregon Buttes stays at Oregon Buttes!

We may not have ventured to the "Buttes" but we did find some interesting 4WD trails near our campsite

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472227060.348518.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	270050

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #493
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Rock Docking Thank You

We’re home. While we were enjoying cold nights and thunderstorms on Wyoming’s Roof-of-the-Continent, our home was extra hot and dry. We came home to a dried up landscape, our native Oregon Ash and Big Leaf Maples yellowing and shedding leaves. We have been struggling to catch up on chores and the Phoenix sits outside unwashed but not unloved.

A big thank you Ray and Nancy for organizing this Wyoming adventure. The country we visited was everything we imagined, the company exceptional. We had a great time and hope to meet our co-travelers in the future.

Ray deserves a nomination for Cat Herder of the Year. We were 11 strong at the Wyoming Territorial Prison, a manageable number of people and truck/trailers. The planned group size of 20 would have been unwieldy. As Ray mentioned, folks spun off to their own destinations, like space probes whirling around one planet to reach another. We too felt the pull and at the west-most point we achieved escape velocity, rocketing West back via the Pahsimeroi Valley and the Sawtooth Range of Idaho followed by the Blue Mountains of East Oregon.

We learned a few things. We popped our first rivits. The F350 was rock solid under all conditions. The refrigerator door kept opening and dumping contents. When you do 40 mph on gravel, the trailer is completely enveloped in dust, but the pick up’s ride is smoother.

Figgy misses the rockdocking routine and her canine friends. She recognized the bumps and squiggles of our final mile, became excited, literally jumped out the door, made a quick circle of the yard and house, but when we opened the trailer door where did she go? To her trailer watch-dog station. We watched her thru the kitchen window as she watched us thru the trailer door. It was like, “OK, house and yard still here, now let’s get going!! What are you doing in there, c’mon.”

Hoping we see you all down the road.

Dave, Susan, and Figgy

Photos of each rockdocking day coming in future posts. Here’s a couple from the trip home:

Finger Dusting:

Hey, How Come I Don’t Get to go to the Burger Joint?

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #494
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
You cannot imagine how much I am enjoying reading about your adventures. We were part of the "original 20", but life got in the way and I had to have a new hip instead. So I am one week post op and ready for an adventure of my own! Even though we've never met, I feel like I know most of you.
...and so it goes...!
Paula

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-27-2016, 07:03 AM   #495
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Thanks for taking us along! Enjoyed the photos.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #496
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
I second that, avionstream - enjoyed following this thread, and appreciate Ray's way with words and stories. Kudos to all the brave adventurers who ventured into beautiful Wyoming, which Ray aptly describes as being 70% composed of wind. Traveling there myself today, but unfortunately to a funeral rather than an AS adventure.

Enjoyed tagging along...
Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #497
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
TWO Women are Masters of Boondock 'Backing Uppers'

I have heard of deceased husbands, leaving this world, somehow, at a too young of age, making comment that 'Women belong in the Kitchen and not behind the steering wheel of a tow vehicle with Airstream attached'.

Since my life is simple on these Boondocking adventures, it leaves me with time to watch and study various personalities and skills of individuals backing up their trailers. Also those who have found others with similar interests and pleasing personalities to make some future... RV Park trips together, as well.

As I have said and repeated many times to the hearing impaired, as myself... I am not a Tour Guide but a Facilitator of Boondocking. I point and say what is in that general direction... you need to find it. I have already been there once or maybe three times and it is up to you for your own entertainment and refreshments.

YOU are MY entertainment.

It does NOT give me goose bumps to see the five legged, two headed cow in western Kansas a fifth time. That is where the giant Prairie Dog made of concrete is located, as well. Although the original concrete giant prairie dog must have fallen over and replaced with one not as 'handsome'. (Between Hays, Kansas and Wakeeney, Kansas.)

Just follow me a minute so I can get to the purpose of this post. Well, even the purpose of this Thread, which is also beyond my simple expectations of nothing and finding a rock in a sand pit in the desert.

When anyone can back up a tow vehicle with an Airstream Trailer attached, that helps if it IS still attached... I am impressed. This group was especially keen on backing up... well, nearly everyone but we all did back up at one time or another.

VeeVee (Jan) and BurnsideBob (Susan) were on the top of the scale from 1 to 100. Obviously both are Farm Gals... one for sure, the other easily could be found rowing hay in a large field of dried cut hay for fun.

Having their names mentioned on this Forum will, of course, intimidate the rest of you, who prefer the drive in and out camping spots. That is OK with me. It keeps all of our insurance rates lower than we would expect.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #498
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Hey guys, We bailed after Greys river because Laura wanted to take me into Yellowstone. We unhitched at the RV park in Alpine and went touring on Sunday AM. We saw the smoke from the fire that closed the south entrance the next day. Good timing EH? We drove all the way up to Mammoth hot springs where we saw 6 elk on the lawn in front of the hotel placidly lying on the grass and chewing their cud. The boss bull of the group had a rack on him as big as a 4-2 smart car. A return trip to Wyoming is definitely in the cards. Thanks Ray and Nancy for a great time. We did laundry on Monday and then headed east, stopping in Laramie to see Thea and in Cheyenne to get a replacement tire. We just got home today around 6 PM. A torrential downpour of rain between Benton Harbor Michigan and the Canadian border washed all of the accumulated Double Cabin mud off of the truck and trailer. The rig sits in the drive cleaner than it was when I left here 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #499
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Gearheart, glad to hear you made it home, had good fishing luck at Grey’s River, and finished with a clean rig. No rain here so mine’s still dirty!!

Here’s a few photos from the meet up day and the first travel day. Some of us arrived in time to take the 11AM prison tour.

Day 0—Meet Up at the Wyoming Territorial Prison parking lot.

11AM Tour Group.

Our group at the Prison parking Lot. Gearheart hasn’t pulled in yet.

University of Wyoming museum some of us visited after the prison tour.

Day 1—Wyoming Territorial Prison to Beaver Rim

A stop at the “Bone Cabin”.

Virginian Motel Bar—nvestysly reinforcing himself for the drive.

On the road to Rawlins.

Turning from pavement to adventure, Beaver Rim

Socializing on the Rim.

Social hour.

Going, going, going. . . .

Gearheart warming up the Beaver Rim crowd.

More to follow.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:09 AM   #500
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Burnside Bob,

Excellent pictures and captions! Look forward to seeing more.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #501
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Ocala , Florida
Greetings fellow Wyoming 2016 Boondocking Adventurers:
Mas Tierra yearned for "more land" but not before cementing friendships with this rag tag group.
Ray and Nancy did a yeoman's job of conducting this trip. We would never venture into the wilds of Wyoming without their expertise. Most valuable lesson (other than how to train an unruly dog) was......go ahead and explore, get off the asphalt, and forget water and electricity.
Traveluminum seeya in Texas enjoyed our break away to North Dakota.
Jen & Q so connected somehow.
Dave, Susan and the favored Mrs. Fig such a great hike. We have much to learn from Mr. Google. Hope to see u in the Beaver State. Call or PM me for eye consult.
Ed and Jan great to enter inner sanctum of your interstate.
Lilly and Me.....see ya at canopener and bring your recipes. Your crocheted gift stays in Ms. T.
Gearheart thank you for the flies and campfire serenade esp possum in the headlights.
Nvestysly hope to join u someday building homes.
Fred love the diversity you and the Alaskan brought to these cans.
Thalweg looking forward to Buffalo visit and thanks for leading us out of the mud blood and the beer. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472418397.649433.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	270216Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472418427.313540.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	270217Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472418479.286104.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	270218Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472418555.081461.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	270219Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472418605.819262.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	270220Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472418646.369393.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	270221
Awesome trip awesome people awesome country.
One word description of this adventure........AWESOME.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:42 PM   #502
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Mas Tierra, thanks for the update. And nicely spoken. But don’t you owe us a fish story??

Day 2 Beaver Rim to Sawmill Creek above the “Sinks”

Our Beaver Rim venue had awesome views, but was exposed to the wind. While the wind died away as darkness grew, it returned later with trailer shaking force. Susan and I woke to a mostly normal scene, but others, who had left windows open and fans on, found dust coating everything.

A few thundershowers remained, the wind continued. Momentarily, a few rain drops fell.

Shower Wyoming style.

Westerly View.

Rim Breakfast Club.

Oh what to do? With the continued wind, most folks favored moving on. So we moved to Sawmill Creek. A stop for second breakfast at the Ox Bow in Lander, WY was called. One party decided not to continue so we were a group of ten airstream crews that partook of second breakfast.

En masse we climbed the road to Sinks State Park. This is an excellent road, evenly graded, paved, steep. After passing Sinks State Park the road climbs the canyon wall via 12 or so switchbacks. Finally breaking out above the canyon, we passed a reservoir and a really wonderful meadow surrounded by tall trees, our intended destination. Unfortunately, there were other boondockers, so we pulled off for a reconnoiter. An area right on Sawmill Creek proved suitably large and level to accommodate.

A group birthday celebration for Shelly was called for 5:30 that evening. Susan baked a cake, frosted it with melted chocolates, and then, with time on our hands, Susan and I wandered off towards a high point east of camp. The walk was easy, if a bit confounded by thickets of young aspens. We circled around behind the high point, cleared the aspen ground, and entered a rock filled draw. Nearly at the top, we turned around to realize a use road came half the way up the hill, by passing the aspen thickets.

Cake baker on the rocks.

Rock Photo. It was rockdocking, you know.

Our encampment from on high.

Time running out, we turned around without reaching the top—we had to bring the cake you know. We found quite a few wild raspberries, so we picked some for the birthday gathering. There were also red and black currants and bear berries (Arctostaphylos uvaursi), but they didn’t taste as good as the raspberries.

High Point from camp.

Well, I didn’t feel comfortable sticking a camera in everyone’s face, so no photos of a great get together anchored by bean dip and topped by birthday cake complete with candles. Fire danger was extreme, but the birthday girl quickly and efficiently extinguished the open flames, and we had a great time discussing all manner of topics.

Day 3. Sawmill Creek layover day.

Sunlight creeps into camp.

Today we had to take care of business. Our tow vehicle brakes had suddenly developed a horrible metal on metal sound. 2500 miles no problem, pull off into the sage for 100 yards, and what?? So Susan and I slipped off to Lander to look for a brake shop. As Ray reported, an expedition was mounted to climb the high point which achieved notable success.

We had our own success. On a straight stretch Susan stomped on the brakes, then accelerated. Lots of screeching followed by the sound of a rock bouncing around one of our wheels, then silence. We celebrated the resolution of our brake issue by buying lots of gas for the truck and ice and beverages for ourselves. We also stopped at the sinks, and gawked at the humongous trout.

Continuing back, three switchbacks into the big climb, we ran into a cattle drive. “Just push thru the cows” they said.

Family affair.

Boeuf a la hoof.

A leisurely afternoon ensued, followed by a second birthday party, this one for Danielle!! And more great conversation as darkness fell.

More to come.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:49 PM   #503
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472519453.586523.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	270321watching Jan high stepping while screaming alerted me to the prairie rattler. Thankfully it didn't bite her or anyone else, since we were quite a distance from a hospital. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472519627.897407.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	270322here's one of the birthday girl, and maybe some of the 70% wind. Thanks again Susan for the delicious cake, and everyone else who made her 50th anniversary of her birthday special. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472519829.727484.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	270323Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472521144.173334.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	270328a moose running by Mas Tierra's Airstream near Meadowlark lake in the Bighorns. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472521725.043288.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	270329One of the more famous areas of Wyoming. Maybe not as famous as a concrete groundhog, but famous nonetheless.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #504
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
We made it home safely after 5 weeks on the road. We left Texas with temps in the 100's, and no rain in the past 8 weeks. We came home to temps in the low 90's, over 6 inches in the rain gauge, green grass, and a full pond. Wow, we need to leave more often. Thanks everyone for the memories, and we'll see y'all down the road.