Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Ikea Slat System Under Memory Foam Mattress

Just got back from Ikea and bought the Sultan Fidjetun memory foam mattress in queen size for rear bedroom conversion from twins. It is one of the less expensive options they had but I preferred it over the "better" mattresses as it is softer and lighter. 48 pounds according to the Ikea website.

I also bought the Laxeby slat foundation system for another $150. It is a pretty clever little system that allows you to adjust the firmness of a wide section of the slats. The slats are curved to provide a bit of additional spring/cushion under the mattress. But it comes in at 56 pounds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sultan-laxeby-slatted-bed-base__0107002_PE256448_S4.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	172715

The nice thing about it is that it has rails and a square frame along with the slats. All I have to do is support this frame and I'll have a nice functioning platform for the bed (and then I'll build out storage underneath and trim to make it all look nice). With a little effort, I can probably make this pop up with spring struts to access storage from the top.

Another good thing is that the slats are in fixed positions in little rubber-ish mounting thingies (technical terms, I think). They also provide a little more cushion.

But is it worth the 56 pound weight? I reasoned with myself that I was buying the cheapie, lightweight mattress so a few more pounds on the slats might not hurt too much.
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
I used the same system on my 34. I think it is worth it. And is it comfortable. I prefer the bed in the AS to the bed at home. I also made storage under it.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Great to hear - thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Now I need to decide if I want to modify the corners to fit the rear bedroom of the trailer. I'm really on the fence. It would be nice to have a regular queen and not have to deal with shaving the corners on the mattress and the frame... and having sheets that don't quite fit right.

Pictures of the corner of the ikea unit are attached.

Name:	photo 1(1).JPG
Views:	541
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	172740

Name:	photo 2(1).JPG
Views:	482
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	172741

The bed fits either way but being able to move it back a few extra inches would make the bed end just before the hatch doors on either side toward the front of the bedroom. A little nightstand would fit nicely in those spots, backing right up to the hatch on the outside.

But on the other hand, it doesn't really matter where the doors are as the platform under the bed will likely extend to cover them. So the full area underneath will be contiguous. I will still have room for a narrow ledge/nightstand on each side above the hatches if I push the bed forward, plus that would leave space for a 6 inch or so ledge all the way across the backside.

Still, a third option is having a walk around bed. I'm just remembering that is possible right now so now I need to go play around with a measuring tape to see if I would prefer that. My inclination is that I don't want to do that as the back and probably street side hatch would be useless as they'd open into the walk space.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
In looking at this frame a bit more closely, it seems like I could shave about 2.5 inches off the corners without too much hassle. It would be a hassle but just trying to determine if it is worth it to be able to push the bed back. I don't think this would quite get the bed to the back wall, but it would be fairly close. I think it might allow me to push the bed back about 6 inches.

If anyone has any thoughts on if it is worth it to get the bed back more -- which would also mean shaving the corners of the mattress -- please do chime in!

As I kind of said in my last post, I kind of feel like it would have limited value since there would be the benefit of MORE storage space under the bed by NOT shaving the corners. The main drawback in NOT shaving corners is that I couldn't build in "normal sized" furniture like a night stand and maybe a chest of drawers towards the front of the bedroom. Pushing it to the back would let me build furniture that backs up pretty well to the outside hatches in those locations.

But again, as I said before, I don't think it is that big of a loss as the hatches would still allow access from those hatches -- and probably better access -- to the contiguous under bed storage if I don't shave corners to push the bed back.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Well, getting this frame into the trailer and putting it up against the wall -- it does seem like it could be a foot from the back wall if I don't shave the corners. That looks like a lot when you get in there and mock it up to see it. 6 inches back and 6 inches away from the wall seems like it would be a lot better.

But now the issue is more about the cramped quarters for working. Arrrrgh! Why didn't anyone tell me that it can be cramped when trying to install a queen bed in an Airstream!? :-)

I did most of the assembly outside but decided to bring in the frame and put the two halves together when I was leaning against trimming the corners. Now it is inside and joined and I anticipate trying to do whatever else without removing it.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Here are some photos of the rough work on creating a platform for the ikea platform.... I am using metal framing studs as you can see in the photos and as discussed a bit more in this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/m...pot-98439.html

Attachment 172831

Attachment 172832

Attachment 172833

Attachment 172834

Attachment 172835
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #8

1978 23' Safari
austin , Texas
IS this the gaunco or the two twin beds that have been converted?
jennylea3382 is offline   Reply With Quote