Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
I broke it! Fold out table in 2004 Classic.

3rd time out in our "new to us" 2004 classic, and I broke the fold out table that flips out in front of the sofa. I was trying to put it away, and it wouldn't seem to close, so I pushed on the folding leg underneath to try to close it. Instead, it pulled the two wooden pads that attach to the underneath of the table , to which the springs are attached, right off the table. It pulled out the nails, and separated the glue. So sad. This unit was almost pristine. Rarely used and well taken care of. My DH is perversely pleased because he broke something the first time out and now we are even. Anyway, has anyone else dealt with this before? My DH says he thinks it is an easy fix. I doubt it. And what did I do wrong when trying to put the table down?
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
OH, that is frustrating. I just looked under our table, and I can't picture what broke. Can you post a picture? I should be fixable without too much trouble. Might have to re-build the *holes* with an epoxy filler to take the repair fasteners?
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi Ntex

Welcome to the community

The flip-out table is a little delicate so I can see how something like that might happen. It is important to lift slightly on the table when pushing in the leg, so that the leg can swing freely without being held in place by the carpet.

I suppose one approach to repair would be to purchase a new table assembly from an Airstream dealer although I suspect that's a 1%er's solution to the problem. The glue, not the nails, has the strength in these cases -- the nails just hold the blocks in place during manufacturing until the glue cures. I would suggest scraping or sanding the remaining glue off both the table and the blocks and regluing it with Titebond, Titebond II, or a similar high-grade wood glue, using nails, clamps, or weights to hold the blocks in place until the glue cures.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
And what did I do wrong when trying to put the table down?
The only thing I could see would be to have let HIM put it down so that it broke on him instead of you and then he could get the BLAME!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Love it eljay! Sage advice. Thanks for the technical help Jammer. It makes sense to me that the glue is important because the nails are little flimsy looking things and there is a good bit of tension on the leg. It sounds like he will need to remove the table from the wall to work on it. Is that hard to do?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
It sounds like he will need to remove the table from the wall to work on it. Is that hard to do?
Shouldn't be hard, if it's like ours. The table is secured to the cabinet with a continuous hinge. Just help him support it as he removes the many screws. It should drop right away.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter

Shouldn't be hard, if it's like ours. The table is secured to the cabinet with a continuous hinge. Just help him support it as he removes the many screws. It should drop right away.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks so much.