Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2017, 08:47 AM   #81
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I'm really interested in the easy start. I called dometic and was told installation of any non dometic part would void the warranty. I have two Honda 2000s with genconnex conversions. It would be nice to only carry one. Additionally a quieter start would also be welcomed. Any shared experience with this product would be appreciated.
Thanks for the interest, Shiny. I'm not surprise about Dometic's statement to you about their rooftop A/C warranty. Dometic's marine and truck A/C division in FL uses EasyStart, but not their RV division in IL. We sell EasyStart directly to Airxcel/Coleman for a specialized 240V/50Hz model they make for their Australian market, and even they tell customers that the warranty will be violated if someone installs an EasyStart into one of their domestic 115V systems! Seems absurd, but there's a lot of CYA that goes on with manufacturers' warranties. I can't say I blame them because if someone tried to replace a component in one of our controls that we manufacture at Micro-Air, we'd certainly deny any warranty claims.

Anyway, don't be worried. EasyStart won't damage your A/C. It actually protects the compressor further because of its built-in diagnostic faults that monitor operating current and motor rotation, even after the startup is long over with. Only EasyStart does this .
Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
A 2000w generator can't put out 30 amps.
The Companion has a 30A receptacle, and the generator alone will deliver a maximum of 16.6 amps. The 30A receptacle can be used anytime, but its main job is when you parallel-connection a second EU2000i and can route all power from both units to that receptacle (33.3A)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Installing the Easy Start in my Dometic Briskair 15000 btu this weekend. The factory gives a great how to sheet with color coded detailed instructions even I can follow. This is my second unit in as many trailers. They work.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #84
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
Installing the Easy Start in my Dometic Briskair 15000 btu this weekend. The factory gives a great how to sheet with color coded detailed instructions even I can follow. This is my second unit in as many trailers. They work.
Good to hear this. Mine is still in the box. It's a little cold to do the install right now. If I can run the AC with just the one Honda 2000, and it runs quieter... This is almost too good to be true. Hope your install goes well.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Not sure the AC will run quieter but the startup will be less cathartic for sure. The Easy Start is only active on start up to reduce the LRA. Locked Rotor Amps.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:30 AM   #86
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Good to hear this. Mine is still in the box. It's a little cold to do the install right now. If I can run the AC with just the one Honda 2000, and it runs quieter... This is almost too good to be true. Hope your install goes well.
Quote:
Not sure the AC will run quieter but the startup will be less cathartic for sure. The Easy Start is only active on start up to reduce the LRA. Locked Rotor Amps.
Yes, Trumpetguy, you are spot on. The EasyStart only affects the startup (first second of compressor operation). After that though, it continues monitoring and protecting the compressor and will shut it down and report a fault condition if one occurs. More to GettinAway's point though, customers with the Coleman Polar Cub and Mach 8 A/Cs have reported that the EasyStart completely eliminates the loud "bang" that those models seem to emit during compressor startups. Eliminating this noise was a great benefit for light sleepers.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
take pictures

If you guys can take pictures along the way, I appreciate. I will do mine in spring also...Dometic 1500.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Ditto. Dometic Penguin II 15,000 BTU
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Well I did not take any pictures because being on the roof trying to rest only on the rafters
is hard enough but I did successfully install my second easy start yesterday. I had to crimp on some spade connectors and strip some wires but all in all not too bad. It was much easier on the Oliver because you can jump up and down on those trailers without fear of damage. After cycling the AC five times on shore power as instructed, I fired up the Honda 2000i...on Propane, unplugged the AS from shore power and into the Honda and the AC fired up without a hiccup. We did fine on low and medium fan speeds but I guess high was just too much because the Honda tripped its overload breaker. After re setting the breaker I switched to economy mode and the AC fired up just like it should.

Just for fun I unplugged from all power and turned on the inverter (Magnum 3000) and it ran the AC as well.

If you buy an Easy Start be sure to ask Roger to email the step by step instructions for your model AC. It is dummy proof if you follow the steps.

It will sure be nice to have AC during rest stops, or while dry camping.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:34 AM   #90
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
We did fine on low and medium fan speeds but I guess high was just too much because the Honda tripped its overload breaker.
Outstanding news, Trumpetguy! Glad to hear all went well with your EasyStart installation and it was a success!

Although it doesn't have anything to do with the EasyStart, I'm curious why your Dometic Briskair 15k trips your Honda's overload during steady-state operation at high fan speed. Looking up the specs for your unit, the compressor's RLA is 12.9A and the fan's RLA is 2.5A. That's 15.4A in total, and the Honda should support up to 16.7A (maximum rated 2000W at 120V). I know Propane can reduce its capacity a little bit, especially at high altitudes, but usually that doesn't cause premature overload faults since the Honda's electronics stays the same regardless of the fuel source.

Therefore, something in your unit is drawing a little more current than its spec. If you have one of those clamp-on current probes like I used in the Youtube video, check the individual current draws on the common winding wires for both the fan (at high speed) and the compressor (while operating). Then compare those readings to the 2.5A and 12.9A, respectively. If you find that the compressor is drawing more than 12.9A, then that could be caused by reduced airflow past its condenser coil. Since you had the cover off of the unit to do the installation, I'm sure you cleaned out any debris that might have been blocking the condenser, but you may want to double check. Poor airflow raises the refrigerant pressures, which causes the compressor to draw more current, quite dramatically. This happens on every air conditioner, regardless of its manufacturer, since condensing temperature and pressures are directly related to compressor current draw.

Lastly, my co-worker Roger actually doesn't have access to all of the diagrams that I've produced over the past year for all the various model A/C units, so anyone can inquire with me if necessary. If I don't have a diagram specifically for your system, send me a clear photo of your diagram and I will draw in where the EasyStart gets wired and send it back to you, giving you your own custom diagram. Attached below is the standard in-box instruction sheet that we send out with every EasyStart, and a couple of custom diagrams for a Dometic Brisk or Penguin unit, and a Coleman Mach Unit.

Thanks again for the great report!
Old 02-07-2017, 05:23 AM   #91
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Trumpet Guy. Did you notice there wasn't the "clunk" when the AC compressor came on? Glad your install went ok. How long did it take?
Thx

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Definitely no clunk when the compressor kicked in. I was concerned when I did not hear or feel it...then the AC got cold so all was good. My installation took longer just because at seven decades I have some joint issues making it difficult to move around on the rooftop. I had to make a run to Ace Hardware for some spade connectors also. My best guess is that it took no more than one hour not including the trip to Ace.

All the best with your installation.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
To Micro Air. Thanks for the input about the breaker. In all fairness I need to try and duplicate the condition a few times to make sure it wasn't just a case of the thermostat shutting off coincidentally with my rotating the fan speed knob.

Regarding the installation diagram please check with Roger about the conversation I had with him yesterday.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #94
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Regarding the installation diagram please check with Roger about the conversation I had with him yesterday.
Thank you. I spoke to Roger and what he provided to you yesteday is attached below. He also included some helpful instructions that apply to all Dometic system installations since all of their models pretty much have the same wiring diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Brisk Air 2 EasyStart 364 Wiring Diagram.pdf (233.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Perfect.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Liberty , Missouri
Like the concept of the EasyAir and will probably buy it, but curious as to which Honda 2000i would be more appropriate if only requiring one unit to operate the air conditioner. The regular or the companion? As it seems to me, the companion's 30 amp plug connection would be more conducive, (no pun intended) to operation by allowing the stock 30 amp power cord to be used. Brighter minds? Also, as I have already bought the standard 2000i. Sigh.
Sgtlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not think it matters which one. If you have the one with the 30 amp outlet you still have to buy an adaptor to plug the Airstream in to it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #98
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Liberty , Missouri
Okay. Thank you very much Bill M.. Makes me feel a little better that I'm able to use the one Ive got. Still real new here. But learning a lot.
Sgtlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Is anyone installing the 366 instead?
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Is anyone installing the 366 instead?
Larry
I've bought it, made up my wires and it sits on my bench awaiting 50*

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote