Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

On the , Road
DC Bus Bar Location on 2005 Safari 28WB

Can anyone tell me the physical location of the DC bus bar on this Airstream? I have an intermittent issue with the AWG 6 white wire that attaches to the DC terminal on the power converter overheating sometimes. I've been told it could be a loose connection at the bus bar. I can't trace the white wire because it runs into a plastic conduit with the red one and appears to exit through the floor. The underside is all enclosed with aluminum, of course, so I don't want to have to remove it just to trace the wiring to the bus bar. Can anyone help me on this one? I have the wiring diagram, but it does not show physical location of components. A post I saw in another location indicated it might be at or near the front of the trailer, but didn't specify if on top of, or under, the floor.

Thanks!
2005 Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
What shape are the battery terminals in, clean and tight? that sounds like the charge wire to the batteries.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

On the , Road
They appear to be. clean and tight The batteries are less than 2 years old, full of fluid, and connections checked just this morning. The white wire is the one to the battery, I believe. The actual cable connection to the battery negative post is black. The repairman thinks there is a bus between the black cable on the battery and the white wire 6 gauge wire from the converter that probably also contains other whites for other circuits. Neither he nor I know the location of that bus, if one exists.

We all agree that the heat seems to manifest itself from a loose connection somewhere. It doesn't appear to be on the battery end nor the power converter end, though.

Thanks for your reply. Any other ideas or places to look for a bus?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
Look inside on the forward wall, mid-ship, about 3 feet up and behind a breaker panel style cover. That's where mine is anyway, behind my couch.
subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

On the , Road
Thank you, Subsea, for your reply. Is your panel cover visible without removing any furniture? I have a storage area behind the couch along the front wall below the windows.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
With the couch(gaucho) deployed to the sleeping position, easy access to the panel can be made.

I have a small storage area underneath the gaucho against the forward wall, but it's only 10" tall or so.
subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Some unit have a batten material covering that section of the wall. If it is there it is removed with snaps along the top edge.

Remove the negative wires on the batteries before you go into that panel to check tightness. Otherwise the sparks will fly

Old 02-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

On the , Road
Again, thanks for the replies. The front of my model is made differently than yours, Subsea, but a flashlight and lots of crawling and reaching under cubbyholes has revealed that the bus bar is about 6 inches off the floor against the front wall well to the left of center. It appears that much of the couch/bed may have to be disassembled to allow human access. It can be seen with a light and mirror, but not quite reached with arms even as long as mine. We've removed cushions and some of the panels held on with screws, but have yet to determine the best way to remove just enough for access without removing the whole thing.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

On the , Road
Update: Having removed about 100 screws and various pieces of trim and furniture, I gained access to the bus bar. All lugs on every connection were tight. Using a heat gun, I monitored all connections, fuses, relays, and terminals in the area while turning on more lights and fans to increase electrical usage. The bus bar and all equipment within a foot of it remained a constant temperature while the temperature of the white 6 gauge wire rose by 20 degrees in less than a minute.

Situation: The white DC 6 gauge wire continues to get hot at the terminal end on the converter with the house batteries connected, house batteries disconnected, house batteries connected with disconnect switch in either position. More lights on cause higher heat at the terminal (and along the wire). Multiple fans on cause much higher temperatures in less than one minute.

No load conditions show 13.4 to 13.6 volt output at the red and white terminals. Three bulbs burning lower it to 12.9 volts. Furnace fan drops it to 10.8 volts output.

Any more ideas?
Old 02-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

On the , Road
Clarification: In the first paragraph above....Everything in the vicinity of the bus bar INCLUDING THE 6 GAUGE WHITE WIRE remained cool during all observations. The heat was only observed at the termination to the converter board end of the white wire. Also, the red terminal temperature would sometimes rise, but not as much or as quickly as the white one.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Localized heat in an electrical circuit is generally generated by a high resistance issue. Check the connection at the point of overheating.

If you can get a clip on amp meter test to see if the current in the wire is above the rated current for that wire. If it is find there may be a down stream item that is drawing excess current. Have you checked the batteries with a hygrometer for specific gravity not just voltage. Batteries in parallel have to be matched. If unmatched they will appear to take a charge but not hold that charge for any length of time. The charging current will be higher in that condition.

I would look at the batteries first then the connection that is heating.