Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
Brent & Diana

Currently Looking...
Frostproof , Florida
Newbie’s Jitters

After months of searching, we finally sign on the dotted line for a brand new leftover 2018 Airstream Interstate EXT GT. I always wanted an RV when I retire. This is about a decade earlier than planned. Finally got Hubby on board. We will be picking it up in two weeks!

It is very exciting and yet nerve racking. Neither one of us is auto tuned... so if someone can help me clarify few things... don’t want to have buyer’s remorse😂. I believe I read some of the advice in other blogs or discussions.

1. Extended warranty: sounds like this is a waste of money.
2. So is the exterior shield and the interior protection.

Better save on money.

3. Does the coach net memberships come with airstream purchase? The dealership never offered that except a five-year membership for over $1000.
4. When we were test writing the AI, there’s some water on the galley floor. We were told this is because of condensation, after the unit has been plugged in for a while inside. I just want to make sure this is not going to be an issue since we have all the warranties.

It is getting to be very exciting. Can’t way for all the adventures ahead. Thanks in advance for all the advice. 🙏
Interair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Interair, welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your decision to enjoy your retirement with an Airstream. Yes - it’s a big commitment and one you want to go into “eyes wide open”.

I can tell you the 2019 Airstream travel trailers come with three years of CoachNet. Our 2018 Flying Cloud came with two years of CoachNet. You can contact Airstream in Jackson Center to confirm what the Interstate comes with.

Regarding the other dealer “add-ons” - you can bank that money and “self-insure” if something happens.

The water on the floor could be condensation but that sounds like a throw away answer. Perhaps other AI owners can weigh in on the possible source. You might want to search the forum or post that question on the Interstate sub-forum.

I’m retiring next May and we decided to go with a 27’ Globetrotter as our “retirement plan”. Wishing you guys all the best! And, consider joining the WBCCI and attending some rallies!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:58 AM   #3
Brent & Diana

Currently Looking...
Frostproof , Florida
Thanks for the confirmation, Makes me feel better not worrying abt the ‘warranty’ as everyone of them sounds so necessary 😂

Just briefly check the WBCCI website. WOW! does one need to join the local club/charter first?
Old 08-28-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome aboard...👍

It ain't rockit seince...don't fret-it.

A 'warrantee' on the AS stuff is a waste of money, save it for all the upgrades you will discover down the road.

I would ck with MB and research a policy from Mercedes directly. Find out what MB will NOT cover because of the AS conversion.

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interair View Post
Thanks for the confirmation, Makes me feel better not worrying abt the ‘warranty’ as everyone of them sounds so necessary 😂

Just briefly check the WBCCI website. WOW! does one need to join the local club/charter first?
When you sign up they’ll prompt you to select the local club to join. You can browse the new website and see what each are doing.

We’re looking forward to our first International Rally next year in Loveland, CO.
Good Luck and hope to see you out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF4E0A79-4307-405C-B148-39416B6666D1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	350798  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interair View Post
Thanks for the confirmation . . .
. . .

Did you see the suggestion in bold below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
. . .
I can tell you the 2019 Airstream travel trailers come with three years of CoachNet. Our 2018 Flying Cloud came with two years of CoachNet. You can contact Airstream in Jackson Center to confirm what the Interstate comes with. [emphasis added]
. . .
Jeff was reporting on CoachNet coverage for travel trailers, not for your motorized RV [recreational vehicle].

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
Brent & Diana

Currently Looking...
Frostproof , Florida
Sorry for the delay in replying... crazy hurricane preparations have consumed my weekdays. Glad the week is over and now sitting at home waiting for Dorian😱

Yes, we called Jackson Center as Jeff suggested: 3yrs Coachnet membership with brand new AI purchase!! There! We just saved $750!!

Will now find out about MB’s stuff as Bob suggested.

And will definitely revisit WBCCI website soon.

Thanks! Diana
Old 08-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Great choice! Congratulations!

Don’t get starry-eyed until you are happily camped under the stars.

Any water, anywhere it isn’t supposed to be is a concern to be diagnosed and resolved. Period. Have the dealer show you the precise resolution.

Dealer warranty doesn’t do much good when you are a thousand miles away. CoachNet may be a fit for you based upon your abilities and risk aversion.

Joining WBCCI is not “necessary”. Like any org they are made up of people... otherwise they would all be great! There are many threads on this.

However, we have enjoyed many great trips and the camaraderie as well as knowledge have been great.. for us.. WBCCI has provided a way to meet fellow Airstreamers and we are making some lifelong friends.along the way. You get out of it what you put in.. and more.. put in good and get good out. We belong to a couple different “units”.. they have different approaches to camping. One very organized, the other just says “we are camping here........ hope to see you.. make your own reservation, bring food to share..”. It is within these types of groups you find one that fits. You don’t have to wear silver.. or pink...

Also, you will find other AI owners who might go with you for the pre-signing inspection (s).. for free!!! Isn’t that a sweet idea??!!

Don’t be afraid to ask for help from others... as forums don’t always fit the broad knowledge an inspection or personal relationships provide.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
Brent & Diana

Currently Looking...
Frostproof , Florida
Sorry for not keeping up with what happened.... while waiting to pick up our unit, during the prep, the dealer detected issue with the AC unit that needed to be replaced... so here we are still waiting. Now I got a taste of what people talked abt ‘waiting’ when the unit goes back into the shop. In addition, we had extended discussions about what was promised verbally about swapping out all the batteries since the unit has been sitting on the lot since 2018. Glad to say, after multiple calls and holding our stands, the dealer finally agreed to change out the batteries with new ones. Keeping our fingers crossed that we will soon see our unit!!

« Howdy | Top | New Member »