Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2008 23' International
Currently Looking...
Cedar Falls , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to hahnstead
Why not have both?

My wife and I have a 20 ft. GT and a 27 ft. Sovereign. I LOVE the extra room in the Sov and it pulls much smoother than the single-axle GT. As far as camping, I can take either trailer to most places where we go. There always seems to be room to park my towing vehicle (2000 Tundra) wherever we are, whether it's the GT or Sov. As I often use my trailers on camping/kayaking trips, the only place(s) I won't take the Sov. are river access parks which are not considered real campgrounds. The terrain isn't conducive to double-axled longer trailers.
I'm happy to have a choice of length in my Airstreams. A man needs only one wife, but he cannot have too many Airstreams.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
OR from not RATCHETING the upper tensioner arm a 2nd time...

How do you do this?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
On a recent trip to Rocky Mountain NP, we stayed in the Timbercreek CG and this was the only site available, If I had anything longer then my 19' I would had to have parked my TV in the overflow parking and walk back. And this was not the only small campsite located in this CG. There are some even smaller than this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2917.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	93690
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
How do you do this?
-1st rachet is just after attaching the strut arms to the roller tube rod ends... usually 1-3 clicks.

and can be done standing on the ground

then the awning is RAISED to the 4th hole.

most stop at the 3rd hole, and MAY need to stand on a foot stool to get it high enough for the 4th hole.

some folks need to ADD the 'assist handles' that z/d offers to fully extend and get the 4th hole.

-2nd ratchet is now done while standing UP on the stool under the strut, usually to the 3rd-5th notch or 'clicks'...

when the awning is CLOSED try removing the ratcheting section from the strut arms and count the notches...

use as many notches (clicks) as are available when tensioning (this is also a good time to clean and LUBE the internal strut arms)

IF this is done correctly the cloth will b FULLY stretched and flat, no sag and the same height as the actual strut arms

on new awnings it takes more EFFORT to get the struts fully extended.

some of us are strong enough to get 4-5 notches/clicks or a full stretch BEFORE raising it to the 4th hole...

but most folks aren't and need to stand on a stool and do in after RAISING the awning.

also DRY lube inside the strut arms can help with the process.
________

now when lowering the awning it is important to DE-tension the struts FIRST before lowering.

after lowering the pins should pull easier, IF DE-tensioned in the raised positions.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Got it....
Thanks

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Night stand what is below the cabinet inside shelf?

I would like to mount a flash light inside the nightstand on the shelf but I do not know what is below the area?

I pulled up the parts manual but I do not see what is below it? Does anyone now if it's okay to drill and mount screws inside there?

Thanks in advance,

Lin.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I started this thread almost a year ago and finally have a 2010 27 FB Classic on order. Thanks everyone for your comments.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Congrats!
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Congratulations Bluto. Will you be going to the factory for a tour soon? There is a rally the end of this month NOVA in the terraport. It has been open to all Airstreamers who are interested. Airstream Forums - NOVA-fest Rally - Airstream Factory - Jackson Center, OH Perhaps you could join them. Either my DH or both of us may also be attending. You'll meet Airstreamers from all over Michigan Ohio and further.

Show us pictures as soon as you have them.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks Carol. I would like to go on tour while it is being made and I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to do that at this point. I don't have a mfr. date yet, but I think I'll hear this week. That would be cool to visit there during the rally so I could meet some of the folks on here, good idea!
I haven't figure out what Nova is so I'll have to read up on it and check out the link you provided.
Hope your 28'er is everything you expected. And it didn't take long for you to sell your 27. You should have a dealership, I'll bet you could make mega bucks selling these things!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I would love a dealership anyone interested in partnership look me up!

NOVA is an acronym for Northern Ohio Virtual Airstream. It is a group of Airstreamers some who have been meeting together in the area and ours in Metro Detroit regularly for years as forums get-togethers and others who will be joining them anew to start a new unit, currently provisional but have extended the invitation for Nova Fest, the terraport rally in Jackson Center, to any and all comers.

photography
Old 03-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for the info, but I just found out today, that the start build date has been set for the 15th of April so that is almost a month after the NOVA people will be there.
Not really sure if I'll head up that way during the build process, or just wait till I need the trailer tweeked after I use it a while. Seems to make more sense now that I've thought about , just to wait and go there later this year.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
You can go in June to Alumapalooza held right at JC too and meet lots more Airstreamers! The town has their festival going on during that time and there will be special AS tours I think.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...6-1;&e=620&c=1

One more month to go, you have to be very excited for spring to come!

photography

Tags
2007 classic