Old 06-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #995
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Scott, do you think you need 3 power vents? I'm getting ready to do a Safari and I think one power vent is enough. Please advise.

Roger

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #996
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Scott, do you think you need 3 power vents? I'm getting ready to do a Safari and I think one power vent is enough. Please advise.

Roger
Technically I don’t have and answer, but with 3 fans going it cools very fast, no dead spaces of heat. We sold the old hehr vents that fully paid for the 3 power vent from Vintage Trailer Supplies, and on the outside still keeping that old vintage look.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Fan_Tastic_Fan_p/vts-414.htm

toastie

Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #997
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Not sure I understand the logic behind three, but for two, there has been lots of mention of turning one fan to exhaust and the other to intake, with the result that there is significant airflow through the length of the trailer.

No? Otherwise, what's the point of being able to reverse the fan's airflow?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #998
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
As per the FF literature, you should draw the air from a cool place, the shaded side of the trailer. Having one in and one out, I would think that drawing air from the roof, off the heated aluminum, though providing flow, would not necessarily be cool.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #999
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
Not sure I understand the logic behind three, but for two, there has been lots of mention of turning one fan to exhaust and the other to intake, with the result that there is significant airflow through the length of the trailer.

No? Otherwise, what's the point of being able to reverse the fan's airflow?
I would be doubtful of the fans being able to create much of a positive pressure inside the trailer with the intake setting, and thus the driving forces for heat exchange would be no different from having a window or two open to draw air in, with the exception of temperature differences. From that perspective, I would only put one on intake if it is in fact cooler on the roof.

Just in general I actually think pulling draft from a window would be better, because it encourages good mixing of the air, while pulling from one vent and out another could allow for a shortcut air current to not even disturb certain lower parts of the trailer.

Man, now I really want to install some fans in ours. That was supposed to be a later upgrade with the solar....

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #1000
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Technically I don’t have and answer, but with 3 fans going it cools very fast, no dead spaces of heat. We sold the old hehr vents that fully paid for the 3 power vent from Vintage Trailer Supplies, and on the outside still keeping that old vintage look.
Yep, I have the VTS version of the Fantastic Fan and Vent in Safari #1 (but it will be another year before that one is on the road). I did use both my power vents in the Sovereign last week in Albuquerque, because it was very warm, but at night they froze me. I think I'm going to go for one and put it in the furthest aft vent opening (so it won't pull any bathroom vapors the length of the trailer). I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to cover over the middle vent or just install a passive one there.

I always use the Fantastic Fan on "out." I find the "in/out" switch basically useless.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #1001
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Finally found the perfect step, with going with a straight axle that raised the trailer about 3”, (and very happy that I did) plus having no step to begin with, found the perfect step. Can have both arms filled with stuff and have no problem getting up or down without using the grap handle, the step is rated for 800lbs.

Cover Valet Step. Cover Valet Hot Tub Step. Hot Tub Step. Spa Step. Spa Side Step.

toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	161717   Click image for larger version

Name:	step2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	161718  

Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #1002
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
That's a very fancy step, sir! Where do you store it when not in use?

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 06-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #1003
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
That's a very fancy step, sir! Where do you store it when not in use?
Store them inside.....toastie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	step5.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	161794   Click image for larger version

Name:	step6.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	161795  

Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #1004
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Ah touché. I guess that makes sense given how much taller yours is. Since mine is a lowrider and I am tall and long limbed, I only got a step for ease in campgrounds for others, but I still want to be able to get in without pulling it out every time. So I naturally and naively assumed you were doing the same and storing it.

I've gotten a heavy steel generic one for now, but I'm looking for ideas to make a custom one.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #1005
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
That step is perfect on your Safari. Most RV steps are just a single platform that is too low after you put on a new Axle.That is an actual step! That second step platform gets you up higher. No more giant leap to get into the trailer. I think I'm gonna buy one because I have been looking for a solution also.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #1006
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Almost done with the mock-up design stage, big change's will come to a end and will get more detailed. Designed the dinette cushions today, the brown tape represent the back cushions. The dinette will turn into a 54"x 72" bed. The back of the dinette will be a shoe rack for 10 pairs.

toastie
Hi Toastie,

I know you're way past this & finished with your sweet trailer! I have a question about your design of the table/bed. Did you double up the 3/4" plywood on the seats so the table sits flush with the seats? That's what the picture looks like on this post that I quoted. It makes sense to me. I've looked at the David Winnick book & he has the table set on top of the benches, which would leave a 3/4" bump in the bed. I'm not sure if one would notice that under 4-5" of foam, but I'm wondering if that's what you did. Obviously, I'm working on my dinette! Thanks for all your great ideas!!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #1007
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Hi Toastie,

I know you're way past this & finished with your sweet trailer! I have a question about your design of the table/bed. Did you double up the 3/4" plywood on the seats so the table sits flush with the seats? That's what the picture looks like on this post that I quoted. It makes sense to me. I've looked at the David Winnick book & he has the table set on top of the benches, which would leave a 3/4" bump in the bed. I'm not sure if one would notice that under 4-5" of foam, but I'm wondering if that's what you did. Obviously, I'm working on my dinette! Thanks for all your great ideas!!!
Thanks Becky

You can see that the bottom of table I added 1" x 3" for table top support and also to lock in the table in when making the bed, to keep it from sliding off. Then the back of the seat folds down to make everything flush, added 3/8” plywood behind the part that folds down..............hope this helps

toastie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	164902   Click image for larger version

Name:	t2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	164903  

Name:	t3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	164904  
Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #1008
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Aaaahhhh! Makes perfect sense now! That's a great idea to fold down the back for a flush bed. I have the kind of table hardware for one that attaches to the wall & the leg flips up. But I'm sure it could work in basically the same way. Now a few more things for the brain to work out! Thanks again, Toastie!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1955 safari, floor, redo