Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2008, 04:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
There is simply no comparison between a product like POR-15 and Rustoleum. The paint is a relatively cheap consumer product that doesn't really perform well as a paint. It's fine for painting some household item you want to keep for a couple more years, but it's not simply not suitable for restoration purposes.

If you are looking to spend less money, you might look into using industrial quality products like a penetrating sealer to address the rust, plus a suitable topcoat. I've had really good experiences with Devoe (ICI) products in an outdoor setting. However, this would take considerably more time than brushing on a coat of POR-15, and proper paint products are not cheap either.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
a few things out of me...
How are you going to put your floor back with the belly pan attached? It is not possible to bolt the channel and floor with it in place. Drop it now and make your job a lot easier for treating the frame, running your waste lines, and insulating.
Why spend all the time taking it down to the frame, if you are not going to treat the frame properly? I think Distantdrummer gave some of the best advice I have seen in a long time... use a rust converter. I used the Eastwood rust converter. It is a two part product that is sold in a kit. This stuff was very easy to apply with a spray bottle and brush to work it where I could not spray. It turned the all the facial rust black and gave a good surface for Eastwood Co. - Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Black Aerosol 16 oz. I used the black on the frame and silver where it can be seen. The spray cans make it very easy and two cans will do half of an Overlander frame with a lot left over.
If you do go the POR15 route, be advised that there are two steps of prep before the product is applied. No one ever seems to mention those two steps when they say they used the POR15. Sure hope they did them, for it would be a waste to go to all this to cut corners.
Yes vintage trailer supply is a great outfit to deal with. They also give back a lot to the community too. Thank you Steve.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
When I finsihed recoating my a-frame two years ago with POR-15 (clear, I overcoated with the Airstream grey), I had about 25% left over. So I slapped it on a pair of shovels that had been left out and were pretty nasty. No prep except knocking the big scales off with a wire brush.

Being clear, they still look pretty nasty but the POR-15 is hilding up great and the rust has been stopped.

The A-frame still lokks good as well...

I vote with all whos urgerd you to use POR-15.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
I used the POR 15 . I had the belly down and rinsed off the metal ready with water then air dried it before putting on the 15 .Just to be safe I also painted the frame with rustoleum .
My only complaint about the POR is that it seems that once the can is opened it all has to be used ,I followed the direction about closing the can with plastic wrap .When I went to use it again in the AM it was hard as a rock .
I would also get their solvent .Once you get that stuff on you ,you better get it off .You will be wearing it for a week or two
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
tatoos

I agree with the above posts. If you take the effort to exspose the frame you should take the extra effort and money to preserve it as best you can. I am doing a shell off restoration. I had the frame sand blasted, then did additional structural work including adding tank cavities. I then treated all the steel with -the must for rust- rust inhibitor/remover (really good product). Then painted x2 with por 15. I second getting 2 different colors as it makes the second coat easier. Also por 15 will give you a several day tatoo if it gets on your skin. If you get the por 15 solvent and use it quickly it will remove the por 15. Eastwood, as Frank says, also has some really good products for frame treatment. Ed
n2batr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
If it's worth doing right then, it's worth doing only once..POR15 is the best way to go. Cost more than most other stuff but last for yrs more~ Having said that, it's your money and your A/S..Do what works for you.
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
To the poster who commented about the fancy preparation required for POR-15:

Please note that manufacturer does not know if you are treating metal in a saltwater boat's bilge, coating a V-8 motor or painting a park bench so of course they will spell out the preparation required for the most adverse painting scenario.

For Airstream refurbishing it is a great choice.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #28
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Don't be intimidated by POR-15 instructions...it is no big deal. Not much different than using paint.
Follow the instructions you'll be all set.

Oh yeah-buy a little more than you need. Once you get rolling is is better to finish the whole job...
Buy a bunny suit too...

Bill
Old 05-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer
To the poster who commented about the fancy preparation required for POR-15:

Please note that manufacturer does not know if you are treating metal in a saltwater boat's bilge, coating a V-8 motor or painting a park bench so of course they will spell out the preparation required for the most adverse painting scenario.

For Airstream refurbishing it is a great choice.
Actually if you read the label you will see that you are supposed to use Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies! and then Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies! and then two coats of POR 15 and then Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies! because the POR 15 cannot be exposed to UV light. That is what you are supposed to do. If you choose to simplify it it to two coats, that is your business.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Thumbs up Master Series

Rustoleum will never do what POR 15 can do.

Another alternative that I have used and have had very good results with is a product called MASTER SERIES

MasterSeriesCT Coating Line Rust Prevention - MasterSeriesCT
MasterSeriesCT Coating Line Rust Prevention - Product Info

POR 15 is UV sensitive, Master Series is not. ( silver )
It can be painted over with any color.

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #31
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstream
Ken, My AS will reside in Indiana most of the time. Would you think I could get away with rustoleum here? Did you use spray Rustoleum for Heavy Rust?
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! Z.
If you're looking to "get away with" doing it right, might I sugest this product.

Goes on easy
No messy clean-up
NEW easy dip-well bottle
Affordable
Comes in a lovly shade of BROWN

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shinola2jupg.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	60120  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:19 AM   #32
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large

S H I N O L A

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #33
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I know this has probably been covered before, but refresh me: what about parts that still have paint on them? for example, the upper parts of most of my x-members look perfectly fine...still have the original paint, but the lower parts (where the insulation held the water against them) is all rusty. Do you have to strip all that paint, then metal-ready it? or can you POR right over it?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #34
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Basically just clean it up. I sandblasted the entire frame, but you don't have to do that. The POR website explains it pretty well.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream
If you're looking to "get away with" doing it right, might I sugest this product.

Goes on easy
No messy clean-up
NEW easy dip-well bottle
Affordable
Comes in a lovly shade of BROWN

Oh, so that is what Shinola is, it now is becoming clearer.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote