Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #181
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
I may have asked before, but can't search out my post or answer, so here goes again:

Does anyone know about frame problems on the International AS models? I have one and think my frame is still okay. Is the CCD frame any different than that on the AS? I thought they would be the same frame. If the frames are the same on the two models, why don't we hear of complaints from other International AS customers?

And, why is the frame problem always on the curb side of the CCD?

Fortunately, I don't see any problems on my frame, but I do wonder with all the discussion going on.
The frames are probably the same only ccd models have an open interior design on the curbside. The streetside is reinforced by lower cabinets,stove,fridge. Curbside is open with no structure. A wimpy dinette flapping in the breeze is all there is. And even that is held in with screws that are too short and aluminum rivets.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #182
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
I may have asked before, but can't search out my post or answer, so here goes again:

Does anyone know about frame problems on the International AS models? I have one and think my frame is still okay. Is the CCD frame any different than that on the AS? I thought they would be the same frame. If the frames are the same on the two models, why don't we hear of complaints from other International AS customers?

And, why is the frame problem always on the curb side of the CCD?

Fortunately, I don't see any problems on my frame, but I do wonder with all the discussion going on.
I agree with Zedex but if your B & G tanks are behind the rear axel, and the frames are the same, the frames will buckle. Keep your tanks empty.
Airstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #183
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Don and Zedex,

My last six digits of my 2004 are: 515825

I had my frame inspected in May and no cracks were found. I have low mileage on it, tow with an '97 F-150 and no water in the tanks.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #184
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle View Post
Don and Zedex,

My last six digits of my 2004 are: 515825

I had my frame inspected in May and no cracks were found. I have low mileage on it, tow with an '97 F-150 and no water in the tanks.
Smart, one of the AS tech's implied that ANY water/material in the black tank would put excess stress on the back of the frame while towing. I also have the grey empty but do keep fresh water in the centerline fresh water tank to keep the center of gravity of the trailer low while towing.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #185
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
Well. I talked to Jim today at AS. He is sending me a kit to beef up my outriggers on my 04. I will put em in when its not -17C outside.
The cost of the replacement outriggers is minimal compared to the labor to put them on. The factory payed to have mine put on. If you plan on doing it yourself you had better have a lot of time and skill. And use a MIG or TRIG welder.
Good luck.
dongubrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #186
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Smart, one of the AS tech's implied that ANY water/material in the black tank would put excess stress on the back of the frame while towing. I also have the grey empty but do keep fresh water in the centerline fresh water tank to keep the center of gravity of the trailer low while towing.
Good advise. And NO bumper stickers on the rear bumper either. Every little bit helps.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #187
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
I have cracks (insert obvious joke here even tho I am not laughing). What is my next step? Its not as if I can go running to the factory in Ohio.

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #188
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
I have cracks (insert obvious joke here even tho I am not laughing). What is my next step? Its not as if I can go running to the factory in Ohio.
You can ask AS for the frame stiffining kit - it should be delivered free to you, they know there is an issue. They may ask for photos for proof. You will then be on the hook for the welding unless you can talk them into having a local AS dealer/shop do the work and bill them. There are varying success stories out there on having them help out with the tab.

No laughing matter, frame cracks are a pain - with the sub-floor right there, it's hard not to burn and damage the floor underlayment and floor itself. Plus, you just don't weld them on in any old fashion - there is a need for caution not to weaken your frame rails when the heat is applied.

Best of luck.
Mike
Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #189
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
You can ask AS for the frame stiffining kit - it should be delivered free to you, they know there is an issue. They may ask for photos for proof. You will then be on the hook for the welding unless you can talk them into having a local AS dealer/shop do the work and bill them. There are varying success stories out there on having them help out with the tab.

No laughing matter, frame cracks are a pain - with the sub-floor right there, it's hard not to burn and damage the floor underlayment and floor itself. Plus, you just don't weld them on in any old fashion - there is a need for caution not to weaken your frame rails when the heat is applied.

Best of luck.
Mike
Mike, that is good advice. As you know, I have been there-done that. I feel sorry for her. I think she is a full timer too.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #190
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
Mike, that is good advice. As you know, I have been there-done that. I feel sorry for her. I think she is a full timer too.
I'm not a full timer yet but I've been known to spend months at a time on the road in my Airstream. This issue seriously bums me out but thanks to all of you I know about the problem and can nip it before it gets too bad. Right now it looks as tho its the outriggers that have cracks not the frame itself. Going to take "Lucy" to my local rv repair dude, have the wheel bearings packed, while the tires are off I can get a better look and take the pics to send to Airstream. I sincerely hope that Airstream steps up and stands behind their product. I mean after all I love my silver pod so much I have a freakin' Airstream tattoo!

~Julianne

2003 International CCD
Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #191
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
I'm not a full timer yet but I've been known to spend months at a time on the road in my Airstream. This issue seriously bums me out but thanks to all of you I know about the problem and can nip it before it gets too bad. Right now it looks as tho its the outriggers that have cracks not the frame itself. Going to take "Lucy" to my local rv repair dude, have the wheel bearings packed, while the tires are off I can get a better look and take the pics to send to Airstream. I sincerely hope that Airstream steps up and stands behind their product. I mean after all I love my silver pod so much I have a freakin' Airstream tattoo!

~Julianne
Remember i invited you to visit me at NTAC anytime. I want to see if that tattoo is real!
Your plan to take it to a dealer is good but let me say this:
1. the reason the outriggers failed is because the frame bent rear of the axle. That put added strain on the outriggers and they couldn't take it.
2. You might consider having the factory do the repairs. They will charge you their standard labor rate but at least they have done this before, they know how to do it right and they do good quality work. When I had mine done it was a local airstream dealer and they botched it. Also it would be nice to take it to the source and rub their nose in it.
I think you have my e-mail address so feel free to contact me there and I can tell you things I can't on this media.
Good luck.
Don
Old 12-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #192
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Frame inspected today and it isn't pretty

The picture are not great because the Tech was holding his flashlight on the cracks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame cracks 003.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	116745   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame cracks 004.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	116746  

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame cracks 005.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	116747   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame cracks 006.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	116748  

2003 International CCD
Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #193
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
By the way my '03 only has 18,700 miles on it. I have always towed correctly, have not done any 'off roading' and have taken extremely good care of my trailer. I am the original owner and have all the paper work for everything that has ever been done. I am beyond upset, concerned and freaked out. It's not as if I can cruise to Ohio and have the factory take care of this and so far in my research there isn't an Airstream Dealer near me with a good reputation. If someone knows of a place in Arizona where I can take my trailer to have her repaired and have peace of mind please let me know ASAP. Obviously I spent a lot of money on my Airstream and was planning on a long and happy future of traveling. I feel like someone punched me in the stomache and walked away laughing.

2003 International CCD
Old 12-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #194
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Have you talked with Airstream public relations? Have you gone above the shop level at Airstream and asked for help? The shop manager will tow the company line on this ask for his boss. I can understand your grief - I had the same feelings about my investment. You have some options as I stated before, they have on ocassion paid for repairs on older units, in shops other than a AS certified shop - this is rare but it has happened. Get them - in writing (email, snail mail, how ever) to respond to your complaint. If you call, keep a log, write names down, keep at it. They will send the kit I mentioned before to stiffen your frame and outriggers, call them for it. The man I got some relief on my bill for my floor repair - and it was minor - was Dave Schuemann (sp?) but he would listen. Call and ask for him AFTER going through the painfull calls to Chris and his boss (a name I do not like to mention) but Dave is above them (department head ?) BUT he will ask if you talked to the shop people first. There is a company system to keep people from flooding upper management with questions.

Keep up the calls. BTW - I know they read this - TOO BAD.

PM and we can talk - you won't like what I have to say. I can pass on my cell number. BTW the frame design and PRODUCTION SYSTEM is flawed, they have admitted such with the stiffining kit.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would call Jackson and ask for the correct address for Bob Wheeler, President of Airstream Inc. and Richard E Riegel Chief Operating Officer, it was under his so called successful watch that your unit was made. I would write them directly explaining your problem and including the URL for this thread. They will do nothing until they begin to see it effecting future sales.

Additionally I would copy the Officers of Thor Corp, there names and address can be found on this page.
THO Profile | Thor Industries, Inc. Common St Stock - Yahoo! Finance

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #196
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Airstray in Shelton, WA.

Quote:
By the way my '03 only has 18,700 miles on it. I have always towed correctly, have not done any 'off roading' and have taken extremely good care of my trailer. I am the original owner and have all the paper work for everything that has ever been done. I am beyond upset, concerned and freaked out. It's not as if I can cruise to Ohio and have the factory take care of this and so far in my research there isn't an Airstream Dealer near me with a good reputation. If someone knows of a place in Arizona where I can take my trailer to have her repaired and have peace of mind please let me know ASAP. Obviously I spent a lot of money on my Airstream and was planning on a long and happy future of traveling. I feel like someone punched me in the stomache and walked away laughing.
Julianne, Unfortunately, no matter what repairs we have done, none of us will ever have peace of mind or faith in Airstream. Jim
Old 12-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #197
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
MT tanks!!!!!

Quote:
Empty tanks is good advise for many reasons; stress on the towed as well as towing vehicle, helps with anti-sway, etc, etc, etc. but I don't give a dam- what anyone says. The frame under ANY vehicle should be engineered, constructed and tested to, at least double the required strength. What would happen if Ford, GM or Chrysler required us to only put 10 gal. of fuel in or cars? Airstray
Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #198
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Bon Bons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstray View Post
Julianne, Unfortunately, no matter what repairs we have done, none of us will ever have peace of mind or faith in Airstream. Jim
Great, I'll give up the dream and sit around my house, watch tv and eat bon-bons. I DON'T THINK SO! I've invested way too much into the Airstream way of life.

2003 International CCD
Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #199
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
You are being ...... and not even being .....
My first frame failure was much worse than your pics show. I think you can at least tow yours. Mine was a complete collapse and untowable. Do not plan on any long trips right now. If you want to contact the factory and deal with them, I can help. Contact me on my e-mail address since this is being monitored by Airstream.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
I am in contact with Airstream and working on getting this resolved. Thanks.

2003 International CCD