Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Hillsboro , Texas
Frame Failure - 22 foot International

i have a 2003 22' international airstream that i am having serious frame problems. the frame has cracked and outriggers have saged. if anybody else is having similar problems please contact me at [removed by moderator. please use PM system or post to this thread].
dongubrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Wow! And I complained when my frame sagged in the rear after 40 years! I can't believe a trailer that new, especially one only 22 feet long would have frame troubles already. Sorry to hear about that.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Is it a rear kitchen model?

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
i have a 2003 22' international airstream that i am having serious frame problems. the frame has cracked and outriggers have saged. if anybody else is having similar problems please contact me at [removed by moderator. please use PM system or post to this thread].
Early frame failures are usually due to grossly out of balance running gear, or, towing with a super heavy duty tow vehicle and an excessively rated hitch bars, or a combination of those.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
broken frame

tnx andy, there is more to the story however. but first, i tow with a 3/4 ton tundra and never exceed 55mph.
this is my second frame, the first one cracked and was untowable, they hauled it back to the factory and put a new frame on it. the new frame cracked at all of the outriger points. they welded suports on the outrigers. now the frame has cracked again just behind the rear axial. it this point it is towable. there is more but i have to be careful what i say here.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Is it a rear kitchen model?
no, rear bath.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Don and welcome.

Not one but two frame failures? It sounds like your rig is well matched? There must be more to the story as you indicate by being careful what you say. Everyone reading this is trying to apply simple logic as we try to imagine what is happening to your trailer but without details I can only speculate that some outside influence is damaging the frame. Its hard to believe that the factory is just not getting this right on such a new unit. Hmmm.
Let us know how we may be able to help. There is a wealth of knowledge here, people far sharper than me.. that you can tap into.

Good luck.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
need some pix!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
I believe our first AS was the same model you describe. We had no issues with the frame. Below is the floorplan of the one we had.
Attached Images

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

How many miles do you have on it? Where do you travel off road or all blacktop?
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I believe this is a well documented issue for this specific model. I also believe Airstream has a frame kit for this model because of this issue.

I would contact the factory. I recall seeing this exact same thing on another identical model trailer and seem to recall them saying something about a frame kit.

I believe this issue was later addressed with the newer 23' model.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
the frame failure seems to be wide spread as i am hearing from many 22' ccd owners all having the same problem. if it is a driving problem then we are all driving the same. i tow with a 1/2 ton and never exeed 55 mph. however i do have a lot of miles on this tr but no more than other airstreams trs. it is just this model that has a poor design. the factory has been helpfull in the past but now seems to want to blame me or cop out with the waranty statement. ''it is out of waranty''.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
o, the frame kit. i think you are refering to a kit to beaf up the outrigers. i have that kit on mine and it did little good. the outrigers are still saging.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
frame falure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
How many miles do you have on it? Where do you travel off road or all blacktop?
i may have 40,000 on this frame. almost all on black top. i do not have 4x4 so off road is limited.
don
Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
What kind of 'frame failure' are we talking about here?
Is the bumper resting on the ground?
Severely 'oil-canned' skin?
Seam separation?

How can anyone speculate without actually seeing what's going on?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
How can anyone speculate without actually seeing what's going on?

Ah, yes. That's all we can do, is speculate. I think it has metal-eating termites,
or maybe it was from that rock band we loaned it to

I couldn't resist. there isn't much that can be said for the frame issues without seeing some pics. I can't imagine why it would be a problem to discuss what is really going on here, but there must be a good reason, right?
If the frame is as bad as it sounds, and the rig was handled gently, then there must be serious flaws with the design or assembly of it. The fact that it was replaced once doesn't mean that the problem was fixed. It may have the same type frame that was on it originally. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the TV and set-up are to blame as well. even a well matched trailer and TV can be used wrong. I would DEFINITLY go back to Airstream and have the problem diagnosed by them, AND also go to an independent repair facility that is familiar with Airstreams for their take on the problem. Airstream will not be willing to call it a flaw, especially after they already replaced the frame once. I'm sure they would like you to go away now. I'm guessing that they probably replaced the frame but never checked out the TV and set-up that DON GUBRUD used with it. For the type and amount of damage described I think the set-up is suspect above all. It should take quite a pounding to bend and break a frame member, especially an outrigger.
I have a 45 year old trailer, and the frame looks great. It was never repaired or even looked at in all that time and yet it is still doing its thing down there, somewhere. I can't believe how many people are having problems with the newer trailers. I've read about frame failures, rotten floors, plumbing disasters, corrosion, and major towing problems just to name a few. It confirms my belief that vintage is the best way to enjoy the trailer lifestyle. Newer definitly does not mean better in this case.
Good luck
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
i can't figure out how to insert pics, i'm not very good at this, i'm to old [75].
i want to thank everybody for all of your help and support.
i have learned a bit here,
there are many other 22' owners with the same problem and unfortunately many more who will.
the factory will help to some degree but ultimately we own the problem.
be very careful when you buy the first of a new model or design, you are the one who will be doing the field testing.

just a little more background here. i have been towing for over 10yrs with many trailers and being retired i have the time to put on a lot of miles, well over 100,000.
the tow setups i have used are very common [ 1/2 ton tundra with a reese strait-line hitch ]. i keep my fresh water tank almost full and grey and black empty. no added weight inside to speak of, just a couple of bottles of fine scotch whiskey. with all of my travels i have never had a major failure, the most serious being blown tires ... except now. and it has to be on an airstream, the best you can buy.
i have been in contact with the factory [wont name who] and as yet i have had little or no help. i'm just told that the trailer is out of warranty. i'll let you all know if they come thru and help and i'll keep you all informed of any fixes or additional problems that may come up.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Didn't Airstreams used to have some kind of Lifetime warranty for the original owner? Anyway, I think your frame failure is a result of covering the trailer with a light-weight cover, which are well known here to ruin Airstreams. ;-) Seriously though, good luck with this!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Anyway, I think your frame failure is a result of covering the trailer with a light-weight cover, which are well known here to ruin Airstreams. ;-)

look what it's done to this one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5390.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	75418  
Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Hard to tell if the damage is from a cover, or from unbalanced running gear. Either way, a rock-guard would have saved that expensive front wing window.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote