Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Cool Ideas for finding an AS

I have been looking for an airstream. I am not a rich person, so I am looking for a good deal. I know it is out there.

I have looked on craigslist and ebay. I was wondering what ideas people have other than the internet route. What sort of listings should I look at?

Also tell me your story how you got your airstream.

The last thread I put up, someone name riche rich was real condescending because I said I didn't have much money and was looking for a deal. Please don't be rude.
Undrwaterair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The key to my success usually involves three things.

1. Patience – Deals don’t come around very often.
2. Timing – It really is everything.
3. Luck – Sometimes I stumble on something through a casual conversation, or observation.

There are lots of units on the market. The “Deals” get snapped up quick. The key for me is having a thorough understanding of the age, condition, and model(s) of what I am looking for, and a strict budget. The key to happy ownership (I’m talking vintage units) for me is understanding that Airstreams are like other brands…(boy, that comment is blasphemous) in the sense that they too require maintenance, and repair. If a unit is listed at a low price, it usually means that there is a fair amount of work, restoration, or renovation required.

We're all in search of the "Deal", but there are'nt but so many 1962 Airstreams out there that have spent the last 40 years sitting in a barn somewhere. Note to readers of this post. If there are I can be reached at 800-123-4567...Call Me Anytime!!!

I’ve had some luck approaching owners of seldom used units, ie..Sitting out in the pasture. There’s a sweet Argosy 3 miles from my house being used as a feed storage container. Word of mouth is always good, and of course there is Craigslist. Don’t hesitate to look outside of your local area. You can do national searches on Craigslist, and there are volunteer members on the Forum that do pre-purchase inspections.

Above all don’t get discouraged, or put off by comments. The trouble with written comments is that they can be interpreted more than one way, as comments are often mis-construed. So don't take it personally, and if there is a compellng need to address the issue, send a PM to resolve any mis-understandings. Trust me, I know about this one.
Best of Luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:36 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
Thanks Kevin. I hope I can find something good. I want something that just has a good shell, and I will renovate or restore it.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Hi undrwaterair and welcome to the forums. You didn't say what you are looking for or if you have a tow vehicle yet. The air classifieds on this site offer trailers by members and there are some deals. If you have a tow vehicle, try to get a trailer that it can tow safely. Good luck in your search.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
I am looking into getting a F 250. I am getting a truck with a tow capacity of at least 6000 lbs. So I don't think I will have a problem. The plan is to get a diesel truck and convert it so I can use waste vegetable oil, but that is another forum.

I want an airstream of 18-25. I would prefer a bambi 18 ft. But it seems like those are more rare so a globetrotter or Safari or something similar.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrwaterair View Post
I am looking into getting a F 250. I am getting a truck with a tow capacity of at least 6000 lbs. So I don't think I will have a problem. The plan is to get a diesel truck and convert it so I can use waste vegetable oil, but that is another forum.

I want an airstream of 18-25. I would prefer a bambi 18 ft. But it seems like those are more rare so a globetrotter or Safari or something similar.
As usual - this forum has been a tremendous form of information for me. Before here, I hadn't really considered how such a conversion (diesel to veggie oil) was implemented. But, there was a fairly recent discussion here about it and the pro's and con's --- especially for tow vehicles. I was a real interesting read and had some good points that were specific to using the vehicle for towing. It might be useful for you.

Good luck finding you *deal*. Some folks have been pretty creative in their remodel choices and made a good shell work for them! Unfortunately the few AS trailers that I've seen in pastures with a For Sale sign on them were CRAZY over-priced. I'd have some info in-hand about the realistic value if & when you approach a seller like this ....

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrwaterair View Post

We found ours by word of mouth. We are in the old car hobby and mentioned at one of our monthly meeting that we were looking for a small vintage airstream

One member told us about one that was sitting not far from us, actually about 6 miles, I went to the mans door and knocked, the rest is history.

Also if you are looking for 18-25 footers, a 1/2 ton pickup that is properly equipped for towing will tow them just fine. As Inland Andy is fond of saying "AIrstreams like a soft ride". You can shake a airstream apart if they are towed with an oversized truck.

Also read, read and read some more. This forum is a fountain of knowledge. Some of us have documented our rebuilts and restorations, the two are entirely different, Figure out if you want to restore, much more money and time, or rebuild, just are much time and money for some, less for others on a budget.

We bought an 72 tradewind, which is a 25 footer project for $3,000.00 so far our rebuild is at about $8,000.00 PLUS the cost of the airstream. We had set an budget of 10,000.00 for the rebuild and we are almost finsihed, you can check out our project by going to the Tradewind section and clicking on the 70 -76 models and going to the thread titled "Annette's Folley"

Lastly, tell us what you want to spend for a project, then we all can keep an eye open for one. How far do you want to travel to get your trailer? They are out there you just have to keep looking.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
Dear Underwaterair,

I have seen some AS for sale in my town, but have not stopped to check the price or condition. I will do that today and post some images. On the veggie oil side. I drive an F250 WVO conversion and love it. I have had no problems with the vehicle. Before you spend the money on the conversion make sure you have your wvo source in place. There is a good video at this address regarding oil Welcome to Golden Fuel Systems! - HOME
Good Luck,

Gary
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
You guys are rock stars. Thanks for the help.

I have already looked at different fuel systems, and I have decided on the golden fuel systems. Great minds think alike.

I want to initially spend 1-4 K on the airstream, and then rebuild it for 5-8. I am moving full time into this, and I will be moving my airstream long distances at least twice a year, from Jackson Hole, Wy to California coast. I am going back to my old job as a liftee.

I will travel all over the country for the AS.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Ok I will keep my eyes open in this neck of the woods for you.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #11

1969 27' Overlander
Granite Falls , Washington
I was just in Los Barriles Mexico fishing and saw at least 12 older units ranging from small to large sitting but due to my lack of speaking the local lingo I could make any deals
the weather is real dry down their so any find would be in goos shape I would think

and on the Baha no swine flu

but this fishing was great.
llbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
I am not worried about swine flu, monkey pox is another story.

I might have to make a trip south of the border.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Patience

We bought ours through the Airforums classified.

Kevin's quote above is probably the best advice:

Quote:
1. Patience – Deals don’t come around very often.
2. Timing – It really is everything.
3. Luck – Sometimes I stumble on something through a casual conversation, or observation.

We had made several offers on other units. The one we got was being sold by a big motorhome dealer in Atlanta who took it as a trade-in. They wanted it off their lot. Based on prices at the time, and our unsuccessful offers, we felt we bought it about 20% below market.

We shopped for about 6 months. We were in the right place at the right time because we were patient and looked EVERY DAY at multiple used-RV sites.

Hang in there - you'll find your deal. Then, all the money you saved on the intial purchase you will blow on upgrades and renovation!!!

This is certainly a good time to buy.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Spearfish , South Dakota
Some friends of ours have a road-ready 25' 1972 Tradwind (I think) that's in beautiful condition. I have been in it and I can attest that it's nice. If you are in Jackson, I'm not that far from you, in Spearfish, SD. The trailer is in Whitewood, only 11 miles from here.

The price is a bit above your range (they're asking $6000) but there is basically no restoration involved so there would be little cost later.

Feel free to contact me if you are interested. I'll get you in touch or take photos or whatever.

Bob
Ketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
As said already-- patience---timming---luck, i think timming and luck go hand in hand.
It took me aprox 10 months (patience) to find mine. Ebay is ok, however no guarantee you will win the bid. I found mine on craigslist. Timining, it posted that day, Luck, I was the first one there, gave my offer, deal made. Also if money is an issue, a restoration project can be more costly in the long run, than a well maintained unit that doesn't need alot of work. One mans opnion.
Goog Luck!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
If you are looking in the classifieds you are competing with others for the same trailer, if you PLACE a classified ad you are fishing for one that has not been advertised yet! My brother-in-law is looking - here's an ad I placed for him:
1960's to early 1980's Airstream trailer wanted - Saskatoon Cars & Vehicles - Kijiji Saskatoon
He's getting calls, just not the right trailer has come along yet. Try kijiji, craigslist, and other online sources, want ads in newspapers and don't forget grocery store bulletin boards, etc.. You never know where a tip might come from...

Also, have your money ready, know your price range, educate yourself about the Airstream values in your area, and have someone knowledgable look over the trailer before you buy unless you are confident in your own abilities.

Good luck!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Ideas for finding an AS

My last Airstream (actually Argosy) found me for lack of a better descriptor. I had admired it at the International Rally in Sioux Falls, SD, and asked the owner to contact me if he ever decided to sell. About two years later, I received the call that he had purchased a larger Airstream and was ready to sell -- within short order, the Minuet was in my driveway. Word of mouth often will help -- mention your search at any club or group activity you attend as you never know who might know of an Airstream searching for a new owner.

You might also check on the classified that often appear in the various WBCCI Unit Newsletters posted on the club website. Often, if the coach belonged to a member who is retiring from travel the matching tow vehicle may be offered as a package -- these coaches and/or packages are often meticulously maintained. You can also try the WBCCI Classifieds for leads on coaches.

Check the trader and similar "free" publications in your area. I found my first Airstream -- my '64 Overlander using this method in 1995. Don't forget your local newspaper. Depending upon the region, you may find that an auction may be part of settling many estates -- if so, periodically, I have seen Airstreams listed on the list of items to be sold.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Thanks for all the great tips. I think this will be a long and arduous road to finding the right AS. But god willing I will find the perfect one.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I'm happy to see that others also suggest pasture peering and boneing up on airstream knowledge.take no offense mr undrwaterair,there are no perfect ones.stick around ,get your hands dirty,lighten up and it will not be a long and arduous road.you are off to a good start.pick up a copy of The Long Long Trailer. it is a comedy about the common mistakes new dudes make.once again wecome to the site.I know ,I spelled welcome wrong.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #20

Currently Looking...
I already know a lot about AS, I was asking for tips about finding one. Not your opinion.

Tags
cheap deal, ebay, right price, buying