Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #1

Help Finding Old Airstream

Hi,
The short story is this: I am looking for my Grandparents old Airstream. It had the numbers "24256" on the front and was a 1972 Sovereign 31 footer.

Long story: My grandfather bought this trailer new in 1973, and when I was a kid my grandparents lived in this for several years.

I belive that they were WBCCI members and that the number "24256" was their registration number during the years they owned this. I believe they sold this in the late 1970's, perhaps around 1977.

I have tried to look up this number on the WBCCI website, but can not seem to find where this is listed if at all. Also it sounds like the numbers do not stay with the vehicle, but with the people that register the trailer.

I have many fond memories of spending time with my grandparents in this trailer. My grandmother has since passed, and my grandfather is now 90 years old.
Perhaps I am just sentimental, but I would really like to know where this trailer is now.

Has anyone out there gone through the process of trying to find a trailer like me? Any tips?
Many thanks!
--Nick
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Keep looking...

Joining this forum was a good start.. As a member, you could jump to special forum section on Sovereigns and 1972's and keep looking there... (See http://www.airforums.com/forum...play.php?f=185 )

That 5 digit number was the WBCCI Membership number, and even if not current, manyu older trailers either have the numbers or shadows of former vinyl numbers present.

You could also write the WBCCI at their offices in Ohio at Airstream Factory PO Box 612, Jackson Center, OH 45334) and see if they'd research old records for buyer names. Might even have VIN number associated with original member # which could help if new member using with new WBCCI numbers...

One additional option is to check with region or local unit (chapter) as often trailers stay in the area where they start, rather than move around the country... (though e-Bay and internet and other tools have made used Airstreams more of a national market these days...)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
Looking for Specific Airstream

Nick:

Some ideas - take them for what they are worth:

1) Post an add in the Blue Beret. Maybe someone will recognize their unit.

2) Check with your local motor vehicle departments - see if they have a copy of the title or registrations in their archieves. When the trailer was registered they likely recorded the Serial # which would have survived these years.

3) If your grandparents have the same insurance agent, he/she may have it in their records.

4) See if you have any old photographs of your grandparents standing near the entry. Airstreams had their serial numbers on the left side of the entry door. Perhaps you could have the photo enhanced and find the serial number that way.

My Bambi has faded numbers from the previous owner. I don't know if I could make them out clearly, if I wanted to. The WBCCI numbers are assigned at random based on individual preference. If your membership lapses, you lose your number. When you rejoin, you get a different one.

Best of Luck to you,

Sharon
63 Bambi
DFW, Texas
SharonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Help Finding Old Airstream

Greetings Nick!

A long-shot, but something that might just allow the current owner of your grandparents coach to key in on its history is something unique that your grandparents may have added (or changed) during their ownership. There were ghost numbers from three separate owners on my coach so that wasn't much help, but what identified it as the coach that my family's friends had purchased new were the curtains that they had made and installed just prior to selling it in the early 1980s - - these curtains were what sparked the identification of my coach after it found me.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
I wonder if Nick ever found his Grandparents' Airstream.
Maybe a subforum on lost/found airstreams.....?
I always watch for the Bambi on Ebay since I sold it a couple of years ago - just wondering how the renovation the new owners planned turned out.
SharonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Best of luck in your search.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Good luck with your search...the forums is a good place to start.

You never know what you will find with previous owners. I think of them like parent who have given their child up for adoption -- some want to keep in touch and others want no contact.

We have seen both types of previous owners with our trailers -- two of them we keep in touch with as they want to know all the details about what we do with the trailer and where we go camping. They love the fact that the new owners are enhancing and enjoying their old trailers. One of the previous owners though was just glad to be rid of the Bambi II and had no interest in staying in touch or even hearing about what we did with the trailer.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #8

1967 26' Overlander
Magnolia , Delaware
did you ever find your grandparents trailer?

I have a very similar story! I too am looking for the two Airstream trailers my grandparents had.

1971 Land Yacht, 23', Rear Bath, Double Bed, made in JC Ohio, serial# 3439
(L23 D1J 3439)

1977 International, 27', Rear Bath, Double Bed, made in JC Ohio, serial# 1401
(127 D7J 1401)

Their WBCCI # was 25098, and I actually just registered with it, so it is now mine also!!

I am now looking to see if I can actually find the trailers!!

Ashley Hitzig
WBCCI #25098
1967 Overlander 26' (A'ole hopohopo)
2016 Tahoe LTZ (Blacksheep)
ahitzig is offline   Reply With Quote