Ditto....

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Mobile By Way Of Atlanta, By Way Of Denver! , Alabama
Yours will come along! Mine came when I wasn't even looking
All good advice... I don't know about everybody else's areas but in Mobeeeeel, on one street out in rural Mobile there's always 3-4 Airstreams for sale... this week there was a 50s Caravel (I think I saw it on I-10 eastbound yesterday), a 70s Sovereign, and and 80s triple axle (not even sure how big it is... BIG) and then there's the really old (40s? maybe) one that's sitting on rotted wheels, same street, that the husband said "naaaah that ones not for sale, it's a classic, it was my wifes dad's trailer, she ain't selling it..." as it sits and falls apart...sad... then I went to measure a customer's house for cabinets (that's what I do for a living) and, lo-and-behold!, they had a rough looking sovereign they were turning into a hunting camp...

I like to believe they're everywhere... just not always in the most obvious places... good luck! you'll find yours

Shar
72BamaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #24

Currently Looking...
Washington , Washington, D.C.
sorry if I ruined the thread. you guys have been great.
Undrwaterair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
moving forward!

keep looking! be patient! i believe everybody is here to help because of THEIR experiences... good and bad...

Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Gillette , Wyoming
got luck

I found mine by accidentally turning on a wrong street a seeing one parked by a house. Two weeks later I knocked on their door and we talked about the AS. They were older and decided that maybe they could sell it. He did some research, came up with a price and offered it to me. I bought it. I was lucky, because I went up and knocked on their door. It had no for sale sign on it. I think I might have just found two aluminum 30 lb tanks the same way yesterday!

It doesn't hurt to knock and ask, who knows, worst that could happen, other than dog bites, buckshot, pepperspray and possible trespassing charges, is that they say it is not for sale.

Happy hunting!

"Listen, do you smell something?" - Dr. Ray Stantz
mickeymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
patience was suggested more than once.I've heard you can meet the nicest people in an airstream,and I will attest to that.I have a 67 sovereign in very nice condition,good for full time living,well within your price range .now you know where to find what you would enjoy.people get so excited about airstreams.this model could be the perfect one but you don't want my opinion.your words not mine.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
No opinion<no comment
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
and...

... we're still moving forward!

mickeymoose: good call on the "knocking on doors" method... although I'm not buying it, I did just post an ad for an older couple that I met at a campsite... they've got an extra trailer, they wanted to sell it, I told them about airforums.com, I posted the ad... sure it's more than I could spend right now (and I don't need it) BUT if I were looking I may have just found MY trailer... all because I started a conversation about Airstreams with a stranger...

Good Luck!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
In an effort to bring back the optimism and light-heartedness we all value on this website, I respectfully and sincerely suggest Richie Rich and Undrwaterair simply refrain from responding to each others posts in the future.

When oil and water are not mixing there's no point in further stirring...

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Looked for about 6mo but did not start off looking for AS. But after a short while that is what we settled on since they were night and day better.

We got ours off a dealer lot. The dealer is enormous and mostly sells Class A, monster 5th wheels, and toy haulers as well as really cheap smaller SOBs. It was there on a trade-in and was not selling until we came along. So maybe a place to look is the bigger dealer lots where you have retirees trading up to go full time. I still feel that we got a great deal years afterwards with more experience.

We struggled before that. I saw some on ebay but have been burned by ebay on other things, some folks are just not honest. Plus they tended to be all over the country which was not helpful for me. But what I did do was print off all the models and sold for prices on ebay over a period of several months. I took that down to the dealer to show him what I thought the going price was for an equivalent AS. I did not get any arguments and that knocked a ton off the price right off the bat.

Good luck, sometimes things just pop up.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap deal, ebay, right price, buying