Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
I just noticed my themostat has two possible modes for heating. Furnace OR Heat Pump mode. What's the difference?
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
I just noticed my themostat has two possible modes for heating. Furnace OR Heat Pump mode. What's the difference?
Hi, the furnace runs on propane and the heat pump is part of your roof air conditioner.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, the furnace runs on propane and the heat pump is part of your roof air conditioner.
Thanks Robert
So the heat pump with the themostat runs on electricity? I can turn off the propane at bedtime and the heat pump/air conditioner will keep a steady temperature that I set on the "Comfort Control Center"?
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
A little less fuel for a fire, should one start, though I think one tank would be sufficient to create a stream-b-que.
More than enough.

I'm usually one of the folks to err on the side of caution, but propane in a properly working system is pretty safe. I leave mine on. The only time I turn my water heater off is if I don't want to listen to it all night.

GoingCamping mentioned adrenaline in an earlier post.
While I agree with the idea that you need to be aware/familiar with the use of emergency exits - don't develop the mindset that those, or the door are your only two ways out. Any window large enough to get through is a potential exit. Kick the window out or use something to break it. Fire can be a great motivator and will get your adrenaline going...

Remember, none of this will mean anything if you sleep through the fire due to a dead battery in the smoke detector.

There have been some valid points raised in this thread. If nothing else, I feel that the awareness being raised is a good thing.

Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #85
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
So the heat pump with the themostat runs on electricity? I can turn off the propane at bedtime and the heat pump/air conditioner will keep a steady temperature that I set on the "Comfort Control Center"?
Dennis
Dennis, The heat pump will run until it gets down in the 30's and then the furnace will turn on; as the temp goes up outside, the heat pump goes on and the furnace goes off. The furnace will keep the water from freezing, the heat pump will not. The materials about the thermostat explain it better, but since you just got your Airstream, you have a lot of reading to do.

I didn't know that last Fall when I could have saved some propane, but learned it later on the Forum and then read about it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #86
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Cool

We use a small Honeywell electric ceramic space heater, but only when not sleeping. I am very uncomfortable about using any portable heating device when sleeping.

Electric resistance elements under the mattress, I don't think so.

Our 2008, 28' International has a DuoThearm, 15,000 BTU heat pump. As far as I am aware it does not have an internal elctric resistance heating strip.

Understand, that there was no info provided about the heat pump with my owner's package, but I have requested info from AS.

Cetainly on mildly cool days and nights using the heat pump mode makes more sense than using the propane furnace because if hooked up to shore power the cost is usually an all in rate.

Open vents in the shower or bathroom (that I like to keep open) will contribute to rapid cycling of the furnace on cold nights.

I am going to try using the escape window. Procrastinated long enough.

Thanks for this thread.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #87
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Hi everyone,
I had pretty much decided I wanted to buy an A/S, but after reading this thread I am really skeptical. The wiring sounds unsafe, there seems to be noise at night with pumps going on and off, and it seems like you have to be an engineer of some kind to figure it all out. As a woman alone, maybe this isn't for me after all.
Stephanie
s.noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #88

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.noble
Hi everyone,
I had pretty much decided I wanted to buy an A/S, but after reading this thread I am really skeptical. The wiring sounds unsafe, there seems to be noise at night with pumps going on and off, and it seems like you have to be an engineer of some kind to figure it all out. As a woman alone, maybe this isn't for me after all.
Stephanie
Stephanie, what you read are issues that any trailer owner deals with. Consider that when you are talking about heating, cooling, fire exits, space heaters, water pumps to name a few, all travel trailer brands have and use these components.

You are benefitting from a lot of experience out here and for a person buying their first trailer, it all sounds overwhelming. Understand that there are a lot of systems and components in a typical trailer. Not much different from all the components in your home. For the overwhelming majority of folks out there, the components do their job. But like your home as they age, things happen. The key is to ask questions of the folks here and don't walk away or let us scare you. It's not as difficult as you think.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #89
_

. , .
Quote:
...I had pretty much decided I wanted to buy an A/S, but after reading this thread I am really skeptical...
my concerns and the motivation for this thread...

is to consider the safety issues related ONLY to this brand and especially longer units (>25ft)

while all rvs have issues, that isn't the issue for me.

a/s is priced 2-3 times other trailers on a per foot basis.

yet many/MOST other brands now provide 2 DOORS in units 25 ft and longer...

a/s has instead moved the exit rearward on many longer trailers, while providing limited egress from the front.

also a/s trailers shipped to canada and europe have higher (different) safety standards and specs, that aren't required in the usa.

for a novice (new rv'r), balancing the excitement of 'shine and cool' with a healthy dose of skepticism is good.

buyers shouldn't blindly jump for some new floor plan they offer,

we should instead INSIST a/s focus on safety first. durability, convenience, gadgetry and so on are a distant 2nd.

so 'noble, use the advanced search tool, look 4 the magic/misunderstood term 4 fit/finish issues 'quality' in thread titles...

and 25-30 threads appear, which may add to your understanding, confusion, skepticism or somehow help u select a unit....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=1001186

and trailer owners only "deal with" these safety issues beforehand, IF...

IF they become aware of them, give consideration to their specific needs and choose accordingly.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #90
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Stephanie,

No one should be towing around something they are unhappy or nervous about. When I was considering buying an Airstream, I read countless threads on the Forum and found some of them downright scary. I had to discount the posts of chronic complainers and of people who just didn't understand all the mechanical systems in any trailer ever. If I gave them full credence, I'd never buy anything. It's not easy to figure out who to discount, and at first it's quite overwhelming. Eventually, after reading a lot I came to a decision to go ahead.

If there's a forum about houses, I'm sure there are lots of posts telling about furnaces blowing up, roofs leaking, windows that stick, contractors that don't finish their jobs, and robberies. The same goes for forums about various makes of cars and trucks. Forums attract all sorts of people.

Like 2air and Jack say, keep reading and look for some books on RVing to get a good background before you decide what to do. Only after you feel comfortable, go to look at the ones at the two Colorado dealers—it's hard for a lot of us not to buy one once we go through a few new ones. Some people buy used ones and some buy new in other states because they don't like the dealers in Colorado.

It's like buying a house—ours cost a lot more than my first house, but my first house was in 1970 and in the struggling city of Buffalo. It's a major expense, it's like a house shrunk down to a couple of hundred square feet, and it comes with a lot of the same maintenance issues. Of course, you can change your neighbors every day.

You're in the right place. Ask questions—there are lots of people here who will answer your questions. The learning curve feels steep, but it gets better. There's a woman who posts a lot (Michelle) who knows more about trailers than I'll ever know, so you can do it too.

Gene
Old 03-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #91
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2
blah, blah...so 'noble, use the advanced search tool, look 4 the magic/misunderstood term 4 fit/finish issues 'quality' in thread titles...blah'
not sure why the link in #89 isn't working...

here it is again, and it seems to work now.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=1001549

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Stephanie
S. Noble,

Water pumps make some noise. Not a big deal you probably won't notice it during the day and there's a handy switch to turn it off at night.

As to the electrical. If it were as deadly as hinted at here there would not be any Airstreams left in the world.

Some folks feel there should be two doors on the longer models. Thats really a matter of preference. Some manufacturers do this and others don't.

If a second door is critical to you you can either have one put in an Airstream or shop for another make that you like.

The reality is though that this thread has not lived up to it's dramatic title. Read more of this forums threads and you'll get a more realistic view of Airstreams and then make a decision you can be happy with.

Good luck.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #93
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Stephanie
Stephanie:

For anything you might want to know regards to buying/owing/operating an Airstream please consider your local WBCCI Unit. My wife and I found the folks at our Texas Highland Lakes Unit to be a great source for valuble information.

Also, check out the video at: Airstream, Inc :: Why Buy?

SRW

SRW
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Coming from the world of vintage Airstreams that have nothing of the sort and now considering a new one, I can't help but find the whole emergency exit topic a little amusing. If it's a window that opens, and my big butt will fit through it, then I consider it an emergency exit. I don't really need a set of pretty little red handles and a decal to tell me that.

On another note, like a lot of other folks on here, I don't understand the sudden popularity of the FB models. The salesman at my local dealership explained to me that most people buy them because of campgrounds where you are backed up to a lake or mountain view. Five minutes later, he showed me a Safari with a front bedroom and rear bathroom floorplan.(Living room felt like you were trapped in a submarine) So much for that 'better view' logic.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #95
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Sounds like you were looking at a 23'FB Safari. It's a NICE little trailer, but your view from the center is limited. The 25 and great sized front bedrooms with the rear wrap windows and panoramic windows are bright and airy.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #96
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Journalist,

We bought the FB because it was the shortest model with a queen sized bed. We got panoramic windows on both ends because they look cool. And it had a "sofa" which is really a bench seat, but still good. Makes the galley/living room look bigger and a good place to put things. My wife can lean back on her side of the dinette and put her legs up on the sofa and watch the tube.

It was that simple.

We didn't know it was so "dangerous" and I'm sure I'd go ass or head first through the screen and out the window if the galley was blazing.

Gene
Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Sounds like you were looking at a 23'FB Safari. It's a NICE little trailer, but your view from the center is limited. The 25 and great sized front bedrooms with the rear wrap windows and panoramic windows are bright and airy.
That's the one. It was nice, but I think I want a slightly more traditional layout. I really liked the open feel of the bedroom, but I don't think I could handle a rained out weekend in that living area. My '69 has an odd floorplan with the single center bed and rear bath, so I've been down that road before. I'm looking seriously at a 25' International CCD or Ocean Breeze with a standard floorplan.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote