Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Current Axles and Brakes

Howdy All!

Just visited Safford RV in Fredericksburg, VA. Really nice folks down there. Anyway, was checking out a Safari 30 and took note of the suspension system.

It had Dexter axles, Dexter multi-piston disk brakes, and the Actibrake Electric over Hydraulic brake actuator (housed in a very nice little compartment up on the tongue, against the base of the shell).

I know there are many options out there for disk brakes. I myself am planning to update the hydravac system on my own rig. Options are: Dexter or Henschen axles in the rubber torsion type, Dexter axles in the leaf spring type, making my own axles in the leaf spring type, Kodiak disks, Dexter disks, Actibrake E over H controller, Dexter E over H, or Towbrake E over H.

I've not made up my own mind yet which route I'm going to go. There are many combinations that would work just fine. But, I thought some of you may be interested in seeing what Airstream is using right now. Not to say that won't change tomorrow, but that's the current snapshot.

Cheers,
Old 08-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Howdy All!

It had Dexter axles, Dexter multi-piston disk brakes,....
That's what I used for my 1963 Overlander. Works very well, I might add.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:01 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Jim,

I would think that going from a rubber torsion axle to a metal leaf spring axle would be more challenging than the end result would be worth.

Like redesigning the running gear system. It could be done. And why, when the design work has already been done?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-22-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
I'm leaning toward a totally new frame, so the options are basically wide open. I'll probably go with the dura-torque type, but put an onboard jack system on so that when I get to where I'm going, I'll raise the weight of the trailer off the rubber axles. Same thing for long time storage. My only beef with the dura-torques is how they take the permanent set. Solve that problem, and they're not much to dislike about them

I am going disk brakes, no two ways about it. Just not sure which ones. Probably a Ford/Chevy kind of thing. I think the all the stuff I mentioned above is probably pretty good.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
What's up?

Jim,

Hey, still working on your project huh?

I thought that you already had a friend build you that new frame?

Sounds like you're still progressing!

Good Lick,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
My only beef with the dura-torques is how they take the permanent set. Solve that problem, and they're not much to dislike about them
Dura-torque axles (a brand name/design) take a set, in my opinion, because of the design. They are made of rubber rods. It's the rubber that over time and lack of use takes a set in a given position that the axle has been sitting in. Use the trailer or axles and the rubber rods will not take the set because they are moved or exorcised to the point that they are not in one position for a long time. Old bias ply tires were the same. Let the car sit for a period of time like a week and the tire would have a thump in it until the rubber was heated up and the tire was moved around.

So it would not be limited to Dura-torque/Henschen brand. Dexter and any other brand that uses rubber rods under tension for spring action would have a similar issue in my opinion.

Solving the problem would be Wally B's battle cry, .... get out there and use your trailer to explore new places! (I suppose to a lesser degree one could jump up and down inside their trailer and maybe accomplish the same thing. Who knows?)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-23-2006, 03:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Just a note that the verbal description of the axles gives the impression that these are rubber. These are made of metal and use rubber rods to cushion the space between the inner "axle"and the outer cover. These are two square tubes - one inside the other - set at a 45 degree offset to each other with rubber rods in the corners of the outer tube as the cushion. Search the net for pictures.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Joe the rubber rods in the corners act as springs!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Action,

You're right on the money. If you exercise them they shouldn't take the set. And Wally's Battle Cry is right on.

I know there are different names for them. I think Henschen calls them Dura Torques and Dexter calls them Tor Flex, and not sure what the other guys call them, but they are swing arm type suspensions with rubber as the springing medium.

I saw some units on a trailer a guy had converted to haul his old show car in that used some type of swing arm for each individual wheel. Each setup used a coil spring and a conventional shock absorber. It was a very slick setup, but probably way overkill for what we do. Just the same, I liked it a lot.

Advantages to the duratorque/torflex are simplicity, few moving parts, self dampening (probably don't actually need shocks), fully independant suspension, good built in side to side sway resistance (far better than leafs not having a panhard rod). Downside is the rubber used for the springing medium. All in all, they're great.

If you store it jacked up so that weight's not on them all the time, in the low position, and exercise them regularly, they'd probably do a lot better than how the norm is: Park the trailer and forget about it, as it slowly settles over time.

I looked at a bunch of old ones before I bought my old one, and they all had worn out axles. But, how many 30 year old Prowlers are on the road? All in all the rubber torsion axles are good stuff.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Wally always detested "Yard Art". Why buy one if yuo are not going to use it?

The leaf spring vs the swing arm torsion spring must have been debated in the early 60's by A/S. Obviously they thought enough of the torsion axle then to make the decision to go that direction. And have stuck with it for all these years. A/S was and is a premuim RV in the market place. The torsion axle is too for it's place in the running gear world. So I believe the torsion axle decsion on your part should be a no brainer. Get the high end designed axle for the high end designed travel trailer.

Then as you state, how do you get the max life out of your axle set? Well if you consider your trailer has seen the end of it's useful axle life, look at 2035 and know you won't have to make this decision again until that year. Then use your trailer at every excuse you can get. Support it when not using as you suggested above. And have fun putting the project on the road!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello everyone ,
I have the leaf spring axles on my 60 trdwnd .I believe airstream wanted a smoother ride ,so they of course went with the torsion axles .I agree with the
rubber rods ,and the axles taking a set ,but new axles should last along time.
the question to be answered then is how long? I know the warrenties of
the popular axles today is 5 years .jims idea of unloading the axles is a good
idea ,and the axles should last for a very long time .The weight on the axles
is constantly forcing the rubber rods into compression naturally .a leaf spring
trailer won't ride as soft as a torsion axle for sure ,but if mine sits or is
on the road I still don't have to ever worry about the springs .Thats not to
say that they are better ,my travelall has 4 wheel drive and leaf springs all
around ,it will never ever ride like a suburban ,but its built tough so I will
keep using it and I like the style ,one of wallys favorite vehicals.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote