Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2018, 03:10 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
. . .
. . . Every time you call the 800 number with questions after your policy is issued, a claim is opened. It's called an "unpaid claim". You'll be dropped after four or five of these. Always call you agent. Always.
. . .
^^^^^^^x2

Well said.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #42
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Can't Say Enough Good Things About Geico

Often tempted to shop rates when it comes time to insurance. But better to shop with regard to who will treat you fairly and with respect when claim time comes. We've filed claims with Geico twice. Cannot say enough good things about how we were treated and their smooth and prompt claims process.

Good luck with whoever you choose to be your new insurer.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Former Insurance Agent - Now in total loss valuations

Thank you for the compliments, much appreciated.

To the fellow who wrote that he had "high liability limits" that's fine, but I hope you meant you had a high deductible and decent Comp and collision limits. Liability'covers you when you hit someone with your vehicle and pays for the other vehicle. Collision covers your vehicle when someone hits you while moving. Comprehensive comes into play when you're not moving (I.E. a tree branch hits your trailer). I hope this helps, please feel free to contact me via PM if I can answer any further questions.

These factors apply with both vintage and newer trailers with a caveat.For a vintage trailer your insurer will want an appraisal by an appraiser who follows USPAP. Please contact me if you have questions as to why you need this rather than using someone without USPAP.

Hope this helps/

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Good News to Report

Our Foremost insurance on the RV will remain in effect.

I'll try to make it a short update. Our agent (Farmers) wasn't aware Foremost was cancelling our RV insurance. When we called him to shop around, he responded "let me make some phone calls." He was able to keep the insurance in place. Said we've been good customers for 24 years (home, umbrella, ranch, autos, 5 RVs over the last 10 years), never any claims on anything ... he was successful with whatever phone call he made. I am thankful to our insurance agent for his efforts and to Foremost for having reconsidered and keeping our insurance in place. I anticipate our rates will increase, but that I understand and wouldn't dispute.

I need to update the thread title ... but it doesn't seem to allow me to edit it now.

So the title should now read "Insurance Claims - Learn from My Experience"

Thank you for everyone's participation on this thread. I've learned so very much about insurance and claims, so hopefully the thread produced some positive discussion and future considerations on insurance for everyone.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #45

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
Thank you for the compliments, much appreciated.

To the fellow who wrote that he had "high liability limits" that's fine, but I hope you meant you had a high deductible and decent Comp and collision limits. Liability'covers you when you hit someone with your vehicle and pays for the other vehicle.

Hope this helps/
Most trailer policies, unless bought by the bank to protect their collateral, have liability coverage. This in case a litigious parent's child gets hurt while stealing your enticing nuisance cooler because they think there is beer in it.

Those that are full timing, usually over 150 days a year, should carry high liability to protect their assets as if this is a home especially if they do not have a home covered by a liability policy.

Thanks
Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:43 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wildwood , Missouri
What's wrong with Goodyear tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
So we have back to back claims ... Foremost decides we can't renew our insurance on our 2016 Airstream.

First claim was for repair of the bumper and right rear corner skin where I hung it on a support pole at the storage facility. We elected to take the Airstream to the factory for repair. So wouldn't you know those sorry Goodyear tires elect to blow a tire in route to the factory (tires less than 2 years old). So now we have the second claim.

A little history, this is our 5th Airstream we've owned over the course of 10 years, never any accidents, never any claims. But we have these two claims and Foremost treats its customer like this. Yet another example of USA corporate greed.

So this week I'll be on the search for a new insurance carrier.
What's with the criticism of Goodyear? I have them and yes I replaced 2 of them for road hazards. I didn't even know insurance covered tired. We bought road hazard from Discount Tire. Great company.
Elkhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:20 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhounds View Post
What's with the criticism of Goodyear? I have them and yes I replaced 2 of them for road hazards. I didn't even know insurance covered tired. We bought road hazard from Discount Tire. Great company.
The reference is to Goodyear Marathon tires not the current Goodyear Endurance tires. The Marathons were made in China to a lower standard than the Endurance tire. They tend to blow out. Nothing wrong with Endurance tires. Everything wrong with Marathons.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:36 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post

Take a look at the loss ratios of most insurers and you'll see it's a pretty thin margin, if at all. Many insurers don't even make money on a pure underwriting basis - they earn it on investments.
When the gubmint legally requires a citizen to pay for something supplied by private industry (in this case, on-road vehicle insurance), there SHOULD only be a razor-thin profit margin.

But also, no individual should make a profit on a claim, especially if the damage is certainly their fault.

Personally, I don’t think an insurance company should have to pay out even one dollar for self-inflicted damage; unless that’s covered in the policy they offer (in which case, maybe they shouldn’t offer that!). To be clear here, self-inflicted means with no outside influence and would not include avoiding a worse collision due to others’ actions.
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote