Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Foremost - Worst and Deplorable!

So we have back to back claims ... Foremost decides we can't renew our insurance on our 2016 Airstream.

First claim was for repair of the bumper and right rear corner skin where I hung it on a support pole at the storage facility. We elected to take the Airstream to the factory for repair. So wouldn't you know those sorry Goodyear tires elect to blow a tire in route to the factory (tires less than 2 years old). So now we have the second claim.

A little history, this is our 5th Airstream we've owned over the course of 10 years, never any accidents, never any claims. But we have these two claims and Foremost treats its customer like this. Yet another example of USA corporate greed.

So this week I'll be on the search for a new insurance carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Notice.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	324102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lame Excuse.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	324103  

Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
My wife is x-military and we have USAA. For what it is worth they are incredible, and we’ve never had any issues with any claims.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Foremost...

We lost our boat in a storage building fire three years ago. The claim was settled and money in my account in 28 days, all done by phone & mails. Adjuster couldn't even inspect, the entire area was condemned.
We were thrilled...'til next years renewal came for the new boat. $460per to $1180. For a claim we had nothing to do with.👎

Called Geico Marine... more comprehensive policy for $390/per yr. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1662.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	324116  
Old 09-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Unfortunately, I have experience with this through business.
With insurance, it’s generally not the amount, it’s the number of them. Statistically, one can happen. Two, is unlikely regardless of the reason. Doesn’t matter because from their standpoint you are one of thousands and they don’t know what might have changed. You’ve been a good risk for a decade and then your judgement lapses. First an accident. Then, a tire blowout which is rare and unusual to happen if you have been paying attention to either the road or the state of tire health. Doesn’t matter that you may be the best driver or tire maintainer on the planet, you had two claims that statistically are preventable in a short period. So they protect their shareholders and risk your ire by dropping you. Thing is, your insurance history is shared via database just as property claims data is.

Not fair but it is how it works. That’s why you just don’t make a claim unless it is above your pain threshold to self insure a given loss.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Unfortunately, I have experience with this through business.
With insurance, it’s generally not the amount, it’s the number of them. Statistically, one can happen. Two, is unlikely regardless of the reason. Doesn’t matter because from their standpoint you are one of thousands and they don’t know what might have changed. You’ve been a good risk for a decade and then your judgement lapses. First an accident. Then, a tire blowout which is rare and unusual to happen if you have been paying attention to either the road or the state of tire health. Doesn’t matter that you may be the best driver or tire maintainer on the planet, you had two claims that statistically are preventable in a short period. So they protect their shareholders and risk your ire by dropping you. Thing is, your insurance history is shared via database just as property claims data is.

Not fair but it is how it works. That’s why you just don’t make a claim unless it is above your pain threshold to self insure a given loss.

Again, corporate greed.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Again, corporate greed.
^
x2

Been boating for 50 Seasons, insured every year, this was the first claim and it was a 'no-fault'.
Will never use or recommend Foremost again. 👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Foremost/farmers

I have two commercial policy’s . Had storm damage on both of them in a two week period. They are making me crazy with all the nickel and dime crap.

Been feeding the beast ( ins pool ) since 1983

First claim ever and I feel like I’m taking out a loan. Lol.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The tenet of the insurance industry is that you pay your premiums on time, and they pay nothing unless they can't avoid it.

We have a dear friend whose brand new minivan was parked in the parking garage in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. Fortunately, our friend got out of the building, but her vehicle was lost. When she filed a claim with State Farm, she was told that the damage to her vehicle was caused by an act of war and was not covered.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Corporate Greed? Then self insure yourself and have an accident to understand how insurance companies operate.

Farmers Insurance on vehicles and home. They use Foremost to insure our trailer 2014 International 25 foot when not being towed for residents of Nevada.

Colorado had different STATE LAWS covering insurance than Nevada.

$55,000 for value of trailer insured
$2,500 comp/collision deductable
$50 added for towing
$8 added for emergency expenses

Total Annual Bill for 2018: $339 (Last year $400+ some)

We have not had an accident in our vehicles or trailer since I had a Driver's License in 1966. My wife, no accidents, since having a Driver's License since 1968.

Our home, auto and trailer insurance is for CATASTROPHIC coverage, for us. That is why the High deductibles.

I now suspect that the 'Stolen Trailer' Thread in Nevada by a Texas Family may have 'self insured' themselves... for reasons that we can only guess, as no body is talking.

If I were an Insurance Company and someone had a cluster, or several large claims in a short time period... it is not the insurance company that is having these accidents. You are. Sometimes an insured customer maybe the wiser to cover their own dumb mistakes, out of pocket. I bet they would insure you for a very high premium and a high deductible... but why insure you, again?

You may never have another accident for the rest of your life. Then... Self Insure and have several millions of dollars put aside... just in case.

Marathon Tires? Never heard of them ON MY TRAILER. You might have been reading the Forums for how long and never heard of Marathon Tire issues?

Common Sense is lacking around here at the present time.

I rest my case. This is why I am not an insurance agent.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
A year ago, an oncoming truck & trailer traveling over the center line forced me to hit the guardrail of the White Salmon/Hood River bridge (posted only two lanes, 9 ft each), crossing the Columbia River, between WA & OR. I took the AS to AS Adventures NW, our local, Seattle AS dealer. They estimated damage at slightly over $16K, which they submitted to our insurance agency, State Farm. Several days later, State Farm approved the estimate in total and sent me a check in its amount less my $500 deductible. Furthermore, they told me that because I had no fault in the accident, its payment of insurance proceeds would not effect my insurability or renewal premium. So far in my experience, five stars for State Farm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS Dent 1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	324182  
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
downers grove , IL
Quote:
Again, corporate greed.
More likely it's Actuarial Science. As AirstreamCSH said, claims are the basis for the carrier's risk assessment. Those two claims under those specific circumstances might lead any insurance company to either jack up rates or drop coverage. Insurance companies sell policies by "pricing the risk". Foremost might have decided to drop coverage rather than sending a crazy renewal quote.
gkoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
So we have back to back claims ... Foremost decides we can't renew our insurance on our 2016 Airstream.

First claim was for repair of the bumper and right rear corner skin where I hung it on a support pole at the storage facility. We elected to take the Airstream to the factory for repair. So wouldn't you know those sorry Goodyear tires elect to blow a tire in route to the factory (tires less than 2 years old). So now we have the second claim.

A little history, this is our 5th Airstream we've owned over the course of 10 years, never any accidents, never any claims. But we have these two claims and Foremost treats its customer like this. Yet another example of USA corporate greed.

So this week I'll be on the search for a new insurance carrier.
Did Foremost pay both of your claims?
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Corporate Greed? Then self insure yourself and have an accident to understand how insurance companies operate.

Farmers Insurance on vehicles and home. They use Foremost to insure our trailer 2014 International 25 foot when not being towed for residents of Nevada.

$50 added for towing

We have not had an accident in our vehicles or trailer since I had a Driver's License in 1966. My wife, no accidents, since having a Driver's License since 1968.

Our home, auto and trailer insurance is for CATASTROPHIC coverage, for us. That is why the High deductibles.

I now suspect that the 'Stolen Trailer' Thread in Nevada by a Texas Family may have 'self insured' themselves... for reasons that we can only guess, as no body is talking.

If I were an Insurance Company and someone had a cluster, or several large claims in a short time period... it is not the insurance company that is having these accidents. You are. Sometimes an insured customer maybe the wiser to cover their own dumb mistakes, out of pocket. I bet they would insure you for a very high premium and a high deductible... but why insure you, again?

You may never have another accident for the rest of your life. Then... Self Insure and have several millions of dollars put aside... just in case.

Marathon Tires? Never heard of them ON MY TRAILER. You might have been reading the Forums for how long and never heard of Marathon Tire issues?

You make a number of reference that are rude and equally shortsighted. But having read threads of yours I don’t find your comments surprising nor of much value.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
You make a number of reference that are rude and equally shortsighted. But having read threads of yours I don’t find your comments surprising nor of much value.

You are welcome.

Good advice is often mistaken as shortsighted and of little value. Good luck on your search for a competent Insurance Company.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I've had a very similar experience with State Farm (two claims and you are out). In that case, finding insurance the next year was tough. Apparently when they drop you "with cause" (or whatever their term is) that sets off flags when you go shopping for a new policy. Just as in your case, neither claim was for anything we had control over ....

It's a crazy world.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post

Well put. I own insurance but will only use it for a catastrophe. Thanks for this information it is helpful to validate my understanding of insurance.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Foremost broke up with you because after 10 years at $400 a year they'll still be deep in the hole after these two claims. I do think they could have been nicer though, maybe gave the the old "it's not you, it's me" speech.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Scott City , Missouri
It’s bad luck having two claims in a short time when you went years without one. Being cancelled after that does stink but businesses are in it to make money and multiple claims is a sure way to get cancelled. There probably are more people who cancell their insurance after a claim because their rate went up a few dollars then insurance companies cancelling them because of multiple claims. The so called greed can go both ways.
80Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
The common rule of thumb is to never insure something that you would reasonably pay for yourself. Why pay for a $100 deductible if you can easily sustain the loss with a $1000 deductible? The cost savings should justify that.

Also - consider this: if every person believes they should come out ahead in the insurance transaction (more paid out than premium paid in), how do insurance companies stay in business?

Take a look at the loss ratios of most insurers and you'll see it's a pretty thin margin, if at all. Many insurers don't even make money on a pure underwriting basis - they earn it on investments.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

$50 added for towing

Ray, I am going to disagree with you. More people have zero to few accidents, than those who have 5 or more. Because Insurance Agencies insure more of the former for decades they are a very profitable business. The latter are charged outrageous sums of money, so they are still profitable. To treat long term customers as our members are reporting above is more than unjust, whether or not it’s legal, it’s criminal.

As far as your “Marathon Tires Quip”, asking for a tire to last longer than two years is reasonable. My .02c

Did you get out of the wring side of the bed this morning? Love you still Ray.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote