Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First of all, both AAA (really a marketing organization) and GS (insurance, retail, RV books) are not primarily a towing organization.

AAA is good for maps and tour and camping books, not much else because they have lots of restrictions about towing. We have the most basic plan and only for one of us. That saves $$. Maps and books from other sources would cost more for all the traveling we do.

Generally GS gets very good reviews for towing to where you need it. Too much junk mail and it gets tossed. We heard stories on the Alaska Hwy of GS towing people hundreds and hundreds of miles to get them to a place where their vehicle could be fixed with no complaints or charges.

We have never had to use GS and haven't had anything towed by AAA for 20 years.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Round Rock , Texas
I'm feeling better and better that we opted for Good Sam. We hit the road in mid-August and I used Good Sam to route our trip and select and book our campsites. I'm a "special needs" traveler so I need advance planning and reservations that accomodate my circumstances. So far it's all been good from Good Sam and from the camp sites we have contacted.

I hope to be able to report that we did not need any of the Good Sam emergency services at all. If we do need anything, I will let you know the results.
bspelce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
if you fly into a city somewhere away from home, and rent a car for a week, does Good Sam cover you for any part of that?
Why would you need ERS for a rental?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #24
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
if you fly into a city somewhere away from home, and rent a car for a week, does Good Sam cover you for any part of that?
My regular auto insurance covers me for that ( I assume you are referring to liability and collision, right?) If you are referring to road service, I'd call the rental agent.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #25
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
so.....nobody knows, I guess.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #26

2004 25' Safari
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie View Post
I'm almost sorry I signed up for Good Sam after getting WAY too many emails and snail mail ads, but their roadside assistance program looks pretty good compared to AAA. Anyone ever use either, or have any personal experience with Good Sam roadside assistance?

Cheers,
Tom
I was receiving those emails and mail ads from Good Sam. I finally called them up and asked them politely to discontinue the mailings as I was aware of their offerings and was not interested at this time. The operator readily agreed and in a few weeks almost all mailings ceased and have not returned.
colonialrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
We have had both , I do hate the GS junk mails , but have never needed either , knock on wood
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #28
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
so.....nobody knows, I guess.
Still don't know what your question is. What type of coverage are you asking about? If you are asking about emergency road service, yes - Good Sam will help me out. But - if I had a rental car, I'd expect the rental agent to come and get me with a replacement car. Neither Good Sam, AAA or anyone except family will do that.

Sorry - Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 07-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #29
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Thanks, I just found their ERS program brochure online. They do NOT cover anything at all with a rental vehicle. Nada. Zip. They won't change your tires, charge your battery, or get you a locksmith, etc.

That was my main question. Whether Good Sam was of any benefit to people in rental vehciles. The answer is no.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #30
CalamonTin

2008 30' Classic
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
AAA vs Good Sam

Rick, Please forgive if I have confused things. Let me know if this is the wrong person. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
After reading many threads I went with Good Sam. I can't comment on whether it is good or not because it hasn't been put to the test

I initially started to buy it through Camping World as their price looked a buck or two better but they wanted to charge sales tax so I bought it direct from Good Sam.

It seems too take a week or so to get it set up so don't put it off till the day before you leave

I have never had RV road service before as I have always been able to cope with most problems I see others using it for but with my advancing age, a 50 year old trailer, and a half million mile truck finally decided to spring the bucks
CalamonTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #31
CalamonTin

2008 30' Classic
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Am I confused????????

I am new here so if I need guidance please feel free to provide that which you feel appropriate.

A couple of days ago I filled out the "request a quote" page on the GS site. Later I got a response from GMAC providing me with a quote for ins on my recently acquired 2008 30' Classic. Can someone help me understand if I am not dealing with GS when I get a response from GMAC or is GMAC simply the insurance carrier for GS and the "network" being referred to in this thread is what everyone is talking to when they talk about the great service, immediate response etc. etc?
CalamonTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #32
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Thanks, I just found their ERS program brochure online. They do NOT cover anything at all with a rental vehicle. Nada. Zip. They won't change your tires, charge your battery, or get you a locksmith, etc.

That was my main question. Whether Good Sam was of any benefit to people in rental vehciles. The answer is no.
Gringo, why would you want good sam or aaa to come to your assistance when the rental company wants you to call them? Plus, they'll put you in a different car - you won't be dead until the first one gets fixed? Is it different on the islands?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagill6447 View Post
Rick, Please forgive if I have confused things. Let me know if this is the wrong person. Sorry.
It sounds like you are being quoted for vehicle insurance rather than road service.

Road service is one price regardless of vehicle. I think there is also a premium level with a few more benifits.

You should not hear from anyone other than GS on the road service
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Good Sam Platinum ERS Service will cover ANY vehicle you drive, AND trailer you pull. I know this from recent experience.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Good Sam for our Airstream

We still have AAA for my husband's car and maps. Good Sam for our Airstream and I have Subaru coverage for me. AAA RV coverage depends upon the location and since we travel all over, we think GS is a better choice.

About the mailings, you can request they stop sending that stuff.......I did and they also did not send us our renewal....so watch out for that....we were bare a few months unknowingly......they are supposed to be able to send renewals only......

On our 3 month trip covering 11,340 miles and 21 states we used Garmin and AAA maps along with Woodalls......needed all 3 sometimes.....luckily we didn't need GS.....for any towing. Used our Pressure Pro tire pressure system that warned us when tire pressure was low--two times......probably prevented us from having to use Good Sam. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagill6447 View Post
I am new here so if I need guidance please feel free to provide that which you feel appropriate.

A couple of days ago I filled out the "request a quote" page on the GS site. Later I got a response from GMAC providing me with a quote for ins on my recently acquired 2008 30' Classic. Can someone help me understand if I am not dealing with GS when I get a response from GMAC or is GMAC simply the insurance carrier for GS and the "network" being referred to in this thread is what everyone is talking to when they talk about the great service, immediate response etc. etc?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats because GS is not an insurance company, like AAA, and others for that they bid it out to see who is going to give the lowest price and the most service. Currently GMAC has that privilage and they are not worth a plug nickle in my opinion either as far as their insurance/credit cards. The car loan company was great though.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Thanks, I just found their ERS program brochure online. They do NOT cover anything at all with a rental vehicle. Nada. Zip. They won't change your tires, charge your battery, or get you a locksmith, etc. That was my main question. Whether Good Sam was of any benefit to people in rental vehciles. The answer is no.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gringo,
I drove tow truck and the reason that no one covers rental units is because all your major rental companies which include car, truck, U-Haul, Ryder, ETC, have contractual agreements with towing/repair companies to save them money, also because most of the time a rental company is going to have the tow company bring you a different vehicle if they feel that the repair is going to take more than very short time usually less than 30 minutes and that can be usually determined from the questions they ask you about the breakdown. The tow company I last worked for had an agreement with Enterprise because there was an office in town and our agreement covered an area of 300 miles in a circle and we got all tows that occured in that area. I had to take one to someone who blew the engine on a brand new Cad. It had developed an oil leak after they ran over something and instead of stopping when the check engine light came on they drove it until it quit, I went to the office hooked a replacement veh, ran 275 miles to bring it to them then took the broke one to the airport 75 miles away from them where they had a main office with repair facility, dropped it grabed a replacment for the local office and took it back to them because the car they sent out went to NY and was turned in there. Also Hertz, Enterprise, Alamo, Avis, Budget, National, have their own repair shops and figure that it is cheaper to tow it to their place rather than take a chance on someone who is going to stiff for things that dont need fixed.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
not to get all political on us but....I had AAA for 30 years and dropped them when their lobbyists decided to oppose the niggling little federal subsidy that goes to bike paths and pedestrian projects...

i have the Road Care deal from Camper World and they were all over me when the starter failed in the Pine Barrens of NJ. responsive and courteous even when I had to call back and tell them that the local blueberry grower had me running again...

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Below is an excerpt from the Good Sam Platinum ERS site. I have used it on my own vehicle three years ago, and on a borrowed vehicle and Airstream this month while in British Columbia. We were over 35 miles from the nearest town and tow service. The truck was there in under an hour, and put the tow vehicle on the flat bed, and towed the Airstream behind it. The tow truck operator delivered us to the nearest campground, put the trailer on a campsite, and then delivered the tow vehicle to a GMC dealership for repair. No problems, and good service.
The tow bill was over $400. I paid nothing.. nada, zip.

Based on my experiences with GS, I see no reason to believe they won't honor their (published) promise to cover rental or leased vehicles.

Emergency Road Service Platinum Benefits - RV Road Service - RoadSide Assistance

-------------------------------------------------
Protection For Any Vehicle You Drive

No matter what vehicle you drive, no matter how big or how heavy, you can count on us to tow you to safety. All owned, leased, rented, or borrowed vehicles are included!

-------------------------------------------------

On a side note, the tow operator said he had towed many rigs in the past several years, but was very impressed with the way the Airstream w/Hensley pulled. He said "This thing stays straight. Those other trailers wag around from side to side." He had a receiver on the back of his truck that moved in about six different directions, making is very easy to hitch up (we nailed it first try) and level off.

I'm pretty sure my wife has pictures, but I'm not waking her up.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Found them!

1. Hooking up.
2. From the back.
3. The campsite.
Attached Thumbnails