Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Amelia , Ohio
AAA vs. Good Sam?

I'm almost sorry I signed up for Good Sam after getting WAY too many emails and snail mail ads, but their roadside assistance program looks pretty good compared to AAA. Anyone ever use either, or have any personal experience with Good Sam roadside assistance?

Cheers,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Well, we got the Good Sam thing as part of the deal when we bought the airstream. Talking to my father, a long time RVer about it, he said he runs both. Good Sam has the network of tow trucks that can handle the RV, but AAA is better for almost anything else. Paraphrasing his feelings after thirty years at it..
'Good Sam covers a specific vehicle, AAA covers a specific person no matter what he's driving.'
Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Tom:

My friend and I attend an Escapees Escapade in Sedalia Missouri in May 2009. We got several days of heavy rain. I have AAA and he has Good Sams. We both had good experiences using the respective services to get towed out. Most RVers at this rally needed to get towed out because the rally grounds is a clay base with poor drainage.

I have AAA for our autos and added on the RV towing coverage. It works for us.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had so much junk mail from Good Sam we would never go back to them just for that reason.

AAA has always worked well for us, and we get good discounts at many places with the card---hotels, museums, etc.

Maggie
Old 07-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We went with the AAA for the car and the add on for the RV. Used the RV in January when we got locked out of the trailer. Have used the car part for towing. Was happy with the response both times. Also like the AAA maps. Got a discount at NAPA on trailer parts.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
This probably does not matter so much if you have a trailer and a reliable TV, but Good Sam knows when to send a mobile mechanic, when to send a tow truck, and where to tow you. When we first bought our 1984 310 we got roadside assistance through our auto policy. When we needed help that they could have sent a mobile mechanic for, they sent a tow truck that was not up to the job. The driver messed up our carrier bearing unhooking the driveshaft, and dropped us at a Chevy dealer that did not work on RV's. We have Good Sam now, used them once and they did it right.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I was with AAA for over 20 years, when we broke down with our Class C 4 years ago I called them for help on a Sunday. I was told that because I did not have the add on for th RV they would not be able to help me at all, NO EXCEPTIONS. I was told that I could only upgrade my membership the next day and MAYBE they would help me at that time. They were not even willing to help me locate some else to help us. 90 degrees in St Augustine, FL in May, Whew.
Very disappointing to say the least.

I am now with Good Sam. They did and will help me with any problems 24/7 no questions asked. They cover all my cars trailers or any thing I am driving at the time.
I would recommend them highly, worth the extra couple of emails.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Another choice, Allstate. And they have an IPhone ap that lets them find your location. They use the same tow network AAA and Good Sam uses.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think you do have to have AAA RV to have them give you RV service---which we have fortunately not yet had to use.

Maggie
Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good Sam came and got us in the middle of nowhere (Ganado, AZ) on a Sunday morning and towed us to the nearest dealer (Gallup, NM) 50 miles away. First he towed us to the cg we chose in Gallup, allowed me to set up the trailer, then took me and the truck to the dealer, where we dropped the keys in a night box. Then he took me back to camp - and accepted a tip only after we argued about it for awhile.

Another time I was on the interstate in Arkansas when I noticed that my umbilical was no longer plugged in (and I had dragged it to rags for who knows how many miles.) I called Good Sam, explained my problem and my location and direction. The operator found a truck repair place along my route and got assurance that they would get me in when I got there. The shop was waiting, got me in and repaired my umbilical in short order, for a homeboy's price.

I'm a dedicated customer of Good Sam.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
After reading many threads I went with Good Sam. I can't comment on whether it is good or not because it hasn't been put to the test

I initially started to buy it through Camping World as their price looked a buck or two better but they wanted to charge sales tax so I bought it direct from Good Sam.

It seems too take a week or so to get it set up so don't put it off till the day before you leave

I have never had RV road service before as I have always been able to cope with most problems I see others using it for but with my advancing age, a 50 year old trailer, and a half million mile truck finally decided to spring the bucks
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
After reading many threads I went with Good Sam. I can't comment on whether it is good or not because it hasn't been put to the test

I initially started to buy it through Camping World as their price looked a buck or two better but they wanted to charge sales tax so I bought it direct from Good Sam.

It seems too take a week or so to get it set up so don't put it off till the day before you leave

I have never had RV road service before as I have always been able to cope with most problems I see others using it for but with my advancing age, a 50 year old trailer, and a half million mile truck finally decided to spring the bucks
Good choice, you won't be sorry. Used them twice, they went way out of their way to help!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
My only experience with Good Sam is having a blow out on the interstate near Arkadelphia, AR at 4:30 PM on a Saturday in 2010. I phoned Good Sam and they said it would be at least 2 hours before they could get someone out to assist. With that much time, I was able to get the spare on even though it was on the traffic side of the Airstream and traffic was wizzing by at 70 MPH just a couple feet away. AAA has always been much more responsive.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
AAA are “regional clubs” and may/may not offer RV service in a “region” regardless of which policy you have with them.
Example; AAA New England offers no RV coverage of any kind. If you are travelling in New England, and need service for your RV plus TV…you will be out of luck. They will, of course, come get your TV…but your AS will sit where it is. This is not easy info to find in their literature, call your “regional’ office and ask. I was with AAA for many years and assumed I had coverage. When I was made aware of this, I called AAA New England and found this to be true. I was reluctant to leave AAA as they had always been dependable, but felt we had no choice as I would not want to leave one of our RV’s by the road side. If your “regional” chapter offers RV coverage, and you never leave your “region”, then you are all set. We tend to wander around the country.

GS covers all vehicles.We switched to GS several year ago, have used them twice (DW had a couple of minor accidents) one time response was very slow, the second time was much quicker. Read their policy, they will come get you anytime, any where. Very little restrictions with GS.

Regardless of who you use for coverage, response time will be dependant on the local provider (tow company).

Check your AAA policy…you may be VERY surpised.
So far, so good with GS…and all our vehicles are covered.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
We have Good Sam. It covers all our vehicles and RV. Yes, we get a lot of junk mail but our experience with GS has been positive. Had a flat tire on the Airstream. We called GS and they advised us that a mechanic would be there in 30 minutes. GS called back in 35 minutes to make sure the mechanic had arrived. Service was timely and efficient.

Our traveling friend had tow vehicle problems. He had to hike a huge hill to get phone reception only to be told by AAA that their office didn't service that respective district. AAA gave our friend another number for AAA to call. Good thing his phone was charged and his call wasn't dropped.

Have stayed with Good Sam.
TAC OH-12
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
79 Airstream Excella

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Norfolk , Virginia
Good Sam Experience "VERY GOOD"

I have had GS for about 6 years now. Had some fuel System problems in "GA" and in "AL". Called GS was out in the middle of no where - It did take some time for them to get a large enough wrecker to me. But they loaded me up and delivered me to a RV certified mech. I have had AAA also but not with an RV. They where always pretty good too.
TR6RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
We have used Good Sam several times over the years. They always came and found us. Once when there was no one in their local directory they contacted a shop to come get us. That's great service.

I do not receive much email from them. Make sure you check the boxes that say you do not want to be contacted.

After ensuring that mail is not a renewal I toss it.

There are worse things than junk mail.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
AAA are “regional clubs” and may/may not offer RV service in a “region” regardless of which policy you have with them.
Example; AAA New England offers no RV coverage of any kind. If you are travelling in New England, and need service for your RV plus TV…you will be out of luck. They will, of course, come get your TV…but your AS will sit where it is. This is not easy info to find in their literature, call your “regional’ office and ask. I was with AAA for many years and assumed I had coverage.....

BillTex's experience is nearly identical to mine. It took me quite a bit of research to find this out. After contacting AAA on a local, regional, and national level, I found the levels of coverage varied depending on location. I had AAA RV Plus for several years before I switched to Good Sam for this reason. Each has their advantages, but if you do a lot of traveling, this is something you may want to consider.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
We have Good Sam ERS for the motorhome. The one time we needed them for battery problems (my fault) they were very timely and had us back on the road fast from a rest area in the middle of nowhere.

As far as junk mail we use to recieve a lot from them and I simply called and requested 'no mailings' and that put an end to it.

Never tried AAA.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
if you fly into a city somewhere away from home, and rent a car for a week, does Good Sam cover you for any part of that?