Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Financing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I was a trailer traveler anyway, so getting the AS prior to retirement was just a natural progression.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter1 View Post
We currently own a 2014 Minnie Winnie travel trailer, I would love to buy an airstream, but the wife doesn't think we can afford it. I really believe they are built to last. I am tire of this fake wood and fiberglass materials, it seem that everything is so cheap. Are you really happy with your airstream?

Thank you,
Kennedy>>
Just keep poking around on the forums and you will find a gazillion threads on that topic. With care and proper maintenance they will far outlast most other RVs. Mine is 45 years old, we are usually the oldest trailer in any campground we stop at. Unless we're at an Airstream rally!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #23
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
This is a meaty thread, and good to read about other streamer fiscal rationale.

Time is value. And stuff is overhead. In order to keep that in check, I have to remember to charge myself for time spent working on projects. I kind of run my inventory like a prison warden - one item comes in, one has to leave. If a restored unit sits and I don't drive it, at six months it's decision-time. That part is a mental thing that keeps me from turning into an overhead hoarder.

It took a series of quarterly discussions, and some saving-planning, to save enough to leverage only enough for the coach so that we can use it for "entertainment" now, then a longer-term home for traveling in a half-decade. It'll be paid-off, and, I hope, recurring service and repair maintenance will remain at a manageable threshold. It was a factor to have found a new trailer that was a year old, and offered at a significant discount.

Then we just said "what the heck"....carpe diem.
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
We currently own a 2014 Minnie Winnie travel trailer, I would love to buy an airstream, but the wife doesn't think we can afford it. I really believe they are built to last. I am tire of this fake wood and fiberglass materials, it seem that everything is so cheap. Are you really happy with your airstream?

Thank you,
Kennedy>>
Am I really happy with my Airstream? I shopped for a long time with the intent of purchasing a small motorhome. I had rented such campers and liked them. After visiting the Tampa Super RV show a few times I believe I made the right choice for my camping goals. Now, as far as new purchasing and price points, I would have to reset and rethink. If I were spending $100K I would probably consider something else. I like Airstream. It is modern and I agree with the overall concept of less is best and being able to tow easily is important to me. I purchased it for a summer nomad getaway home. There are SOME features of AS that are higher quality and some that are not- the same industry materials. If it were for full timing, I would either want to go bigger or get a class A- at least that is what I believe at this point but note that I speak from limited experience. As far as brand, I believe that Airstream is one of a few quality brands of RVs out there. I believe that you have to still be careful with ANY brand and, every one surely has its issues, some more serious than others. Airstreams have to have rivets checked, edges sealed, etc but supposedly they do last. I hope this is true of the newer ones too. I will say that when I purchased and have upgraded I have done it as a project for life. I am perplexed at the number who buy new every couple years a product that is supposed to last. I guess that is their business, and money though.

Just in the three months since I commented on this thread, I had to move my AS to a different storage facility with a hefty cost for enclosed parking. I am still on a limited camping schedule with my semi-retirement in a year and a half away. I am different than many on this issue as I am a single income family. It is quite an expense to have a camper-in-waiting. I went to a retirement/life planner and got mixed messages so I hit the cruise control button and keep on keepin on! All in all, the answer of happiness depends on use. Are you happy with your Winnie other than build materials? Even in AS the different trim levels offer varying quality. For me, I have upgraded everything that was important to me, in some cases exceeding even new AS - with my 32" SMART LED, Flash Oven, etc. but naturally it is still basically what it started out being. Contentment in a retail product is fleeting. There will always be something missing or a new improved gadget not included on the one we have. I try to weigh what those somethings are and consider if it really matters in what I want to do. I often fail miserably, giving in to the market. Other times I play it smart and realize that it is not really needed. The budget also puts things into perspective! Remember too that minnie winnies new are advertised at $20- $30K (before discount) with slides, etc. What AS could be had for that? The question is, what does the $20-$30K camping budget look like? AS is about twice that new.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I think the one thing coming over the hill to "get" Airstream might just be the Oliver. It's a fiberglass egg built like a yacht. Aside from the fact that it's only a 22 footer, it's a four season camper!

Paula
Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter1 View Post

Thank you,
Kennedy>>
I have a 2015 Coleman TT 1975 Airstream Sovereign and a 1981 Airstream Excella II. We use the Coleman for camping until I can get done with the AS. We used our 1975 for a couple of years after we bought it, then tore it down for a rehab. Unfortunately work changes as does life and the AS is still torn down, but I am getting closer to being able to free up time to work on it. We looked at getting a gently used AS that was in better shape, but couldn't find anything in the price range of the Coleman. I still love my Airstream and want it back on the road. The 1981 won't go back on the road for a variety of reasons, but will live out it's final years as a guest cottage on our farm.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #27
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I think the one thing coming over the hill to "get" Airstream might just be the Oliver. It's a fiberglass egg built like a yacht. Aside from the fact that it's only a 22 footer, it's a four season camper!

Paula

That thing looks pretty slick. Not real sure about the fiberglass interior though... Wonder if they'd let me test camp one for them.
-Red
Old 10-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Not to get off topic but I will. I think the Casita 17 is a better trailer for the money. There is an active forum with lots of help and advise. They hold their value too. I started with a Casita before our Airstream. I miss the simplicity of that trailer sometimes compared to my Airstream but I wanted something bigger. The only fiberglass trailer that is Castia-like and larger is the Bigfoot line of trailers but they are far and few between.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tupelo , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Not to get off topic but I will. I think the Casita 17 is a better trailer for the money. There is an active forum with lots of help and advise. They hold their value too.

The only problem with the Casita vs Oliver comparison is that it is like comparing an Airstream to a Shasta. They are simply not in the same class. Just because they're made of the same material does not make them equal.

As for Casita's holding their value, I sold my first Oliver for more than I paid for it. I challenge anyone to find a Casita that brings more used than it cost new.
Scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Wow, this has certainly been educational. My head is swimming. I did pick up some points, tho.

I have way too many toys, and not nearly enough money.

I'm still buying toys as tho they are some sort of sexual gratification.

I have toys that I do not use/play with often, so they should go.

My mother dressed me funny as a kid, and my wife still buys me funny clothes.

I was quite happy with my situation until I started reading this thread.

It's OK, I don't have much time left on this world, and "He who dies with the most toys wins". I've got to get busy.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Oh yeah, did I mention that my cigar budget would support a small third world nation?

Love you guys.
terryV
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote