Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Looking for advice on a listing.

This looks interesting:

Airstream Trailer

Seeing that it has a deck built next to it, maybe it hasn't seen a lot of travel. What should I look for besides tire rot and leaks?

The price would put me in an AS a lot sooner, but I'm concerned about renovation costs. If it's going to cost me $40k to make it usable, I might as well wait.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It needs a right front lower segment.
Where's the air conditioner?
Where's the awning?
It's a center double.What does the bedroom area look like> There are no pictures.
It's a rear bath. Check the very rear edge of the floor for rot.
Check the front floor under the couch for rot.
Does the fridge work?
You will almost certainly need new axles for it, especially if it has sat in that location for more than a couple of years. Lack of use ruins them fairly quickly.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It's in Canada, so no awning or A/C may be original. Pacific NW doesn't bode well for possible leaks & floor rot, but the tongue has been recently painted, and the Airstream isn't covered in green algae, so there has been some maintenance performed. Of course, that could be "selling it" clean up.

What Terry advised is what he's learned from owning several vintage Airstreams, so it's golden info.

$9K Canadian... seems a bit high to me especially as you may want/need an A/C and an awning.

Paula
Old 10-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
It here on Vancouver Island where I live its about 3 hours north of me. It's been listed for a while its been on Used Victoria since early summer an I am kind of wondering why it hasn't sold yet. I'd bet you could get the price down a ways.

One thing I can tell you is the trailers here hold up great, so long as someone is keeping an eye on them for maintenance issues. Out of my three trailers 2 of them have completely solid no rot original floors, at 40 and 50 years old respectively...My 69 has some pretty good rot but she was also missing two windows for a few years. We are rebuilding her right now :-)

There's no AC on it just as there aren't on most trailers in this neck of the woods, we like to keep the temperature just right here. It's 4 season camping land on the island in our airstreams.

There is a pretty descent looking on on Used Victoria right now for 10 grand. I actually knocked on their door to chat with them about it a few months ago but no one was home. It wasn't for sale then, it just popped up for sale a couple weeks ago. I just bought a third trailer last month so I am being a good girl and not going to look.

here the ones on Used Victoria right now:
this one is the I stopped by to try to talk to the owner about
27ft with an awning, body looked great from the curb
1973 airstream land yacht Saanich, Victoria

Here's a nut bar with a shell for the same price
29' Air Stream West Shore: Langford,Colwood,Metchosin,Highlands, Victoria

And here's a what the hell did they do to that poor airstream for 15 grand
AIRSTREAM FOOD TRAILER Outside Victoria, Victoria

I am listed as an inspector if anyone is interested in me popping by
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for all the info. Is it possible to add an AC to an AS that doesn't have one?

I hope to always go to places where I won't need one, but you occasionally find yourself in a heatwave.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
I am pretty certain you can add them, but I'very never had the need or desire to add one so I have never looked in to how it's done...anyone else know?
Old 10-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
AC goes on through a hole in the roof. It just needs 120 volt power from inside. Mine had an AC. My blog shows how I installed mine. I had help getting the old one off the roof. I installed the new one myself. Pretty easy.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
The second picture shows an A/C shroud at the top. Probably original Armstrong, and repairable. Fridge looks original, and if it is, plan on replacing. Hot water tank original? You can spend $5K very quickly. Tires & axles, plumbing, replacing light covers, and a lot of little things can also add up very fast. Been there, done that, with my 1976. Chris
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
It was a different listing at $9,000 up island he was mentioning the lack of an AC. The one with the AC is one I have seen locally that just came up for 10. For a grand more it has the awning and AC. When I went up to knock last month to try to see it I noticed it is a house with kids so that is generally a good sign that the unit sees regular use. It has been at the house for about three years, not sure if it was a new purchase to them at that time or if they moved in to the neighbourhood.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
If you are in the USA and going to buy in Canada make sure you understand what's involved in bringing it to WA and titling it. There are fees at the border and then you will also have to pay sales tax in WA state. It can be quite expensive. You would need an AWESOME deal to make up for the import hassle, ferry crossing and extra costs, imo.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote