Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #21
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Two issues with the International decor (which we had on our previous unit) is that it can seem very dark inside, especially when you're inside on a rainy day or at a time of year when it gets dark early. Alternatively, the light "oyster" color finish on upholstery didn't seem too practical for a couple of hikers and a dog.

The light, warm tan/camel colour of the FC is just a lot more homey and cozy.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #22
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
International Serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Two issues with the International decor (which we had on our previous unit) is that it can seem very dark inside, especially when you're inside on a rainy day or at a time of year when it gets dark early. Alternatively, the light "oyster" color finish on upholstery didn't seem too practical for a couple of hikers and a dog.

The light, warm tan/camel colour of the FC is just a lot more homey and cozy.
There are two decors available on the International - the Signature, which is dark and the Serenity which is light. Our new International Serenity with Salsa upholstery is very light and cheerful - especially with the Vista-view window.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Serenity 25RB - Dinette 3.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	282328
Old 03-31-2017, 02:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
All the feedback is appreciated! I own an International Signature 25FB with light interior and love it. It is a member of our family, so much so that it was the catalyst for us to sell our last home and built a new one with an RV bay as part of the garage. My son (6yrs at time of purchase) named "her" HaRVey. We'll likely never sell but HaRVey is owned by my company and I have to pay property tax on her every year based on the value. Based on what I'm seeing, she is not depreciating very much off what I paid but there are almost no for sale comparisons to go off of.

The intent of my question was to get to the bottom of why there were so many FC's available though. When we were Airstream shopping we were intending to buy and FC initially but did not end up being a big fan of the interior. Someone above mentioned it was an IKEA looking interior which for my wife was a problem not a benefit.

The Intl Serenity was her choice; I just didn't like the somewhat Oriental feel (no offense) it had. Can't remember why that was... interior glass with bamboo etched on it?

For me it was the Intl Signature with light interior all the way. We were concerned with the cushions staining or being hard to keep up with... not at all. Everything cleans right off it. It's unreal.

Back to the point: I never even asked price on the FC but assumed it was in line with the other two and I was just choosing decor and layout. So it sounds like everyone is saying the FC is higher in production numbers and less expensive. Based on the amount for sale though, I'd say that production level is about 10:1 and it may well be. Of note though, if that's the case, the listed pricing certainly doesn't reflect a lower value. In fact I PAID about as much for mine as many are asking for their two year old FC 25.

Does anyone know if there is a source for values on Airstreams? I'd love to be able to pay less property tax on HaRVey but based on used value asking prices, the Tax Man is lower than market!

Thanks again all.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I still love our International Signature and would never consider a Flying Cloud. In the 28', there are the two additional vista view windows instead of the overhead bins above the dinette. It therefore feels more open and spacious. Same thing with have the open dinette instead of it being boxed in at the bottom. This also helps give a more open feel as do the plex doors on the overhead storage areas with the lights.

I'm sad to see the move to the cream colored laminate on the overhead cabinets on the more recent years instead of the white. It really looses some of the crisp look that myself and others that I know that own one with the white cabinets really prefer it too.

Otherwise, International Signatures are the only models left that have a more modern, sleek decor since the Land Yacht and the Sterlings are no longer being made. It is definitely a concern to see that there are rumors that the 19' Internationals might be discontinued for '18. It seems the days might be numbered. If so, my next one will probably be a custom built since I have no interest in having one that looks like grandma's condo.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #25
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
I still love our International Signature and would never consider a Flying Cloud. In the 28', there are the two additional vista view windows instead of the overhead bins above the dinette. It therefore feels more open and spacious. Same thing with have the open dinette instead of it being boxed in at the bottom. This also helps give a more open feel as do the plex doors on the overhead storage areas with the lights.

I'm sad to see the move to the cream colored laminate on the overhead cabinets on the more recent years instead of the white. It really looses some of the crisp look that myself and others that I know that own one with the white cabinets really prefer it too.

Otherwise, International Signatures are the only models left that have a more modern, sleek decor since the Land Yacht and the Sterlings are no longer being made. It is definitely a concern to see that there are rumors that the 19' Internationals might be discontinued for '18. It seems the days might be numbered. If so, my next one will probably be a custom built since I have no interest in having one that looks like grandma's condo.
Airstream central in Ohio has a list of prices of their different models over the years. I suspect your nearest AS dealer has it on line, as well: we've occasionally asked ours about the book trade-in value of ours.

It seems like the decor is largely a matter of personal taste and camping style. I'm on-line now in our Flying Cloud and still like the "mustard yellow" a lot. We've been camping since 3/20 and will be out for another 10 days or so, with no complaints about the warm, bright interior.

Hey, we're camping-- lately in the desert, where an interior that doesn't show all the dirt while looking decently clean is an advantage.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

An update: Factory new sticker price on a Flying Cloud 25FB is $81,200. On the Intl Sig 25FB its $85,600. That rules out the price point explanation of why there are more for sale. The only two theories left are that the production numbers are higher and there are more out there or that people are disappointed with them and sell them.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #27
Montyshaul

Currently Looking...
Suffolk , Virginia
Having just moved up from a 23' International Signature to a 28' Flying cloud, I think I can speak to the differences between these two lines. There is a noticeable difference in quality related to the faucets. The Moens in our International were things I took for granted until we didn't have them. They will be added to our Flying Cloud this fall. The solid surface counter top in the International was nice but honestly, the pattern is so much more subtle in the FC vs the Serenity and yet had a little design that was nice compared to our Signature. As others have pointed out, it bugged me that AS didn't also use solid surfaces in the bathrooms and dinettes. After three years of being able to see every box, shirt or other item through the frosted cabinets, I appreciate the FC solid, European doors. As a 5'3" woman, I also appreciate being able to see everything I store in the overhead cabinets. The depth of the cabinets in the International prevented full view as we found out once when a left bagel was discovered 3 weeks later. Not good for keeping rodents and bugs out!! When it came time to move up in size, we ordered a Globetrotter, then changed the order to a Serenity and then ultimately canceled that order and found just the right Flying Cloud for us on the lot. We couldn't be happier! It's bright, beautiful and just spacious enough that we easily entertain in it and never really want our trips to end! Hope this helps others on the fence. BTW, we sold the International for a profit but it is our belief from all who were interested that it had more to do with the size and how well we maintained it than the finishes themselves.
Tlmontam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Although I'd love Corian countertops, it wasn't worth $10K.
What really turned me off was the plastic cabinet doors.
I hate dinettes, so the 26U was my choice, and it was only in a FC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlmontam View Post
The Moens in our International were things I took for granted until we didn't have them.
I think my FC fixtures are Moen.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
FC vs INT

We looked for 2 years at every brand on the market before deciding to pony up for an Airstream. We settle on a 2017 Int. Serenity 23D with Oyster Ultra leather. We like the light interior walls and Euro feel. We stuck with the 23 because we wanted something not to big to lug around. 15k miles so far and happy with it. We are spending 4 months this winter at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, Fl. If we like it there for extended visits we will probably get a Flying Cloud 30 rear bed twin to leave there year round. The Flying cloud is a great trailer and at 30 feet the much lighter Int. Serenity interior is not as important. Great Airstreams, both of them. I am pretty handy so any thing we want to change I can accomplish. We will keep our International to travel in as we think it is the best size for what we do. Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Has anyone else noticed that there are always a ton of Flying Clouds for sale but very few International Signatures? Out of 7 pages of listings I only found two Intl Sig listings. Maybe they're less expensive and higher production so there's just more out there? Maybe they're junk!

I prefer the Flying Cloud. I like the storage cabinets that are like those on a Passenger Jet. Never had a problem with them.

We purchase off the inventory at the Dealer's Lot and the 25' FC had been towed in the Winter and had a lot of rust and corrosion. It also had the Solar Panel.

The 25' International may be a bit flashier on the Interior, but the sliding upper cabinet doors are not prone to stay in their grooves when Mountain Boondocking.

If someone likes the back lit storage with sliding doors and color scheme... great.

The fewer moving parts within the interior works best for us. It is just a matter of personal preference and eye appeal. By adding lipstick on an Airstream may be attractive to the eye... give me simple and I am one happy camper.

We sold our 23 foot Safari (Flying Cloud today), not because of the looks, but the larger refrigerator in the 25 foot and longer trailers in 2014, 15" wheels and the bed size and access.

By changing the model names frequently, no one can keep track of what use to be what. A Safari or Flying Cloud is a fine Airstream.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlmontam View Post
As a 5'3" woman, I also appreciate being able to see everything I store in the overhead cabinets. The depth of the cabinets in the International prevented full view as we found out once when a left bagel was discovered 3 weeks later. Not good for keeping rodents and bugs out!!

So glad to hear that others have had this problem! How about 3 month old oranges? Or 2 month old donuts! No bugs, no rodents though somehow.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
, I also appreciate being able to see everything I store in the overhead cabinets. The depth of the cabinets in the International prevented full view as we found out once when a left bagel was discovered 3 weeks later.

I wondered where I left my bagel
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
We moved from a 28 FC to a 27FB Int’l Sig. Greatly prefer the layout of the 27 and the upgraded interior of the Sig ages much better than the FC IMHO. I’m on the fence about the sliding cabinet doors. But the Formica of the FC felt cheap compared to Corian. Good news is that you can easily upgrade countertops, floors and fixtures for much less than trading up to the higher trim. Bad news for pre-2015 is you can’t upgrade to ducted AC, and cost prohibitive to upgrade cabinet finish or layout.

Any AS is a treat. Guessing that lots of folks start with a FC to control the cost of an already expensive trailer, and if they upgrade it is usually for size and layout, and adding higher cost model isn’t material so their 2nd AS ends up being an International or a Classic, and they don’t need to resell a second time.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #34
Rivet Master

The 23 would have been fine for us. But no ducted AC and that roof unit is loud. The 25FB layout I thought was the best of all worlds and I thought the extra space added to the closet and kitchen cabinet weren't enough to justify the 27. In hindsight, the bed layout of the 27 would have been better and I kid of wish I'd sprung for it... that, and the ironically lower tongue weight.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master

The sliding cabinet doors are a little cheesy. They look nice when on a showroom with backlights but as soon as you fill the cabinets with stuff, it's just ugly. Mine are scratched now though and one of the finger hole slides popped out and disappeared.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #36
Rivet Master

I do think the Intl Sig interior, fan of it or not, is "timeless" and won't ever go out of style. How many blonde wood cabinets are going into new construction houses now...? They truly nailed the interior in the Globetrotter though.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Long Live the Signature

Quote:
I do think the Intl Sig interior, fan of it or not, is "timeless" and won't ever go out of style. How many blonde wood are going into new construction houses now...? They truly nailed the interior in the Globetrotter though.

Just like everything else, it all comes down to personal preference but I never walked into any Airstream and liked the interior as much as the Signature, complete with expresso ultraleather. Hickory cabinets in pre '15 Classics are a close 2nd.

Remember the first time I opened the door on my Sig, like it was yesterday, couldn't believe it was mine. I still like it as much now as I did when bought new in 2013. Only thing I would put in it's place is a 25 footer rear twin just like it or possibly a Globetrotter 25 when they move the twins to the back. Not a fan of front beds for some reason.

As for not being able to see the bottom of the cabinets, a $10. step stool fixes that for me.

Stream on in whatever interior you have !
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
For us, getting the IS was the exercise in the learning of a lesson. Fourteen years ago, we bought a new pickup. We didn't get the 'leather package', because it seemed to be an unnecessary expense.

We now regret it. The cloth is hard to clean, and the things that would have come with it would... You get the picture.

We initially looked at a Flying Cloud, but ended up with an International Serenity, because we learned that we needed to 'get the leather', because we will be living with it for so long. The upgrades in the simple things have been worth it, so far.

The view into the overhead cabinets is easy to solve, from my television production background. A Half Apple Box. I got one for my wife as a step to get into bed. They stay put on the IS floor.

...for some reason, i can't insert a link tonight. I'll try again, next time I'm on.

SG
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have had 4 AS's now, including 06' 25' Safari Limited, 08' 25' Safari, 14' 25' FC, and now a 17' 28' FC. Love the simplicity of the FC models and price point. Some of you pinpoint the issues with the sliding door cabinets on International models; that was an issue with us also; I like the access of the cabinets in the FC when the doors are opened; you can see/get to everything without having to maneuver around the sliding doors of the International models. Also, we liked the color scheme of the FC better....and note the 28' FC model has 2 extra cabinets above the dinning area, not offered with the International models for some reason...they have 2 oval windows above the big dinning windows instead...cabinet space/storage is precious. For the price difference of a FC vs International model, you could easily replace the Formica with Corian, if that's your cup of tea... And, as we have learned, never say "this is my last AS"! We went thru several before finding the must haves, like twin beds which offer more dressing room, sleeping surface, and outside storage....now if I can just get AS to make a 25' with the 26' U dinning I think I will be happy going back to a 25'!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
So glad to hear that others have had this problem! How about 3 month old oranges? Or 2 month old donuts! No bugs, no rodents though somehow.
Well at 6' 4 I really apriciated the sliding doors on our previous International Sgn. Now I constantly bang my head into the open cabinet doors on our Classic.
My wife will open one, walk away I turn around and bang, another lump.
I wish they would offer either option on all models.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote