Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Micro Pulse Systems Monitor

Today is a good day. I've had a problem with my Micro Pulse system because the light on the panel for the gray water will not come on at all. I believe I read someplace(maybe on this forum) that the company that makes it is out of business so I thought I'd have to spend a cool $800 or so to get someone to install a new system of another brand. But after doing some research I found that the Micro Pulse people are alive and well and living in Texas.
I emailed them and they had me send my sensor panel to them to repair or replace as they see fit. I sent the unit out yesterday and I should have it back sometime next week.
Here is their web address:
CATCON Products |Home

P.S. They also sell some parts online if you want to go that route.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Airstream changed to See Level tank monitoring systems in 2015. We replaced the Micro Pulse in our 2014 Classic with a 714 See Level this year as the Micro Pulse failed to operate with any accuracy several times after recalibration. Our new digital tank display is above the WWII ship's clock in my avatar.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm still stuck with my Micropulse but it seems to be working well enough to keep it. I figured the easiest way to recalibrate it is to disconnect the other two tanks while I calibrate the target tank. I could never isolate one tank according to their procedure. I also calibrate while on the battery and not shore power. I use an inline water meter to determine how many gallons to put in a tank for empty reading. I figure 5 gallons for my 25fb tanks. Then fill the tank up to within 2 or 3 gallons of being full for the full reading. Finish the calibration and then move onto the next tank.

In my 25fb the RJ11 wires come down from the monitor panel near the water pump. The RJ11 wires from each tank come up from below in the same place. They are connected together with an RJII extension adapter. The wires are color coded white for fresh, black for black tank and gray for gray tank. Just unclip the leads of the tanks you don't want calibrated. If the panel can't see a tank sensor it skips it during calibration.

Its too bad Airstream didn't design service accessibility in changing out the sensors on my model. Would have to take the power saw to my holding tank covers to swap out he sensors or to replace them with a SeeLevel sensor.

Kelvin
Old 11-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
SeeLevel sensors are attached externally to the skin of the tank. We left the MicroPulse probes in the tanks. We did have to drop the sheet metal covers to gain access to the black and gray tank sides.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
just tracking this thread...........
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
My Micropulse fresh water always showed full, then empty, then nothing for the last year. Gray water registers if it's not too cold or too hot. Black registers sometimes, if it's in the mood. I'm happy if the gray shows. I figure if the fresh water is out it's time to get the 5 gallon can out and go get some more. Life goes on
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Airstream stared the changeover in 2014 models and of course in the Eddie Bauer model. Or 2014 unfortunately came with Micropulse and after a year of re calibrating and complaining my dealership got the go ahead to change to the See Level on Airstream's dime. What a difference. Well worth changing. The technician who did the work said that Airstream has a system worked out that enabled a daily straight forward swap without having to cut a bunch of new access holes.
Sure is great to have the accuracy for boondocking.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
The monitor panel on our 75 Overlander consumes a huge amount of space. Maybe I'll do an upgrade.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
The micropulse on my 2013 flying cloud never really worked reliably. I contacted the factory and they sent me the recalibration instructions. Recalibration works for a few weeks and then it's way off the mark. The dealer was not much better. I just learned to live with no tank monitors.
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I posted the info I found just to help anyone else who might have a problem and not know who to contact about it. I contacted Airstream couldn't even a good answer from their service dept. The guy I talked to didn't have a clue. He suggested I go to a local dealership.

I look at it like this, contacting Catcon and letting them fix my panel saves me from a lot of extra work if I would do a complete system changeover myself or shelling out a lot of money to buy a new system and have it installed, so I'll work with Catcon to resolve my problem. I like the fact that they have stood behind their product with me. They asked for no money and said they will repair or fix the panel free of charge. That was music to my ears as a new panel would cost me at least $125. There may be better systems out there but I'll give these guys a chance first.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I'm still stuck with my Micropulse but it seems to be working well enough to keep it. I figured the easiest way to recalibrate it is to disconnect the other two tanks while I calibrate the target tank. I could never isolate one tank according to their procedure. I also calibrate while on the battery and not shore power. I use an inline water meter to determine how many gallons to put in a tank for empty reading. I figure 5 gallons for my 25fb tanks. Then fill the tank up to within 2 or 3 gallons of being full for the full reading. Finish the calibration and then move onto the next tank.

In my 25fb the RJ11 wires come down from the monitor panel near the water pump. The RJ11 wires from each tank come up from below in the same place. They are connected together with an RJII extension adapter. The wires are color coded white for fresh, black for black tank and gray for gray tank. Just unclip the leads of the tanks you don't want calibrated. If the panel can't see a tank sensor it skips it during calibration.

Its too bad Airstream didn't design service accessibility in changing out the sensors on my model. Would have to take the power saw to my holding tank covers to swap out he sensors or to replace them with a SeeLevel sensor.

Kelvin

Kelvin,
Thanks for the information. I may need it if I run into a problem on the calibration when I get the panel back from the shop.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I got the repaired panel back from Catcon. There was nothing wrong with it except that the switch for the tanks was not working properly. They replaced it but also sent me a replacement tank sensor(free) for my gray tank as they think that may be the problem.
I have all the wires hooked back up except for the RJ11 at the back of the panel for the gray tank. I had to get a new RJ11 connector as the original one is broken.
So at this point I don't know what has caused the light on the gray tank to not work.
Once I replace the connector, and if it doesn't solve the light problem then I'll need to find the sensor on the tank and replace it.
Can anybody tell me where to look for it on the gray tank? I have a 2010 27' front bed model.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:27 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I got the repaired panel back from Catcon. There was nothing wrong with it except that the switch for the tanks was not working properly. They replaced it but also sent me a replacement tank sensor(free) for my gray tank as they think that may be the problem.
I have all the wires hooked back up except for the RJ11 at the back of the panel for the gray tank. I had to get a new RJ11 connector as the original one is broken.
So at this point I don't know what has caused the light on the gray tank to not work.
Once I replace the connector, and if it doesn't solve the light problem then I'll need to find the sensor on the tank and replace it.
Can anybody tell me where to look for it on the gray tank? I have a 2010 27' front bed model.
The sensor should be on the pipe from the grey tank to the valve, just before the valve.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Plug the new connector into the monitor panel before you think about installing it to see if the monitor. Plug it into the gray telephone wire near the water pump under the fridge. Turn on the monitor and see if it shows a light.

If your gray and black tanks are like mine they are supported by the sheet metal covers under the trailer. Might be easier to cut an access panel in the sheet metal between the tanks

Kelvin
Old 12-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Terry and Kelvin,
Thank you both for your timely answers. I hope to get at this again over the weekend and I will let you know what I found. I have an inspection plate near the sewer drains from a previous problem with the black water valve so I may be in luck and not have to cut a new one in the bottom to find the sensor. But first, I'll plug the new sensor in near the water pump, as Kelvin mentioned, just to see if I have continuity.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm wondering if the gray LED never comes on even a bad sensor the LED would show a different color to indicate no sensor. When I disconnect my sensors to calibrate one tank the monitor will display amber or red LED for the disconnected sensors.

Kelvin
Old 12-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I looked for every work-around and fix for these poorly engineered systems for 4 years. I recommend ending the frustration and effort and going straight to the SeeLevel.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
I also fought the Micropulse nightmare for the two years of my warranty period. Near the end I fought until it was replaced with a SeeLevel system. The Micropulse NEVER worked properly while the SeeLevel has worked flawlessly for a year and a half.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Rich, you and Zymurbrian are telling me exactly what I don't want to hear.
Ha,ha!
I'm still hoping that my Micro is the one that's different and that I can still salvage it!
I guess we'll find out soon enough and I may have to ask you guys and Switz for install pointers on a SeeLevel system.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Rich, you and Zymurbrian are telling me exactly what I don't want to hear.
Ha,ha!
I'm still hoping that my Micro is the one that's different and that I can still salvage it!
I guess we'll find out soon enough and I may have to ask you guys and Switz for install pointers on a SeeLevel system.
Whenever you are ready! (And I am confident you will be ready sooner rather than later....)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote