Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-19-2022, 02:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
steilkurve's Avatar
 
2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 575
T-Taps

Do folks reco them in our traveling/shaking tin cans to tap into an existing 12V wire? Do they hold? Thanks!
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 13,695
Hi

Depends a lot on what you are doing. For putting in another LED light on a lamp circuit they do ok. Worst that can happen is the light goes out. For the brakes, having them hang out in the muck under the trailer .... nope ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
steilkurve's Avatar
 
2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Depends a lot on what you are doing. For putting in another LED light on a lamp circuit they do ok. Worst that can happen is the light goes out. For the brakes, having them hang out in the muck under the trailer .... nope ...

Bob
Thanks Bob. This would be to feed a cellular router so inside, tucked away in a cabinet. I assume based on your post that would be an acceptable application.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:48 PM   #4
Site Team
 
richard5933's Avatar

 
1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,224
Images: 4
They work, usually.

But in the process they often cut a few (or more) strands of wire in the wire being tapped. This leads to lower capacity and and increased likelihood of future wire breaks.

I keep a couple in my tool box but save them for emergency repairs which will be redone later on.
__________________
Richard
11018
1994 Excella 25 Follow the build on Gertie!
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
steilkurve's Avatar
 
2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
They work, usually.

But in the process they often cut a few (or more) strands of wire in the wire being tapped. This leads to lower capacity and and increased likelihood of future wire breaks.

I keep a couple in my tool box but save them for emergency repairs which will be redone later on.
Ok. Good advice. Thanks.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:49 PM   #6
Site Team
 
richard5933's Avatar

 
1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,224
Images: 4
Soldering is the old-school way of tapping into an existing wire. If you're good with a soldering iron and the wire is in an accessible location it is an option.


I just did a little searching to see if there are upgraded or better options for than the old T-taps. I found these:


https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html


Never used the before, but they do look like a great upgrade from the style which uses pliers to run the metal guillotine on the wires. Looks like they're available at Amazon and other similar places.


Here's a video from Crutchfield showing them in use:



__________________
Richard
11018
1994 Excella 25 Follow the build on Gertie!
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
steilkurve's Avatar
 
2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Soldering is the old-school way of tapping into an existing wire. If you're good with a soldering iron and the wire is in an accessible location it is an option.


I just did a little searching to see if there are upgraded or better options for than the old T-taps. I found these:


https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html


Never used the before, but they do look like a great upgrade from the style which uses pliers to run the metal guillotine on the wires. Looks like they're available at Amazon and other similar places.


Here's a video from Crutchfield showing them in use:



Thanks for this. Seems like a sturdier option than the old guillotine ones. Appreciate it.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:20 PM   #8
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Bothell , Washington
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 1
I've used a lot of these in a larger size on an outdoor low voltage lighting system. You might want to add shrink wrap on the male end to secure the wire even more when you screw these down. It is possible that the wire can pull out with a bit of tension ~ unless you feel that no tension will ever be applied to that wire.
KPD67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
steilkurve's Avatar
 
2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD67 View Post
I've used a lot of these in a larger size on an outdoor low voltage lighting system. You might want to add shrink wrap on the male end to secure the wire even more when you screw these down. It is possible that the wire can pull out with a bit of tension ~ unless you feel that no tension will ever be applied to that wire.
Well, not a lot of intentional pulling but itíll obviously be subject to the constant road vibrations. Smart idea to shrink wrap on top of it.

Ordered a few. I shall try! Thanks again.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:36 AM   #10
Site Team
 
richard5933's Avatar

 
1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,224
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Well, not a lot of intentional pulling but itíll obviously be subject to the constant road vibrations. Smart idea to shrink wrap on top of it.

Ordered a few. I shall try! Thanks again.
Please post a followup. I'm curious to see how they perform in a real-world situation.

Now if only we could find a way to totally shrink wrap a T-fitting...
__________________
Richard
11018
1994 Excella 25 Follow the build on Gertie!
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 13,695
Hi

If you are looking for alternatives, this is one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
steilkurve's Avatar
 
2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Please post a followup. I'm curious to see how they perform in a real-world situation.

Now if only we could find a way to totally shrink wrap a T-fitting...
Will do!
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:47 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
vintage6t's Avatar
 
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
South Windsor , CT
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post

Now if only we could find a way to totally shrink wrap a T-fitting...
Wrapping the fitting in self fusing Silicone tape will provide some strain relief as well as a moisture barrier.
vintage6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

 
2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are looking for alternatives, this is one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob
I use the WAGO lever nuts quite a bitÖhome, rental properties, AS, etc. They work great in cramped areas. The MicroAir easy start butt connectors werenít big enough for the wires, so I used the WAGO connectors. I carry various sizes and types in the AS electrical kit. I canít remember the last time I used an old-school wire nut anywhere.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:15 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 13,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
I use the WAGO lever nuts quite a bitÖhome, rental properties, AS, etc. They work great in cramped areas. The MicroAir easy start butt connectors werenít big enough for the wires, so I used the WAGO connectors. I carry various sizes and types in the AS electrical kit. I canít remember the last time I used an old-school wire nut anywhere.
Hi

At least to me, the big advantage of the WAGO gizmos is that they deal with stranded wire better than wire nuts do. They still are not perfect for super fine strands.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't get water out of taps....new person bls72bmw Base Camp 14 04-11-2021 07:42 AM
City Water Not Making it to the taps/shower/toilet... Lara_From_NC Airstream Trailer Forums 7 02-05-2019 11:59 PM
still no hot water at the taps the welshman Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 8 01-20-2008 12:07 PM
Kitchen faucet taps needed michael foster Fresh Water Systems 4 01-13-2008 05:37 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.