Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yep, Uncle Sam nannies again. Oh well, I think I will take the plunge and buy the system with just the wireless camera; my mirrors are adequate without cameras. I do like the integration with my new truck. The video quality will be far better than my Garmin. I guess I will mount the camera high, like most everyone else, though I am tempted to put it just above the license plate, but I am not sure about wireless transmission from there.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'd put it up high. Down low tends to be bad at night when headlights behind you blind the camera.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Roger that. It will be installed in the truck tomorrow, my dealer is amazing. The tech has installed a few of these and he knows what he is doing. I'll get the camera on the trailer whenever it stops raining around here. I am going to use the Lewster, no holes, method.
Larry
Old 08-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Roger that. It will be installed in the truck tomorrow, my dealer is amazing. The tech has installed a few of these and he knows what he is doing. I'll get the camera on the trailer whenever it stops raining around here. I am going to use the Lewster, no holes, method.
Larry
Look forward to your report.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here is some more information I found internally in a bulletin....as an FYI. It also provides a bit of the FMVSS detail.

"Below are two operational characteristics that some customers may notice when using the three camera trailering system.

Issue 1 - When accessing the three camera trailering system, while the vehicle is already shifted into reverse, the system seems to delay/freeze up for several seconds.

Remedy 1- Upon every key-on cycle, the driver needs to press and hold the "BACK" button for 3 seconds to access the three camera tailering system and then acknowledge the "Safe Use Disclaimer" by pressing "OK". Doing this first, before shifting into reverse, will avoid any delay/freeze up.

IF the driver does not access the system and presses the "OK" prompt to acknowledge the "Safe Use Disclaimer", then the system delay/freeze up will exist for safety reasons while the vehicle is in reverse since the safety acceptance was not acknowledged prior to use.

Again, the way to avoid this delay/freeze up is to access the system while in park and acknowledge the "OK" on the "Safe Use Disclaimer" screen and then proceed to reverse.

Issue 2 - While in reverse, it takes longer than a 3 second press of the "BACK" button to access the three camera trailering system. Some customers may comment that they have to press and hold the "Back" button for approximately 7-8 seconds for the system to react. When in any other gear (Park, Drive, Neutral) it only takes a 3 second press of the "BACK" button to access the system.

Remedy 2 - When the vehicle is in reverse there is a longer delay of 7-8 seconds due to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) regulations, which states that when the vehicle is put into reverse, it is mandatory that the factory installed backup camera be displayed on the screen as a PRIORITY. After 5 seconds, the driver can then select to modify the backup camera image being displayed on the factory screen.

What this means is the factory installed backup camera must be displayed for 5 seconds prior to allowing the driver to switch to the three camera trailering system when in reverse."

Old 08-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Thanks, Rich. That is important information for anyone using the system. I do not remember seeing that on the Echomaster download.
Larry
Old 08-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

OK, my dealer installed the system in the truck and checked out the camera, took him a bit over an hour. $100 labor charge, not bad.
I was able to connect a cable to the clearance light but it was a PITA. I soldered and heat shrunk the connections to the light wires but could not get the bigger wires back down through the grommet in the trailer hole. Worked on it for an hour. Cannot test voltage until I connect the 7-way to the truck. It is now too rainy to mount the camera to the trailer.
I noticed the camera cable has a disconnect jack and a pairing button that do not appear waterproof. I contacted Echomaster tech support and they said that stuff goes into the hole you drill in the trailer and is sealed with the provided grommet. I told them I won't be drilling any holes as I have power externally.
They said cut off the pairing button and seal it all with heat shrink. Always something...it might dry out enough next week for me to finish this.
Larry
Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Temporarily connected the camera, works great! Wonderful resolution and view. It is really cool seeing the trailer rear view on the MyLink screen! Now I need some dry weather to attach the mount to the trailer.

Larry
Old 08-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Project complete with pics

I finally finished the installation since the rain held off. Of course, it was a bit more involved than planned. The camera is intended for the pair button and jack to be mounted behind the skin of the trailer, they even include a small hole saw. Not in my plan. But tech support is excellent at Echomaster and they told me just cut that stuff off and seal it all.
I used the Lewster VHB tape and Sikaflex method with no holes at all so I had to wait a few days after attaching the mount for the Sika to cure. Of course AS uses a color code of black is power and white is common, yes for DC, but I tested everything before soldering and sealing. Then I aimed the camera after mounting.
This is one slick setup, displayed nicely on the MyLink display.
Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01814.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	292286   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01818.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	292287