Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #1

Balto. , Maryland
Year-round Airstream living

Hello all. I would like to find out whether there might be a book or some other concentrated source of info which would identify and elaborate on the various things one would have to do to an Airstream travel trailer to make it a satisfactory year-round residence. Any suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob
rdorrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Hi Bob,
I don't recall a specific A/S book but, if you have any questions. I am sure someone on here help you with the answers.
ciao
53FC
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
Having lived full-time over 2yrs in an AS...I'm sure getting info from those of us who have lived the "life" would probably be more help than most books on the market ....plus we love it ...
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. I find the topic of interest too. Here's a couple of threads that address some aspects of your question:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ing-39724.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ity-26143.html

I like the angle of your question which focuses on aspects of AS trailers for full-timing?

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Do you intend to travel in the Airstream full-time (that is, moving periodically through the year) or are you intending to live in it stationery full time in the same location? This would make a difference in some of the information you might need. Some things need to be handled differently if the AS is going to be stationery for long periods of time. We do neither, but know that either possibility is do-able...and can be quite a wonderful lifestyle.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We live in our Airstream full-time. We spend a lot of time in one place, but the trailer is fully capable of being towed to a new location on a few hours' notice.
If you are going to live full-time in one spot, a small portable storage building is a very good idea. If you are planning to move around, you would want either a very small, very portable building, or do without and not carry the clutter. Be sure to "exercise" the systems at least monthly, so you don't get a suprise when you go to move the trailer.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Full time for 6 months so far....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorrett
<SNIPPY>
...the various things one would have to do to an Airstream travel trailer to make it a satisfactory year-round residence. Any suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob
Hi Bob

First, buy the trailer.

Second, move your gear into the trailer.

Third, pop the champagne and celebrate being in your new home.

We' be been living on the road since September 2000; in an Airstream 30' Classic since last November. We like this much better than h/motels or the tent that we used for 7+ years. And, the Ford F250 diesel is very nice.

From my perspective you have to live the life before you can find what you really want to add/modify. Experience is a great teacher. If you have had an RV previously that experience should help tremendously. For example, I had an RV in the early 1970's for several years. Hated the slinky sewer pipe and the associated process. I have a macerator for that job now and it is no longer a pain in the backside for me.

This forum and others provide a wealth of info that will help before you set off. I am a firm believer in having a plan for something like this. Preparation will be very beneficial. Just don't be in love with your plan. Be flexible and realize that you will be changing things quite a bit when you first start out and over the coming years.

Another example. We were traveling by motorcyle previously. We just had the pickup body on the truck replaced with a flat bed so we can load our motorcycle/sidecar to take it with us. After last winter without the bike we decided that we definitely wanted it back in our life. A big expense as well as changes for storage as the pickup cap and the bed slide are gone along with lots of storage space. Just another opportunity to get rid of more STUFF and continue to refine our packing methods.

Good luck to you in you quest...

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote