Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
COLUMBIA , Maryland
Greetings to all. I am new to this forum and don't own a Airstream yet. But it has crossed my mind....can anyone advise me as to what it's like actually living in one of these? I was looking at the Safari 23, if anyone has one can they give me their opinion on them/ Also, Is this your main home? (as if you live in their all the time?
NYPANAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
There's an excellent thread with pictures on silvergates 23' safari here. They fulltime in it, I believe.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...ast-29471.html

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
New Thread

I moved these posts and created this new thread. They had been posted in the Wal-Mart thread, and were off topic. I am bumping this thread back to the portal page as a new topic.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPANAMA
But it has crossed my mind....can anyone advise me as to what it's like actually living in one of these? I was looking at the Safari 23, if anyone has one can they give me their opinion on them/ Also, Is this your main home? (as if you live in their all the time?
We live in a 31' coach, and our rv park neighbors where we lived previously live in a 1973 Safari 23'. It's pretty tight for them, but they are doing it. Lots of sitting out under the awning for them, though. Only time during the day when they are both inside is if it is raining.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to ttam
I live in a 28SO three days a week, and if I had a better bed I could probably live in it full time. However I don't think two people could live comfortably unless you're REALLY conservative on keeping "stuff". And that includes clothes.
ttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Anything is possible if you set your mind right. Some folks spend the better part of their lives in 6'X8' catered luxury.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Cheyenne , Wyoming
I don't see where you mention how many in your party.
I'm pretty much full timing it right now in my 16 Bambi Int. with 2 medium size dogs. I don't usually use an oven or microwave so I don't miss those "convieniences". If I really think about it, I can't really come up with a good reason to head back home yet.
Wait, I do miss my front loading wash machine.
Blog
WyoRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Hi! Phil & I live from October through May in our 25' Excella AS with our two furkids, Brandi (German Shepherd/Lab) and Ki (Phantom) our rambunctious cat! We do have a 10 x 10 screen house with sides and floor that we can use a lot. The "kids" love being out in it. We usually are where it's warm enough to be outside a lot. It's a lot of fun... A/S trailers have a lot going for them.... easy to tow... easy to park... easy to heat & cool... lots of storage for the size. We talk about going to something bigger but we're having too much fun right now to trade!!!

Hope this helps...

Edee
Old 02-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
I have a 23, the longest my wife and i have stayed in it is two weeks, We are going cross country in April for 3 months to whenever we get back. I wouldn't want to live in it though, the bathroom is to small, shower is ok since i replaced the shower head that came with it. A 25 would be the smallest i would want to try living in for 6 months or so. We have a house in Alabama on smith lake, but will go to Florida for the winter, we will probably buy something bigger at that time. I'd probably rather live in a 5th wheel because of the slide outs. It gets kind of tight in the airstream sometimes. If you are even thinking of living in an airstream, get at least a 25 with the bigger bath, bigger bed and dinette. JMO
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
tonkawa , Oklahoma
We've had 3 people living in 32' or less for 15 years now, this includes a teenager! That works out less than 11' each. It is all a matter of mindset and organization. And getting rid of STUFF. Of course that saves money too.
$hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
_

. , .
hi again nyp....

looks like ya got 2 threads going now...

on basically the same topic.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ion-40033.html

so here are a couple older threads on this issue...

with more real life experiences.

the older thread has 2 of my favorite animated ava/gifs in it...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ream-6119.html

and post #14 in the thread below, contains some detailed living expense for year ('01)...

and lots of good f/t living bits...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ime-19219.html

the escapees, the club for all which is basically a 'full timers' organization...

has lots of resources for rv travelers thinking about the gypsy life.

while there are clearly folks who live ontheroadinanrv for years or even decades,

the average time for a typical "full time" experience is less than 2 years...

this statistic has a direct bearing on the COST issue,

because selling a house and ditching stuff, buying an rv (and other stuff), then buying another house (and stuff) or finding housing again so soon...

may not exactly be a long term money saving strategy...

i would NOT trade my full timin' time for anything (18 yrs ago)

but i'm also not anxious to ditch the stick house now either...

every situation is unique and ymmv.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
While I like the 23' Sig series and the new FB model, I just don't think we would be able to full-time in one. We had a 19' CCD and it was great when we were sleeping. I dreaded the rainstorm that would keep us inside with little space to get around one another or for Collin to play.

I guess it is possible as others HAVE done it, and don't it with a smaller trailer, but it isn't in the cards for us.

Steve
Old 03-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #13

Currently Looking...
Montrose , Colorado
My husband and I lived in our 1968 22 ft. Safari for two years--not travelling. We lived in an RV park for a year and on our own property (with home in unliveable condition) for a year. With a cat. I loved it. My husband didn't mind it, but was a little more claustrophobic about it than I was. It was traumatic for me when we moved out of the Safari and into the house....
Boler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
It's the best possible life

I am coming up on a my first anniversary as a full-timer in a 25 foot 1973 Tradewind. I love love love it. You can see photos and read about my life on the road at www.utahredrock.com

I can't recommend it highly enough. 23 feet would be plenty big.

Cheers,
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
If you have an opportunity to try before you buy (i.e., renting a trailer), that might help answer your question. The length of the trailer one is comfortable in is very subjective, i.e., I love our 19' trailer but have camping friends who wouldn't camp in anything less than 28'.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We know a couple who travel in their 19' vintage Globetrotter for 9-12 months straight without a problem. They have a cap on the bed of their F-250 and use most of the bed for storage, and they cook outside whenever they can. They see their trailer as simply the means to the full-time existence - the place to eat, sleep, shower, etc. - and a base from which to explore every day. They've done it for years, traveling from Novia Scotia to Florida to California to Alaska and everywhere in between, and seem quite happy with the size. They have a bigger trailer docked at an Airstream park for the times they're not traveling but like the smaller trailer for being on the road.